Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2024, 09:23 PM   #13861
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Jaime from Yellowstone is such a terrible irredeemable person
Beth is worse. I can't figure out how the hell she is so ####ing popular. I guess foul-mouthed, cruel, and getting beaten near death is somehow this demographic's idea of a good female character.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 09:36 PM   #13862
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
I'm watching Shameless now -- only on S2E4, but holy crap, I don't think there's a TV character I'd like to see offed more than the dad so far. (I already know he doesn't judging by his episode count on IMDB). Absolutely nothing redeeming about him so far
Frank cannot be offed.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:20 AM   #13863
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Having done the ceremony before I probably wouldn't bother going if my kids invited me to the ceremony. It is boring as hell. I would just tell them to go and we can meet up for dinner and drinks afterwards.
I've never actually been to a single one of my graduation ceremonies going all the way back to high school, and I have acquired quite a few parchments with my name on them since. I just hate events like that.

As I recall the high school ceremony was at the Jubilee with like 20,000 other students, and I arrived with the intention of attending, but said to hell with this at the sight of the gong show. I assume they're all like that.

Zero regrets.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:43 AM   #13864
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

People who drive at unnecessary speeds in car parks. The risk/reward ratio is completely out of whack.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:36 AM   #13865
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
I'm watching Shameless now -- only on S2E4, but holy crap, I don't think there's a TV character I'd like to see offed more than the dad so far. (I already know he doesn't judging by his episode count on IMDB). Absolutely nothing redeeming about him so far
That's kind of the point of the show.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:38 AM   #13866
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's kind of the point of the show.
I wouldn't say he has no redeeming qualities. He's not particularly compelling but the writers do give him a bit of nuance as the seasons go. Lip and Fiona carry that show.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:43 AM   #13867
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
People who drive at unnecessary speeds in car parks. The risk/reward ratio is completely out of whack.
Probably Ontario transplants. They don't have any rules in parking lots so they do stupid #### in them.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:56 AM   #13868
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I've never actually been to a single one of my graduation ceremonies going all the way back to high school, and I have acquired quite a few parchments with my name on them since. I just hate events like that.

As I recall the high school ceremony was at the Jubilee with like 20,000 other students, and I arrived with the intention of attending, but said to hell with this at the sight of the gong show. I assume they're all like that.

Zero regrets.
I’m with you on this. I did go to my high school ceremony but skipped University because I just couldn’t be bothered.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 07:45 AM   #13869
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’m with you on this. I did go to my high school ceremony but skipped University because I just couldn’t be bothered.
Same. I picked up my degree from the registrar's office. Went to some storage closet with the secretary, she dug it out of a cabinet, shook my hand and said congratulations. It was all the ceremony I needed hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:37 AM   #13870
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Watching camping reservations like a hawk, finger on the trigger of the reserve button as I watch the system clock creep towards 8:00:00 and…”unavailable”, “unavailable”, “limited availability”, “unavailable”.

Man what the ####. There’s gotta be some secret or program that people are using? Super awesome beachside trip turned into way less awesome not beachside at all trip.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:52 AM   #13871
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Same. I picked up my degree from the registrar's office. Went to some storage closet with the secretary, she dug it out of a cabinet, shook my hand and said congratulations. It was all the ceremony I needed hah.
Insert sexual innuendo here ^
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:27 AM   #13872
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's more than I did.

It eventually got mailed to me.

I actually went looking for it when my daughter started the same degree as me, BSc in Kinesiology.

She was less than impressed when I shoved it under the bathroom door while she was ####ting

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:29 AM   #13873
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I wouldn't say he has no redeeming qualities. He's not particularly compelling but the writers do give him a bit of nuance as the seasons go. Lip and Fiona carry that show.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 10:03 AM   #13874
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

wrgmg are graphic designers.

i think a requirement of being able to call yourself a "graphic designer" is that you must go work/get experience in industries that will eventually have to recreate your designs.

a customer sent me a really cool looking logo that their customer wants on shirts/jackets/caps (they want me to write the program that tells the embroidery machine how to stitch out the logo).

it's a simple layout and looks cool with the elements used... unfortunately it's not really possible to do with embroidery.

there is a fade from teal to light teal to dark teal... but it happens over 1/4" - that's not happening with thread
there are 5 'rings' in the logo, but the problem is there are so small that if you stitch them, the center (hollow) part of each ring will make a hole in the garment
the text that is under the logo is way too small and the width of the lines that make up the letters is 0.4mm wide... that's not happening.

does the logo look good on paper - yup. but if you want to brand your apparel with embroidery you're hooped becuz of the limitations of that application.

i have to send emails with explanations like above at least once/week and it gets old having to explain over and over again that your "cool" logo won't work. if the guys designing the logos had any clue about the limitations of other industries it could save future headaches.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:08 AM   #13875
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like you need to level up your tech, bro!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:14 AM   #13876
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
wrgmg are graphic designers.

i think a requirement of being able to call yourself a "graphic designer" is that you must go work/get experience in industries that will eventually have to recreate your designs.

a customer sent me a really cool looking logo that their customer wants on shirts/jackets/caps (they want me to write the program that tells the embroidery machine how to stitch out the logo).

it's a simple layout and looks cool with the elements used... unfortunately it's not really possible to do with embroidery.

there is a fade from teal to light teal to dark teal... but it happens over 1/4" - that's not happening with thread
there are 5 'rings' in the logo, but the problem is there are so small that if you stitch them, the center (hollow) part of each ring will make a hole in the garment
the text that is under the logo is way too small and the width of the lines that make up the letters is 0.4mm wide... that's not happening.

does the logo look good on paper - yup. but if you want to brand your apparel with embroidery you're hooped becuz of the limitations of that application.

i have to send emails with explanations like above at least once/week and it gets old having to explain over and over again that your "cool" logo won't work. if the guys designing the logos had any clue about the limitations of other industries it could save future headaches.
You need to offer a downgrade service, like a cheap inkjet printed iron on patch that you stitch a circle around the outside. Then instead of them getting disappointed that they're being denied a product, you just tell them their logo doesn't meet the requirements of the embroidery but it does meet your gold line, the iron on patch!! Then you just take a shot, and grin and bear being subjected to such a scenario, but at least you keep a sale.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:21 AM   #13877
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, I am on the dissenting side I guess. Kids only normally graduate from high school, university, etc once in their lives. I am not going to miss that because it’s an hour or 2 of boringness.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 10:24 AM   #13878
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Hat tip to you, sir, for finding that image.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:26 AM   #13879
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like Kev but he's a second-pair guy at best.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:29 AM   #13880
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You need to offer a downgrade service, like a cheap inkjet printed iron on patch that you stitch a circle around the outside. Then instead of them getting disappointed that they're being denied a product, you just tell them their logo doesn't meet the requirements of the embroidery but it does meet your gold line, the iron on patch!! Then you just take a shot, and grin and bear being subjected to such a scenario, but at least you keep a sale.
there's been a number of times that a printed digital transfer has been suggested/recommended.

i guess what bugs me the most is there just appears to be no knowledge of basic restrictions/limitations of other industries. the designers don't need to be 'masters' of all industries that their logos could be applied in, but a basic knowledge of limitations sure wouldn't hurt!