Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2017, 01:18 AM   #121
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

WOW!!! Awesome!! Good for you Denis Istomin.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #122
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Istomin is only in the tournament because he won a wildcard playoff in December. Last week he lost in the second round...of a challenger. This is one of the biggest upsets ever. Milos has a wide open path to the final now. And Andy Murray has a pretty good chance to be #1 for the entire year now with the huge points hit this is for Novak.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:25 AM   #123
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is also the earliest Novak has gone out of a major since 2008, also the last time he lost to a player outside the top 100 if you rightfully exclude losing to Del Potro last year. Suffice to say he's going to be dealing with some Boris Becker questions between now and Paris.

And one of the following now gets to the SF out of Novak's quarter

Thiem
Thompson
Paire
Fognini
Karlovic
Goffin
Dimitrov
Gasquet
Carreño
Istomin

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 01-19-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 AM   #124
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Thats crazy news to wake up to. They are still going. Nadal just won the first set.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #125
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I for one am certainly glad I stayed up to watch the Istomin - Joker match in its entirety. Just fantastic tennis from Denis, I thought after the 3rd set that he was done, but he found another gear. In the 5th set, the look on Joker's face was just stunned disbelief (like how is this guy continuing to make shot after shot).
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #126
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.celebitchy.com/520409/as_...enus_williams/

Furious tennis fans have called for an American commentator to be fired after he was accused of comparing African-American tennis superstar Venus Williams to a gorilla at the Australian Open. The controversial comment was made by ESPN’s Doug Adler during Williams’ second-round match at the first Slam of the year in Melbourne against Stefanie Voegele. The 59-year-old former professional player was describing the pressure Williams was putting on the second serve of her Swiss opponent.

‘She misses a first serve and Venus is all over her,’ Adler said. ‘You see Venus move in and put the gorilla effect on. Charging.’

What it provoked was a wave of outrage on social media, including from New York Times tennis writer Ben Rothenberg who was furious at the comment.

‘This is some appalling stuff,’ Rothenberg tweeted. ‘Horrifying that the Williams sisters remained subjected to it still in 2017.’

But Rothenberg was not alone in feeling horror at the remark with Richard Ings tweeting: ‘That is unacceptable commentary. Appalling stuff.’

Victoria Chiesa tweeted that it wasn’t the first time that Adler had overstepped the mark but this was a new low. ‘Doug Adler’s said some awful things in the commentary booth before, but this is next-level disgusting,’ Chiesa wrote.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #127
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
This is also the earliest Novak has gone out of a major since 2008, also the last time he lost to a player outside the top 100 if you rightfully exclude losing to Del Potro last year. Suffice to say he's going to be dealing with some Boris Becker questions between now and Paris.

And one of the following now gets to the SF out of Novak's quarter

Thiem
Thompson
Paire
Fognini
Karlovic
Goffin
Dimitrov
Gasquet
Carreño
Istomin
Looking at the list as well as their current form, I would have to pick Dimitrov (even though I believe Thiem is the highest seeded player).
Old 01-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #128
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Istomin in the post-match interview...

"First of all, I feel sorry for Novak - I was playing so good today. *sheepish grin* I surprise myself also today. Mom, we do good job!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #129
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post

Furious tennis fans have called for an American commentator to be fired after he was accused of comparing African-American tennis superstar Venus Williams to a gorilla at the Australian Open. The controversial comment was made by ESPN’s Doug Adler during Williams’ second-round match at the first Slam of the year in Melbourne against Stefanie Voegele. The 59-year-old former professional player was describing the pressure Williams was putting on the second serve of her Swiss opponent.

‘She misses a first serve and Venus is all over her,’ Adler said. ‘You see Venus move in and put the gorilla effect on. Charging.’

What it provoked was a wave of outrage on social media, including from New York Times tennis writer Ben Rothenberg who was furious at the comment.

‘This is some appalling stuff,’ Rothenberg tweeted. ‘Horrifying that the Williams sisters remained subjected to it still in 2017.’

But Rothenberg was not alone in feeling horror at the remark with Richard Ings tweeting: ‘That is unacceptable commentary. Appalling stuff.’

Victoria Chiesa tweeted that it wasn’t the first time that Adler had overstepped the mark but this was a new low. ‘Doug Adler’s said some awful things in the commentary booth before, but this is next-level disgusting,’ Chiesa wrote.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #130
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think Milos has gone to another level. He was winning the long rallys, he was agressive in making winners, and at times showed a soft touch with drop shots.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #131
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think Milos has gone to another level. He was winning the long rallys, he was agressive in making winners, and at times showed a soft touch with drop shots.
He was also playing scrubbs.
Tomorrow will be a test. Simon is the tour's road runner. Runs forever, gets everything back and has sneaky power.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #132
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
He was also playing scrubbs.
Tomorrow will be a test. Simon is the tour's road runner. Runs forever, gets everything back and has sneaky power.
Yeah he has been at this level since the start of last season. If anything, these early matches against inferior players has made me a little hesitant of him this week.

I expect to see something similar to his level at the tour finals the rest of the way in Melbourne now that he will be playing competent players.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #133
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Djokovic lose the first set and I turned off the TV thinking Novak will pull up his socks and dominate the next 3 sets. Totally shocked to see this when I woke up this morning.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #134
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't watch a lot of tennis (just the occasional match during a major) but that Djocovic and Istoban match may have been one of the highest quality matches i've seen.

If Istoban plays like that on a regular basis, he's a top 10 player in the world.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #135
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a reminder...

Kelcey Brade ‏@KelceyBradeTSN
Watch Genie's 3rd round match vs CoCo Vandeweghe on TSN 1/3 @ 7pET/4pPT.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #136
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an amazing match and a huge upset. The first game took 18 minutes so Djokovic suggested going straight to a tie breaker. They probably should have as the first set went to one anyways.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #137
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

he apologized today. Said he was referring to guerrilla tactics.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #138
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
he apologized today. Said he was referring to guerrilla tactics.
The whole ordeal is dumb. I didn't catch a racist undertone. I think it's a case of people trying to be offended.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #139
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
If Istoban plays like that on a regular basis, he's a top 10 player in the world.
and that's why he's not a top 10 player...there's tons of examples even in recent years where a titan was brought down by scrub that played the match of his life. there's a very high chance that Istomin plays horribly next round and goes out in straights.

tennis players are often more like switches rather than sliding scales, they can be just totally on or off. the best ones just happen to be "on" a greater percentage of their matches, that's something that improves as they reach their prime, and goes down as they age past it.

now that holes are being punched in Djoker's aura of invincibility, he'll gradually start to find himself in situations like current Rafa and Fed, where he's just inexplicably off more frequently, and his opponents are emboldened to swing as hard as they can and see what happens.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #140
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Two different feeds of the Genie match, including one that is not ESPN.

TSN's four regional feeds may be the same content 95% of the time, but it pays off in moments like this.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 01-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: