Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #121
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
How come the Comedy Network moved Daily Show/Colbert back to 12 midnight?

Thought the move to 11 was permanent and Conan was on at 12?

Weird.
Comedy and CTV are owned by the same company, right? I bet they prevented Comedy from airing Conan before CTV so as to not cannibalize viewership and ad revenue for CTV.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #122
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Comedy and CTV are owned by the same company, right? I bet they prevented Comedy from airing Conan before CTV so as to not cannibalize viewership and ad revenue for CTV.
I watched Conan at 10 on Comedy east, couldn't find it any earlier than 11 on any of the east CTV channels. Unless I'm just blind and didn't see it.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #123
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I didn't find it all that great. Am I the only one? His interviews seemed pretty tame.
I didn't really find it that tame. I thought he catered well to the interviewee. Seth Rogan was pretty wild, so Conan just let him loose. Whereas the girl from Glee is obviously not the same type of person. It's not like Conan's gonna force her to go nude, get drunk on stage and drop f-bombs just because "it's cable".

I also thought he had a good monologue, which is normally his weakness. Mind you, he had like 9 months to work on it heh.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #124
Prototype

Exp:

He seemed to be very green again, but not the train wreck that was his first Tonight Show. I think he needs a month, like any other host... new or experienced... in a new environment.

People said the same thing about his last show, about Leno when he had the earlier show, and Fallon with his new job. It takes a bit to get into a routine.

I didn't like all the pacing, and walking up to the audience, during the opening, but for the most part, for being off the air for almost a year, I thought he did alright. I don't think Seth Rogan did him any favours with that interview.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #125
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I was just excited for him to be back because at the time I loved it. After looking back and reading some of your comments there are some good points, I still enjoyed it though.

I think Tom Hanks will be good, seems to be someone Conan trusts, I can't see any way that the interview isn't better than the one with Seth Rogan.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #126
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I watched Conan at 10 on Comedy east, couldn't find it any earlier than 11 on any of the east CTV channels. Unless I'm just blind and didn't see it.
It would have been on at 10pm MT on the CTV Atlantic feed, since I watched it at 1am
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #127
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Not a bad opener. The monologue was funny and so was the opening bit.

Though, I was hoping that he would break from the traditional mold a bit more. The set looks a lot like the last one, pretty much the usual format of monologue, 2 actors, 1 music act. He's using all the same moves and little jokes as before.

I think I was just hoping with a show built from the ground up and what I'm assuming is full creative control that they would try to be different. Conan is pretty funny, but his shows are not always that consistent. If it continues the way it does I probably will start watching less and less until it's only highlights on youtube when he has a really good sketch or guest. But I'll keep watching and hopefully things work out well.

Craig Ferguson seems to be the only one I can watch on a fairly consistent basis right now

Last edited by RW99; 11-09-2010 at 10:21 AM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #128
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i liked the show. had to pvr it cause out here its on at 1am!!! conan is still conan and the show will improve once he gets a bit more settled in.
henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #129
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't great in my opinion, but honestly I thought that it was bogged down in all of the baggage of the last year. Once he gets beyond that and is just doing his own thing again, he should get more comfortable with it all.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #130
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The best moments will come from the comedy bits. No one really remembers monologues and interviews so much.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #131
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

To be honest, I never found Conan to be that funny and still don't. I find his humour to be a little infantile at times and at other times old and worn. I found the commercials significantly funnier than the show. That being said, I don't find any of the late night talkshows funny. They're too formulaic and unoriginal. The notable exceptions being The Daily Show and Colbert Report but I'm not sure you can place them in the same category as Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #132
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
To be honest, I never found Conan to be that funny and still don't. I find his humour to be a little infantile at times and at other times old and worn. I found the commercials significantly funnier than the show. That being said, I don't find any of the late night talkshows funny. They're too formulaic and unoriginal. The notable exceptions being The Daily Show and Colbert Report but I'm not sure you can place them in the same category as Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc.
as was said before, Conan's best parts are always the comedy bits. that's what makes The Daily Show and Colbert Report so great, they strip away the boring stuff like monologues, generic celebrity guests, and music acts (for the most part), and what you're left with is a highly entertaining half hour, instead of a mildly entertaining hour with a few good bits

i was hoping that Conan's show would be more like his last couple of weeks doing The Tonight Show. when all the dusts was settled and he knew he was moving on, he completely let loose and those were the most entertaining talk shows i've ever watched
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #133
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_781051.html

Conan O'Brien's return to television demolished his late night competition in the ratings.

The premiere of "Conan" on TBS drew 4.2 million viewers, with a whopping 3.3 million of them in the coveted 18-49 demographic.

By contrast, 3.5 million viewers tuned into Jay Leno's "Tonight Show," with 950,000 in the 18-49 demo, and David Letterman's "Late Show" drew 3.4 million viewers, with 1.4 million in the demo.

Of course, the ratings for O'Brien will likely drop in the coming weeks, but he and TBS can still cheer about the figures for his debut.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #134
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

holy crap, so over 70% of Jay Leno's viewership is over 50. i think he's one of the only people in TV who's ratings will go down due to "natural causes"
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #135
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Leno's first 10pm show got massive ratings as well, I bet if they get 1/4th of that consistently that will be good enough for TBS
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #136
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

It was just good seeing him back on TV. I fully expect him to get into his groove like he was on Late Night, where he'll shine at times. What made him great is the fact some of his bits bombed and others were complete genius.

On the Tonight Show, it was like he was afraid to bomb (kept from trying?), so he never went for the Hail Mary pass
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #137
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 08-31-2015 at 02:53 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #138
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It seemed like he was trying too hard, and focused on the NBC stuff way too much, once he gets comfortable and gets a few more shows in he will be fine. Conan's best stuff is always the out of studio stuff, so I really hope we see a great 10 minute long segment soon, I think a lot of that stuff was sorely missed from the Tonight Show and needs to be brought back to "Conan".

Richer was great though, he had some hilarious lines.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #139
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I was shocked to read a bunch of negative reviews taht said Conan looked overly nervous and jumpy. That he seemed desperate for a laugh on every joke he told etc.

Obviously these idiots have never watched a single episode of Conan. His whole schtick is being nervous and twitchy as well as self depreciating.

He seemed exactly how I remember him except with more anticipation.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #140
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Obviously these idiots have never watched a single episode of Conan. His whole schtick is being nervous and twitchy as well as self depreciating.

I suppose, but it's the pundits that seem to be writing him off.....
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy , conan , late , lol , night