Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2024, 09:47 PM   #13021
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Posting links with no context is a gear grinder.
That literally was the context - literally!
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:48 PM   #13022
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I love dave portnoys pizza reviews. But what grinds my gears is that he has a favorite kind of pizza, the thing, crispy, non floppy (I think it's new york style maybe) tasty pizza. I get hungry watching them but I can't think of anywhere in Calgary that sells that style of pizza.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 12:13 AM   #13023
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I love dave portnoys pizza reviews. But what grinds my gears is that he has a favorite kind of pizza, the thing, crispy, non floppy (I think it's new york style maybe) tasty pizza. I get hungry watching them but I can't think of anywhere in Calgary that sells that style of pizza.
You are such a pizza connoisseur I find it fascinating.

Pizza for me is really a situational thing. I think my absolute favourite is Chicago Deep Dish...the real stuff, I still like what we have in Calgary but, real Chicago Deep Dish will change your life.

I've never found it outside of Chicago though.

New York, thin style? Sometimes its good, I dont have a problem wth that, it just takes more.

But then...I remember this hole-in-the-wall place outside the 'Drum and Monkey' and thinking that their pizza was AMAZING...however my decision-making wasnt 100% at those moments either.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 12:42 AM   #13024
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best pizza I ever had was at Wolfgang Pucks down in Vegas.

Not sure what that says about me.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:47 PM   #13025
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You are such a pizza connoisseur I find it fascinating.

Pizza for me is really a situational thing. I think my absolute favourite is Chicago Deep Dish...the real stuff, I still like what we have in Calgary but, real Chicago Deep Dish will change your life.

I've never found it outside of Chicago though.

New York, thin style? Sometimes its good, I dont have a problem wth that, it just takes more.

But then...I remember this hole-in-the-wall place outside the 'Drum and Monkey' and thinking that their pizza was AMAZING...however my decision-making wasnt 100% at those moments either.
Lou Malnati’s ships. Probably US only though.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #13026
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I swapped out all of my light bulbs for LED's a few years ago...Much like everybody I guess.

Its grinding my gears that when I try to get a replacement bulb for a 5 lamp fixture, it is not the same color profile and looks out of place when installed.

So I have to go buy 5 new ones when I only need 1... And 4 spares that I may never use.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:59 AM   #13027
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The advertised life of LED's seems to be total BS.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:12 AM   #13028
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The LED's might be fine, but some of the enclosures of those things break easily.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:13 AM   #13029
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know. I have some that I put in a long time ago (pre-NDP lightbulb thing), I have a few fixtures where they die quickly.

I think it may be a heating issue because the problematic ones are in fixtures completely enclosed and in groups of 3. The ones that are by themselves have been totally fine.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:15 AM   #13030
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enclosed definitely burns them quicker, but even my bathroom vanity ones seem to not last anywhere near the tens of thousands of hours they advertise.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #13031
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah almost all the LEDs in my house are approaching a decade of use.

The few that cause trouble are weird bulb types or those in enclosures, so could be something to that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:36 AM   #13032
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don’t know. I have some that I put in a long time ago (pre-NDP lightbulb thing), I have a few fixtures where they die quickly.

I think it may be a heating issue because the problematic ones are in fixtures completely enclosed and in groups of 3. The ones that are by themselves have been totally fine.
Most A19 and B10 style LEDs have been fine.

GU10 and MR16 has been a mixed bag/#### show to the point I've intentionally replaced those styles of fixtures to get away from those bulbs. Some of those bulbs look sketchy AF.

Fuzz's comment and the 10,000 hours comment got me intrigued. Divided by 24, it comes out to about 416 days if never turned off or basically, a little over a year without being turned off. At 4 hours a day, it's 2,500 days, or around 7 years. 15,000 hours would be about the 10 year range at 4 hours a day.

I looked at a few bulbs I purchased and with a stated "10 year bulb/11,000 hours" honestly it seems reasonable to me. I'm at year 4 with these things and I don't think a single one of them have gone bad. Many for sure are used more than 4 hours a day due to WFH, long evenings, kids occasionally turning them on and wandering off without turning them off etc. The 20-25K hour ones are kinda crazy, but I haven't seen too many of those lately.

Even if they don't hit the full 10,000+ life span, I certainly like them better than incandescent and halogen. Lasts way longer, less likely to shatter into glass everywhere in general/disposal/storage room storage, less heat shining a heat ray on your head and you don't have to wait however long to avoid burning your hands to replace the bulb. It's rare they turn on and then fail. They basically just don't turn back on one day and you'll usually notice it when they start flickering.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:49 AM   #13033
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get me wrong, LED are still the best choice for most lights. I just assume those calculations are done with less frequent on/off cycles. Something like a bathroom light sees a lot more of those. And with 4 bulbs, I'm 4x more likely to have a bad one!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:55 AM   #13034
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Replacing the halogen pot lights and garage fluorescent tubes with LED equivalents have made it worth it.

Halogens burned out really frequently, got super hot, and the glass cover would detach and shatter on the floor every once in a while, and flipping on and off the switch for the garage fluorescents in winter until they came on was a PITA.

I do wonder if there is a dome cover for the clusters that traps less heat but doesn’t look like crap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 10:04 AM   #13035
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Enclosed definitely burns them quicker, but even my bathroom vanity ones seem to not last anywhere near the tens of thousands of hours they advertise.
Exposure to higher humidity?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:05 AM   #13036
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, LED are still the best choice for most lights. I just assume those calculations are done with less frequent on/off cycles. Something like a bathroom light sees a lot more of those. And with 4 bulbs, I'm 4x more likely to have a bad one!

I have the pot light style ones in the bathroom and they have been okay. They’re in the wet/damp rated enclosures (I forget, but different than the regular ones).

I still have one weird fixture that uses the tiny incandescent globe bulbs and I haven’t found replacement a yet. They burn out fast and are a pain to replace because of this weird glass rod design. Ugh. Thinking about it causes me pain. Below isn’t mine, I have fewer rods left after accidents.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 10:15 AM   #13037
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have the pot light style ones in the bathroom and they have been okay. They’re in the wet/damp rated enclosures (I forget, but different than the regular ones).

I still have one weird fixture that uses the tiny incandescent globe bulbs and I haven’t found replacement a yet. They burn out fast and are a pain to replace because of this weird glass rod design. Ugh. Thinking about it causes me pain. Below isn’t mine, I have fewer rods left after accidents.

Oof, I'd replace the fixture before replacing a bulb in that thing!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 10:16 AM   #13038
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with 3x more gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I swapped out all of my light bulbs for LED's a few years ago...Much like everybody I guess.

Its grinding my gears that when I try to get a replacement bulb for a 5 lamp fixture, it is not the same color profile and looks out of place when installed.

So I have to go buy 5 new ones when I only need 1... And 4 spares that I may never use.

Having the same problem. Seems even within the same brand and wattage the colour can differ between production runs. So you have to buy double what you need and mark the box with what fixture they’re for, or replace them all if one burns out. Shouldn’t be this difficult.

I should note this is a struggle with candelabra bulbs. Standard bulbs seem to be easier to match

Last edited by Brendone; 02-12-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:43 AM   #13039
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

LED is still far, far more reliable than CFL bulbs but I think quality matters with LED lights. I can't remember replacing a Phillips, GE, etc name brand LED bulb but the generic ones on Amazon are crap as I have a box and they all start blinking regardless of the housing I put them in or area of the house.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:26 AM   #13040
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sylvania LED bulbs have been solid for me. Don't think I've had to replace a single one yet. I'm most impressed with the ones I have outside. Granted they don't get used a ton but even during bad cold snaps, they instantly turn on and have been out there for years.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote