Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 09:43 PM   #121
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
His ego.
How so?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:50 PM   #122
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
This is really infuriating. In what world does a competent GM not protect a top 3 or 5 pick at all costs, especially in a trade that you only made to gain cap space? This makes sense if you acquired some young stud. God I really really dislike BT.
In a world where the GM is already looking at potential future GM positions with other organizations after the season and is planning an exit strategy. I think he went all in hoping to have a good season to build his resume, but he already knew the pick conditions wouldn't end up being his problem.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:59 PM   #123
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
How so?
I call it the cornflower blue icon problem. Just gotta add your own thing to say that you did.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:02 PM   #124
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I call it the cornflower blue icon problem. Just gotta add your own thing to say that you did.
lol I’m into the bourbon tonight so I have no idea what cornflower blue icon is
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:09 PM   #125
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This is really infuriating. In what world does a competent GM not protect a top 3 or 5 pick at all costs, especially in a trade that you only made to gain cap space? This makes sense if you acquired some young stud. God I really really dislike BT.
Been a time or two i thought he maybe did her purpose.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:04 PM   #126
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can't protect a top-3 pick at all costs. If you protect it one year, it generally rolls over and becomes an unprotected pick the following year. GMs don't like to accept trades involving a pick that is protected more than once, because their careers might be over by the time their team finally receives it.

Look at the Hanifin trade. The 2025 1st was protected, but since the conditions were met, it becomes a 2026 1st – unprotected.

It takes two to tango. In the circumstances, when Treliving was trying to trade a pick that already had conditions on it, there was a limit to how much BS in the way of additional conditions the Habs were willing to accept. I think the trade probably reached that limit exactly, because I've never seen a more complicated one.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:23 PM   #127
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
lol I’m into the bourbon tonight so I have no idea what cornflower blue icon is

I see this a lot with lawyers when we draw up contracts.

"I'd like to add this useless clause."
Old 03-09-2024, 11:41 PM   #128
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, from a bargaining position standpoint, no team would've backed out from a deal if he put in that extra condition. OVER CAP SPACE! Unbelievable at the time and even worse now. Gosh I hate this thing hanging over our head.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 12:00 AM   #129
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tre seemed like a hard working GM but I really dislike how he basically quit on the team and was more interested in his own quest for glory than the team itself. It seemed like his last year he was focussed on leaving and checked out. He knew that this mess was going to be a bad look for him and selfishly left knowing someone else would have to clean it up.

In comparison when Darryl was GM he made some pretty awful moves but I never questioned his loyalty to the organization. He was committed right to the end but ultimately his body of work was his downfall. Tre took the easy way out and ended up getting the “dream job” being in Canada’s hottest market where your job is a lot easier due to the fact that UFA’s actually want to join the organization.

I’m glad Conroy is driving the bus right now for two reasons. First, he makes moves that Tre wouldn’t do such as giving youngsters a chance and not wasting picks for depth/washed up role players. Secondly I believe he is committed to the Flames 100% and would have a sense of pride and ownership if he messed up as bad as Tre did. No taking you ball and running away for the next opportunity.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 01:14 AM   #130
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Tre seemed like a hard working GM but I really dislike how he basically quit on the team and was more interested in his own quest for glory than the team itself. It seemed like his last year he was focussed on leaving and checked out. He knew that this mess was going to be a bad look for him and selfishly left knowing someone else would have to clean it up.
Do you honestly believe Bean and the owners just sat there and watched Treliving deliberately wreck their team out of spite? Ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:01 AM   #131
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving tried to build a winner last year but...

1. The coach apparently went off the deep end and created a toxic atmosphere

2. The goalie went from Vezina quality thw year before to literally the worst starting goalie in the league

3. Huberdeau went from 115 point player to 50 point player

Treliving didn't try to sewer the Flames it just happened
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 03:03 AM   #132
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frost seems to be back in Tort's doghouse(at least in practice). I think PHI will move him this summer, and hopefully the Flames will be in on it.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 04:20 AM   #133
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Frost seems to be back in Tort's doghouse(at least in practice). I think PHI will move him this summer, and hopefully the Flames will be in on it.
If John Tortorella doesn’t like the way you play hockey, that says more about you than him.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 06:20 AM   #134
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Do you honestly believe Bean and the owners just sat there and watched Treliving deliberately wreck their team out of spite? Ridiculous.
To be clear I don’t agree with Ferrari but it doesn’t have to be Bean sitting back and letting anything happen. Treliving has to bring a compelling vision that suits the hockey and business side to Bean. What’s clean is they went all in towards the end with a series of short sighted moves - doubling down on Huberdeau with a long term deal; signing Kadri to a long term deal; dealing Monahan with futures high picks to get rid of him. Those should be questioned. Could be an organizational failure or specifically on Trelivings head.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:39 AM   #135
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
To be clear I don’t agree with Ferrari but it doesn’t have to be Bean sitting back and letting anything happen. Treliving has to bring a compelling vision that suits the hockey and business side to Bean. What’s clean is they went all in towards the end with a series of short sighted moves - doubling down on Huberdeau with a long term deal; signing Kadri to a long term deal; dealing Monahan with futures high picks to get rid of him. Those should be questioned. Could be an organizational failure or specifically on Trelivings head.
Considering the Flames wanted Treliving back, I suspect the state of the team as it was and as it is now, was due to an organizational decision on their direction. Ie: stay competitive.

For all we know, Treliving may have been advocating for a rebuild/retool behind the scenes anyway. After all, the history of this team, long before Treliving entered the picture, is to avoid rebuilding at all costs. The only time they’ve done it is when it was forced on them. Treliving decision to leave may have been, in part, due to the lack of autonomy. Maybe he felt he had done all he could and it was Conroy’s time. Clearly, he didn’t need to worry much about his reputation around the league and would land on his feet in short order.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:56 AM   #136
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If CGY’s pick is top-10 and Florida’s is not: Montreal gets Florida’s
If CGY’s pick is not top-10: Montreal gets the better of the two picks
If CGY and FLA’s picks are both top-10: Montreal gets CGY’s pick unless it is 1st overall
We should sticky this somewhere.....
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:06 AM   #137
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Considering the Flames wanted Treliving back, I suspect the state of the team as it was and as it is now, was due to an organizational decision on their direction.
I find the organization to be rudderless and have no idea what they are doing, allowing the players to drive direction of the hockey club. Been that way since Treliving arrived and has continued under Conroy. Yes, Conroy dealt his UFAs as he stated, but it was extremely disturbing to hear him say he was trying to sign guys right up until the moment he traded them. That showed no resolve, no plan, and no desire to have control over your players. That was frustrating but explained so much.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:25 AM   #138
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I find the organization to be rudderless and have no idea what they are doing, allowing the players to drive direction of the hockey club. Been that way since Treliving arrived and has continued under Conroy. Yes, Conroy dealt his UFAs as he stated, but it was extremely disturbing to hear him say he was trying to sign guys right up until the moment he traded them. That showed no resolve, no plan, and no desire to have control over your players. That was frustrating but explained so much.
It's also a negotiation tactic. Moreover, it means that Hanifin at $7.5M x 8 would've been worth more to the Flames than what they got back for him, which I tend to agree with. The direction of this team is to have a constant influx of Wranglers, and have competition from within to fill the bottom of the roster and some spots higher up the lineup.

Conroy seemed to negotiate hard, both on trades, and on contract extensions. He only made his moves after his price was met or he ran out of time. He didn't move Markstrom for a subpar return, and he wasn't shy about retaining salary to get more assets.

The prices for rentals last year were higher, but that's something you can't control, and it's still better than letting our UFAs walk for nothing.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:28 AM   #139
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you everyone for explaining the conditions around Florida's 1st. I was hoping there was a chance the flames could have both Vegas' 1st and Florida's 1st in 2026.
My hopes and dreams have been crushed like an Oilers fan excited to buy that new pair of sweatpants that will never go on sale.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:46 AM   #140
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
“extremely disturbing”

Who says CP is over the top?

It really just meant his plan isn’t to do a scorched earth rebuild, never has been, never will be, and it’s tough to know how many times that needs to be clear before people stop acting shocked and “disturbed” when that information is reiterated.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good