Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #121
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I move to ban you.

That, or you're going on my ignore list for polluting a perfectly good beer thread with this garbage.
I agree with this!

People who don't drink Blue aren't snobs, they just have functioning taste buds!
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #122
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

I don't have the time this thread requires right now. I'll just put up a few pics to speak for me right now. I shall return!

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #123
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last edited by Sainters7; 06-03-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #124
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
^^^^

Beer made in the malt liquor or blonde ale style might work for you. Lose bitterness of hops. Maybe because my first full bottle was a cast off (too bitter for my father) my preference is towards heavier beer.
Or maybe I'm destined to be a cooler guy

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #125
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Thats why people hate gin, because it is usually accompanied with a story of puking in public with many people watching and followed by passing up and people drawing on him and teabagging.
Or as Locke likes to call this, "Every Tuesday Night."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #126
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I got into this last weekend, and it was a very good beer. Pretty expensive at 3 bucks a bottle, but it was some good stuff.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #127
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I feel so left out.. I've never tried a beer I didn't hate. I just can't stand the taste.

My taste buds must be mutated.

Same thing with coffee, I almost gag drinking it, maybe I have hyperactive bitter taste?
I have that hyperactive bitter gene, though I find it mostly in green veggies. Took me a long time to like the taste of broccoli for example. I don't know if the same chemical is in beer.

But by that token, it took me a year or so to acquire a taste for beer. Still though, I enjoy broccoli now and I REALLY enjoy beer, especially many different kinds.

For me it just seems to quench my thirst better than any other beverage. (Except water, which I always drink a lot of.) I don't like pop, too sweet except for rare occasions, and can only drink so much juice. I don't drink milk.

Even aside from the obvious benefits/side effects of beer, I have to say, I just really prefer the taste of it compared to most other beverages. You can sip it slowly and make it last if you just want the flavor, or of course, you can drink it more quickly and get the party started

There's truth to the association theory too. I find it a very social beverage. Even if you're not drinking enough to get drunk, it's nice to invite a few friends over for a beer, or hit a new pub and see what they have on tap and talk to the bartender or perhaps others at the bar.

Can't really do that with a big gulp.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #128
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I got into this last weekend, and it was a very good beer. Pretty expensive at 3 bucks a bottle, but it was some good stuff.
$3 a bottle? There's gotta be somewhere you can get it cheaper than that. I'm a big fan as well and I buy it for $18 a 12-pack. We're in different cities, obviously, but there can't be that much of a price difference between Montreal and Calgary, can there?
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #129
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I don't believe anyone actually likes the taste of beer per se, but they are tasting the memory associated with the taste of the beer from a past drinking experience that they relish. Like Flip, he loves pilsner because that is the drink he tasted on lips when he first got drunk and then felt up his sister in Regina when he was 8.

Thats why people hate gin, because it is usually accompanied with a story of puking in public with many people watching and followed by passing up and people drawing on him and teabagging.
While I never felt up my sister when I was 8, I do only like Pil because that is what people in Regina/Rider fans have always drank. I don't normally drink the stuff if I'm not in Regina or watching the Riders.

There is a really good Jim Jefferies clip from his HBO special called I Swear to God but I can't find it on youtube. He explains that no one likes the taste of alcohol, we drink it because we have to. In a way it is true. Beer tastes a lot better when you've had 6 already.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #130
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
While I never felt up my sister when I was 8, I do only like Pil because that is what people in Regina/Rider fans have always drank. I don't normally drink the stuff if I'm not in Regina or watching the Riders.

There is a really good Jim Jefferies clip from his HBO special called I Swear to God but I can't find it on youtube. He explains that no one likes the taste of alcohol, we drink it because we have to. In a way it is true. Beer tastes a lot better when you've had 6 already.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #131
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
$3 a bottle? There's gotta be somewhere you can get it cheaper than that. I'm a big fan as well and I buy it for $18 a 12-pack. We're in different cities, obviously, but there can't be that much of a price difference between Montreal and Calgary, can there?
Depending on the Liqour store sometimes you can't even get a 12 pack of Kieths for $18. I have never seen Leffe for that cheap.. I have only every seen it for $2.50 - $3.00/bottle.
@theCBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #132
Zarathustra
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some beer from New Zealand

Me and my friend saw this at a grocery store and had to buy it, just for the name. Epic Pale Ale! Well it turned out to be the worst beer I've ever had, it was undrinkable. Worse than 40oz beer.

My favourite NZ beer was Tui.

I was exposed to Tiger beer while in NZ, and I liked it a lot.

Last edited by Zarathustra; 06-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #133
CrusaderPi
Redundant Minister of Redundancy
Self-Banned

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
Some beer from New Zealand

Me and my friend saw this at a grocery store and had to buy it, just for the name. Epic Pale Ale! Well it turned out to be the worst beer I've ever had, it was undrinkable. Worse than 40oz beer.
Epic fail
CrusaderPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #134
Zarathustra
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderPi View Post
Epic fail
It really was. What a disappointment.
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #135
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Despite the wording, has anyone ever made a Dirty Hoe? How is it? It's a pint of Hoegaarden at the bottom and Guiness at the top. I assume there is no special pouring trick other than half a pint of Hoegaarden first and then half a pint of Guiness?
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #136
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Despite the wording, has anyone ever made a Dirty Hoe? How is it? It's a pint of Hoegaarden at the bottom and Guiness at the top. I assume there is no special pouring trick other than half a pint of Hoegaarden first and then half a pint of Guiness?
Sounds like it would go well with a Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against The Wall.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #137
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

I finally went to Big Rock thursday and took a tour and it was awesome! For $25 you get a tour of the entire facility for over an hour from an old guy that has been working there for a long time and is quite knowledgeable. Before hand we had a few samples and afterwards had samples of 11 different beers that probably was a little more than 2 pints. In total, I probably had just shy of 3 pints while there. Then, you get to take home a 6 pack of 6 beers of your choosing (as in mix and match, you could get 6 singles of different Big Rock brews). I highly recommend it.
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #138
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I enjoy a pigs a$$ now and then
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #139
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Crown Float - to some, ruining a perfectly good Guiness; to others, an opportunity to drink Guiness without bloating; and for others, looking like you're drinking Guiness without grimacing.

Oh yeah, Guiness floating on top of Cider (often, Strongbow.)
Old 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #140
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Crown Float - to some, ruining a perfectly good Guiness; to others, an opportunity to drink Guiness without bloating; and for others, looking like you're drinking Guiness without grimacing.

Oh yeah, Guiness floating on top of Cider (often, Strongbow.)
That sounds awful. Then again I'm not a big cider fan.

I have never found that Guinness makes me feel bloated. It make be thick but it has much less carbonation than your typical lager.
@theCBE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty