Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 10:17 AM   #13901
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bike polo already exists. Are you allergic to fun stuff?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:21 AM   #13902
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm going to invent a game similar to Polo but its going to be Golfists on Bicycles hitting balls around, I'm going to sponsor a tournament.

Then I'm going to take my helicopter and Napalm the whole place from the air.

Then potentially nuke the site from Orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
It probably already exists considering that bike soccer exists.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:23 AM   #13903
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm going to invent a game similar to Polo but its going to be Golfists on Bicycles hitting balls around, I'm going to sponsor a tournament.

Then I'm going to take my helicopter and Napalm the whole place from the air.

Then potentially nuke the site from Orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

Can you drop me off at Kananaskis before you drop the bomb...
Old 03-26-2024, 10:32 AM   #13904
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Bike polo already exists. Are you allergic to fun stuff?

Nobody becomes an accountant because they love having fun.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:41 AM   #13905
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Fair observation.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:29 PM   #13906
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Alberta having a frozen hash brown shortage? Haven’t been able to buy them anywhere in Windsor/Essex County for months! Not the patties, the regular kind. Tiny little cubes.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 04:33 PM   #13907
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Is Alberta having a frozen hash brown shortage? Haven’t been able to buy them anywhere in Windsor/Essex County for months! Not the patties, the regular kind. Tiny little cubes.

Basically hail-sized.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 05:22 PM   #13908
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i have to send emails with explanations like above at least once/week and it gets old having to explain over and over again that your "cool" logo won't work. if the guys designing the logos had any clue about the limitations of other industries it could save future headaches.

In a similar vein, I wish "Uncle Bob" would stop dispensing tax advice to people...how often I have to explain why what Uncle Bob has told someone they can do is..illegal, not possible, doesn't really apply in their situation, is really really stupid and just asking for an audit, or is wrong on so many levels there isn't an Income Tax Act big enough to cover it all. For free, of course, because charging people for something they "can't do" (but think they can) is a good way to lose clients. As I move to retirement this process becomes easier. :-)
Old 03-26-2024, 05:23 PM   #13909
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

Really? Think I might disagree with that.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:18 PM   #13910
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:06 PM   #13911
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

$75 to take my kiddo bowling for the first time. Just me and him. Couldn't pay for just a half hour, 60 min minimum. Of course after 28 mins in it was about perfect and he'd have been perfectly happy to be done. Of course we were a pretty unusual case, but still bloody expensive!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:14 PM   #13912
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is pretty expensive. I went to the spot around Pacific Place and I don’t recall it being that much for 3 of us a year or two ago.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:48 AM   #13913
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
In a similar vein, I wish "Uncle Bob" would stop dispensing tax advice to people...how often I have to explain why what Uncle Bob has told someone they can do is..illegal, not possible, doesn't really apply in their situation, is really really stupid and just asking for an audit, or is wrong on so many levels there isn't an Income Tax Act big enough to cover it all. For free, of course, because charging people for something they "can't do" (but think they can) is a good way to lose clients. As I move to retirement this process becomes easier. :-)
What people also don't understand is that there's hundreds of ways to file your taxes correctly/strategize for tax purposes. It sometimes depends on your situation. The answer is always "it depends". What many other people also don't seem to understand is that accountants often deals with rules and law. People think accountants primarily deal with numbers. Actually the classification is more important than the number. This is completely different than doing something that is completely wrong. Also, what some people can do for tax purposes, others cannot.

Some clients though... I've basically distilled it down to, "You can try and do whatever you want. It doesn't mean I will be helping you do it." The business relationship ceased when they actually tried to do those crazy things.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:44 AM   #13914
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
$75 to take my kiddo bowling for the first time. Just me and him. Couldn't pay for just a half hour, 60 min minimum. Of course after 28 mins in it was about perfect and he'd have been perfectly happy to be done. Of course we were a pretty unusual case, but still bloody expensive!
Jesus h.. $75 for throwing balls down a lane.

How are families supposed to do family things in the future with how rates for these things have climbed?

That's bordering on immoral for a company to charge a parent and child that to play a game.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:11 AM   #13915
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Where was this? I was looking at going on a date recently and thought we would do dinner, bowling and a movie or something. I was making sure that the bowling alley was open and wen to make a reso. I saw it was like $65 an hour and was stunned.

I recall a few years ago we would go with friends and we would pay for a few games and be done with it. It wasn't expensive. Now it seems oddly expensive
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:08 AM   #13916
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is nuts. Different province I know but I just looked up where I used to bowl as a kid and the prices now are:

$35.40 per lane per hour or$5.56 per game, plus shoe rental which is $3.54 for an adult.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:12 AM   #13917
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Jesus h.. $75 for throwing balls down a lane.

How are families supposed to do family things in the future with how rates for these things have climbed?

That's bordering on immoral for a company to charge a parent and child that to play a game.
That’s also the price for 6 people to bowl for an hour though.

You can find places that charge per game rather than per hour. Then it’s like $10 per person
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 08:19 AM   #13918
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

In fairness to the bowling conversation. For a family or a date, the cost is probably not getting split. If you're bowling with a few friends 15-20 each for an hour isn't really that bad. There's worse entertainment that's more expensive for sure.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM   #13919
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What people also don't understand is that there's hundreds of ways to file your taxes correctly/strategize for tax purposes. It sometimes depends on your situation. The answer is always "it depends". What many other people also don't seem to understand is that accountants often deals with rules and law. People think accountants primarily deal with numbers. Actually the classification is more important than the number. This is completely different than doing something that is completely wrong. Also, what some people can do for tax purposes, others cannot.

Some clients though... I've basically distilled it down to, "You can try and do whatever you want. It doesn't mean I will be helping you do it." The business relationship ceased when they actually tried to do those crazy things.
I hate hearing people tell me that they are allowed to deduct all sorts of things when they file taxes because so and so does it. Sure you can put whatever you want on your return, doesn't mean it's actually allowable. It's just waiting for CRA to come audit you is all.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilverKast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 09:45 AM   #13920
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know, I don't think anyone is getting rich in having a bowling alley.

$75 for the hour. Unless you are having 20 beers I doubt they make anything.

Probably 4-5 hours of prime earning hours a day, less earlier in the week. Massive footprint, so their taxes and rent must be huge. Decent power costs to keep that place warm and functioning. Maintaining some oldass mechanical infrastructure, parts always moving and thus failing. Probably need some sort of mechanic on staff.

Maintaining the grossass shoes and balls and pins. Probably have to refloor periodically.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post: