Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2020, 08:52 PM   #1301
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Show is in the prime timeline, so Romulus was still obliterated by a supernova like 600 years before the current Discovery time period.
Yeah, but Romulans are still around, just displaced. Just like the Federation I'm sure some Tal Shiar types setup camp somewheres to rebuild.

Maybe that Saloon/Bar from Picard, in the year 3188 by Space Ninja's Nunnery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
ok, those holographic tools/interfaces and planetary shielding are cool, but you're still using quantum torpedoes? those should be like throwing a plush cat toy in the 32nd century. but then again, I don't know if Discovery should have been able to tank two of those.

maybe the burn caused significant regression in technology across the galaxy, to the point where stuff is only incrementally better than typical Star Trek. or maybe my expectations are just skewed by things like old Janeway having Borg-busting technology right at the start of the 25th century, or the city-sized Universe class Enterprise J from the century after that.
I have to agree, for being 1,000 years in the future, the tech while new.... just doesn't seem that far advanced. This should be like Samurai warriors meet Navy SEALS. I like your theory on regression though.

The other thing that drives me nuts? In season 1, the Spore Drive used to be really hard on Stamets. And it seemed to be inhabited by the souls of the dead. Now it's as routine as driving on Deerfoot - Black Alert!

I agree with the pacing of the storyline being far too fast. Episode 5 was a good example of that where they magically win over Starfleet by curing some refugees of a mystery disease. That would have been 4-6 episodes in Rick Berman Trek.

Despite my nitpicking - overall I'm liking this season, it's entertaining for sure.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 11-13-2020 at 10:09 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #1302
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion this has been the best season by far. Not to jinx it.
Dan02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:26 PM   #1303
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Burn . . . Burnham son of a . . .

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #1304
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Yeah, definitely the best discovery season so far.

The last two episodes have been awesome at showing that the characters have struggles, that they are human.

On the theories above, it is almost certain that in the thousand years, the federation would have been able to use technologies like the Romulans quantum singularity, or transwarp, if it were still possible. Either the burn also prevented those from working too, or the federation has found other ethical reasons not to use them.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:32 AM   #1305
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I don't understand is why they collectively waxed poetically about Voyager, that's first version wasn't built until 200 years after Discovery was.

Did I miss something?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:39 AM   #1306
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
What I don't understand is why they collectively waxed poetically about Voyager, that's first version wasn't built until 200 years after Discovery was.

Did I miss something?
The scene read to me more that they were impressed at seeing a ship with a ‘J’ suffix and wondering about all the generations of development it had been through.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #1307
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm digging season 3. I'm feeling the lullaby being Terran or control but I am hoping control is done forever.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:39 PM   #1308
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who makes their password their 2 kids' names? Come on man! Boo to these writers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:49 PM   #1309
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Who makes their password their 2 kids' names? Come on man! Boo to these writers.

Security hasn’t changed much from the 21st century. At least it wasn’t just a couple of Greek letters like in TNG: “Authorization seed gamma beta gamma”.

They should have made it “1234“. That would have been pretty funny.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #1310
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Uh...yes...who would do that?!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #1311
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Very common, technically though it is a two-factor authentication since it requires voice matching. So the kids names are something you know, and the voice pattern match is something you are. So it isn't that insecure.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #1312
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Very common, technically though it is a two-factor authentication since it requires voice matching. So the kids names are something you know, and the voice pattern match is something you are. So it isn't that insecure.

I don't know man, if it was Christopher Walken half the planet thinks they can do a pretty good impression of his voice.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #1313
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I don't know man, if it was Christopher Walken half the planet thinks they can do a pretty good impression of his voice.
LOL, if the biometric voice matching device is fooled by an impression. I hate to say it the Federation deserved the burn, because damn they didn't invest in improving their security technology.

Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #1314
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post

Data is the only one in Star Trek to use a secure password
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #1315
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm up to S3 E3 or 4. We just ended at the tree on earth by the original spot of the academy.

Good: This season feels much more like "trek". More exploration, more new people, more problem solving, more diplomacy. I like the chemistry between Michael and Book, the lady engineer and the blond engineer guy, Tilly and Saru, asian Sec 31 Empress lady and pretty much everyone.

Bad: They're still moving at a blistering pace and almost never take time to digest, let the characters breathe or bother to explain pretty much anything. There's almost no exposition on this show, not the way we're used to on a trek show. It's just one plot point to the next at breakneck speed.

Case in point was that whole "war" between Earth and Wan or whatever they were called. That should have been a whole episode, could have even been a two parter. instead it was literally a 5 minute tack on to the end of the episode that got resolved so quick if you got up to take a piss, you'd have missed the entire conflict, explanation and resolution.

I would've been happy with a smaller per episode budget and a much longer season to allow them to flesh out the story.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #1316
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

One funny thing I forgot to mention. Michael’s hair. I don’t know what universe ST takes place on but it sure as #### ain’t ours. Michael’s hair is like mid-back length. That’s at several years worth of growth from her previous near buzz cut. 1 year is laughable.

Don’t get me wrong, she looks great with the new hairdo but to pretend that’s 1 year of growth? Lol. When she first appeared I thought it must have been a 5 year gap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #1317
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cecil's hilarious hair take aside, I think the episode tonight was the best Trek I have ever seen. It was like a movie. I'm completely blown away by it.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #1318
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
One funny thing I forgot to mention. Michael’s hair. I don’t know what universe ST takes place on but it sure as #### ain’t ours. Michael’s hair is like mid-back length. That’s at several years worth of growth from her previous near buzz cut. 1 year is laughable.

Don’t get me wrong, she looks great with the new hairdo but to pretend that’s 1 year of growth? Lol. When she first appeared I thought it must have been a 5 year gap.
Hair extensions are a thing.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #1319
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Hair extensions are a thing.
CC can you weigh in here? Are hair extensions a thing in the ST universe? Not sure if this is canon.

Perhaps hair grows faster in the future?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #1320
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The burn was caused by bald dudes trying to stimulate their follicles. A success on that front, I guess.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post: