Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #1261
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A punch in the nose will stop an attacking dog in their tracks.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #1262
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I better get my 3 year old into boxing so that she's fully armed for the day I let her play at the park by herself. That's the thing that really bugs me about vicious dogs... I can't protect my kid all the time, everywhere.

I think the father of any kid that gets mauled should have the pleasure of shooting dead the offending dog. I would do it to my own dog, if she did that to my daughter or to someone else's kid.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #1263
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And a kick to the groin will stop an attacking rapist in their tracks.

Problem solved!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #1264
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Screw you, dog owner, and your mangy mess of fur and diseases.
Your kid has way more disease to offer people than do dogs. Little harbingers of bugs actually. I definitely agree about not letting dogs off leash in kid parks though. That's just asking for a cold.

The problem with dog parks is people don't exercise their dogs before going to them. The dog usually goes from locked in the house, to locked in the car to full on spaz out. Not smart.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #1265
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We stopped going to the dog park because there's far too many out of control dogs. People think it's a free for all and their overly excited, borderline aggressive dog is fine to exhibit whatever behavior it wants.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #1266
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had to stop going to certain dog parks for similar reasons. My dog is extremely well behaved and has excellent recall. I don't take him off leash anywhere but an off leash dog park because I respect other human beings and the bylaws. I don't feel like there is anything wrong with letting my dog run around and play with other dogs at a park designated for dogs, it is not a children's play area and parents bringing their small children to my dogs play area should at least expect there will be dogs running around and wrestling with each other.
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #1267
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, it won't. A german shepherd ran out and grabbed my small dog when I was a teenager, my punch did nothing to that dog. Going behind it and kicking it in the nuts did the trick.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #1268
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Either way, people should not be treating an off leash area as a play area for their kids. Sending your kid to play in an off leash area and then complaining that dogs are running up to them is the same as putting them in the road and complaining about the cars almost hitting them.
I know the one by my sister's house used to be a normal park and then a couple of years ago, dog owners petitioned to have it made into an off-leash area. Obviously other residents in the area want to still bring their kids there and enjoy the park that everyone pays for. The park is there first and foremost for the people, not the dogs.

The understanding is that you can unleash your dog, but not at the expense of other people's enjoyment.

Maybe there are parks out there that are funded only by dog owners, in which case I would agree that other people would be the ones expected to change their behavior to accommodate the dog owner.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #1269
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Maybe there are parks out there that are funded only by dog owners, in which case I would agree that other people would be the ones expected to change their behavior to accommodate the dog owner.
I feel the same way about people with kids. Like why do they get all the good tax breaks? Pay for your own damn daycare.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #1270
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Off leash parks are primarily off leash parks. It is ridiculous to go to one and expect to not see dogs running around and being rowdy/excitable.

If the use was indeed changed, then the residents of the area and the city saw a better use for the area as an off leash park. If there was so much demand to use it as open green space, then the use would not have changed.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #1271
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A lot of off-leash parks have bike paths through them and most dog owners are totally oblivious to the rules. Before they put fences up in the Southland/ Sue Higgins area it was a total gong show. Almost every time a dog would start chasing me. Now the bad one is 37th street between Woodbine and Oakridge. I wish theyd just fence off all of the off-leash parks.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #1272
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
A lot of off-leash parks have bike paths through them and most dog owners are totally oblivious to the rules. Before they put fences up in the Southland/ Sue Higgins area it was a total gong show. Almost every time a dog would start chasing me. Now the bad one is 37th street between Woodbine and Oakridge. I wish theyd just fence off all of the off-leash parks.
I've seen a lot of bikers absolutely burning through a dog park with next to no regard for people or dogs. It goes both ways.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #1273
Property Manager DB
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been to most of the off-leash parks in the city and I have to say Southland/Sue Higgins is by far my favorite.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #1274
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm a letter carrier who loves dogs. Nothing about aggressive dogs themselves anger me, but I get furious at ignorant/lazy/irresponsible owners who can't/won't control their dogs.

I am very calm and confident when I am charged and I am quite successful at avoiding bites. I've even yelled at a charging dog to "sit" and he stopped in his tracks. The only times I've been bitten is when I am surprised and caught off guard without room or time to react.

I've turned many "bad dogs" into friends that now love me, but that's a slow process that involves communicating with the owner and seeing them every day to build relationships with them. The stranger walking by who doesn't have this advantage will be charged. I tell these owners that if/when I leave the route, the next letter carrier might not be so forgiving with their dogs, and spray/kick them, and it would be pretty hard to blame them for it. They rarely take the hint.

Dog ownership is a privilege, not a right. Don't assume everyone likes your pet. Keep it controlled, and if you can't, learn to, or leave it inside.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #1275
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I feel the same way about people with kids. Like why do they get all the good tax breaks? Pay for your own damn daycare.
The idea with children however is that they will grow up into future tax paying adults, at least more often than not.

In no way are dogs considered social investment.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #1276
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The idea with children however is that they will grow up into future tax paying adults, at least more often than not.

In no way are dogs considered social investment.
Yes, childen will grow up. And in Canada, there's a better than 50% chance they will grow up to be dog owners as well. In fact, there's now a better chance they will own dogs than children.

But I disagree, dogs are very much social investment. There's lots of information and semi valid research showing the health benefits of walking the dog, the social benefits and the other quality of life benefits including over all happiness. Not to mention, dogs used to provide some of the services taxes do today...protection, warning, guidance and transportation, trash removal. We domesticated them, we are obliged to care for them. While you may not see the social investment here, you will see the lack of social investment in places that do not care for animals.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #1277
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I've seen a lot of bikers absolutely burning through a dog park with next to no regard for people or dogs. It goes both ways.
Sure, but this is the dog attack thread. Ive seen cyclists go way over the limit and not slow down for anything. Start an ongoing thread about that if you want.
Dogs running off leash on or around the bike path is a huge problem though.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #1278
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

If only we could train the dogs to only attack bad cyclists and people that drive slow in the left lane. Multiple problems solving each other.
4X4
Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #1279
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yes, childen will grow up. And in Canada, there's a better than 50% chance they will grow up to be dog owners as well. In fact, there's now a better chance they will own dogs than children.

But I disagree, dogs are very much social investment. There's lots of information and semi valid research showing the health benefits of walking the dog, the social benefits and the other quality of life benefits including over all happiness. Not to mention, dogs used to provide some of the services taxes do today...protection, warning, guidance and transportation, trash removal. We domesticated them, we are obliged to care for them. While you may not see the social investment here, you will see the lack of social investment in places that do not care for animals.
Regardless, the parks are there of the enjoyment of the people first and foremost. Having a dog off leash is privilege, not a right. If people can't do it responsibly in a way that respects people around them, then they shouldn't be doing it.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #1280
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Regardless, the parks are there of the enjoyment of the people first and foremost. Having a dog off leash is privilege, not a right. If people can't do it responsibly in a way that respects people around them, then they shouldn't be doing it.
Using any park is a priviledge not a right. There are rules for people just as there are for dogs. But you can't say dog parks are for people first. Most dog parks exist only because they are dog parks. Not a lot of people are going to walk around in circles in a little scrap of park jammed between Deerfoot trail and the river if they don't have a dog. It's perfectly valid to say that park is primarily for dogs and people wishing to have a pic nic would be better off somewhere else. Just like the Inglwood bird sanctuary is pretty much for the birds...no dogs, no bikes, no fires or gatherings. Nose Hill allows off leash dogs but is also popular for people and wildlife and for the most part it works well.

If you're talking about that park in Toronto where dog owners petitioned and got it changed to an off leash park and upset all the people who live around it, then that's a different story. But that is not at all the norm. I can't think of a single other case where people have had an issue with parks going to the dogs. Calgary has 150 dog parks.

Tags
dog attack puppy barking