Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2023, 10:14 PM   #12461
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think a lot of people may be confusing "misinformation" with alternative viewpoints, dissenting opinions, and subjective biases that they disagree with.

Yoho posting interviews with Alexander Mercouris or Col. Douglas Macgregor isn't "misinformation", these are credible and serious people who have different perspectives from establishment talking points. They aren't maliciously seeking to confuse people, they openly have Russian contacts and are giving their own opinions on how they see the world. Listen to what they have to say, account for their bias, and either agree, disagree or fall somewhere in the middle and move on. That they may disagree with prevailing sentiment doesn't inherently make them bad actors, and it doesn't make Yoho a troll for posting them.

I find it's the folks on CP who have serious, multi-post meltdowns when Yoho posts alternative viewpoints that are far more annoying than the Yoho's posts themselves. It's not Bingo's job to play internet thought police. Either critique and debunk Yoho's posts if you find them so offensive, or ignore them. The constant whinging and demanding his permaban is just immature and getting very annoying.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #12462
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
His point is that if a poster can consistently derail discussion with clear cut misinformation than what is the cost/benefit analysis as a message board. every discussion platform is dealing with it and everyone is taking steps to deal with QAnon/yoho/bot posts.

CP has not and is unwilling to do so and it's destroying everything we built up over a couple decades.
I think that might be a little over dramatic. The bigger problem in my view is people who can’t simply just post something disproving his claims without it becoming a dogpile. There’s always gonna be people posting stuff other people don’t like or agree with(in many instances rightfully so) but at the end of the day it’s easier to just prove them wrong than to throw hissy fits about their posting, it also requires far less effort. Discredit his stuff properly and move on.

As much as many don’t want to believe it, there are a lot of people who believe the stuff he posts. So IMO there is a benefit to politely disproving it because even if you won’t reach Yoho you may reach one of them, whereas just calling yoho names provides nothing. I’m saying this as someone who at one point was called every name under the sun by some on this board(you were there so I’m sure you remember) and my attitude is the same now as it was then, if what someone is saying is so wrong it would take far less effort to disprove what they’re saying than it would to piss moan and groan about it endlessly while begging the mods to have them banned.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 11:33 PM   #12463
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

People don't call him a troll because he has different views. There's plenty of people with different views on CP that nobody has problems with

The problem with Yoho is if you Google the definition of troll, he fits every example
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 11:44 PM   #12464
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
I think a lot of people may be confusing "misinformation" with alternative viewpoints, dissenting opinions, and subjective biases that they disagree with.

Yoho posting interviews with Alexander Mercouris or Col. Douglas Macgregor isn't "misinformation", these are credible and serious people who have different perspectives from establishment talking points. They aren't maliciously seeking to confuse people, they openly have Russian contacts and are giving their own opinions on how they see the world. Listen to what they have to say, account for their bias, and either agree, disagree or fall somewhere in the middle and move on. That they may disagree with prevailing sentiment doesn't inherently make them bad actors, and it doesn't make Yoho a troll for posting them.

I find it's the folks on CP who have serious, multi-post meltdowns when Yoho posts alternative viewpoints that are far more annoying than the Yoho's posts themselves. It's not Bingo's job to play internet thought police. Either critique and debunk Yoho's posts if you find them so offensive, or ignore them. The constant whinging and demanding his permaban is just immature and getting very annoying.
Not really, no.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:50 PM   #12465
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
People don't call him a troll because he has different views. There's plenty of people with different views on CP that nobody has problems with

The problem with Yoho is if you Google the definition of troll, he fits every example
There’s other adjectives you could google that they would also fit the definition for. No matter which you pick though, the solution isn’t for others to let them dictate your behaviour.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:25 AM   #12466
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Dion; 08-27-2023 at 03:28 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:54 AM   #12467
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Putting "dragon's teeth" headstones up

Lol "dragons teeth", jebus...just a bunch of meatheads over there, aren't they.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:34 AM   #12468
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I have come across several interviews with Col. Douglas Macgregor and I must say, the way he presents a lot of aspects of information, it makes sense. The way he describes in laymans terms some of the tactical concerns with the Ukrainian counteroffensive, it sounds very plausabile. He appears to have some credability in that regard.

He does come off as very pro Putin and Russia, but some of his concerns about this war is logical. He talks about the tragedy, how America needs to butt out of everybody's business, they can't begin to understand the complexities involved with this and that country along with their history.

The way he handicapped how the end of the Ukraine war may look like was scary in a recent interview. Something along the lines of "We will just walk away like we did in Vietnam, indicate we did what we wanted to do, prevailed, and let everybody else pick up the pieces when in reality too many people injured and killed and we got out butt's kicked"

I fully agree he presents a decent viewpoint from a different angle that needs to be taken into consideration in some ways.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 07:45 AM   #12469
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Uhm, except for all the Fox stuff he posts, which they've admitted in a court of law to doing exactly that. And anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows Corey Morgan is a toxic POS living in a swimming pool if misinformation and hate, wrapped in smug-face.

It's not that these are "alternative viewpoints," it's that they are barrels of bull####.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 08:09 AM   #12470
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Uhm, except for all the Fox stuff he posts, which they've admitted in a court of law to doing exactly that. And anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows Corey Morgan is a toxic POS living in a swimming pool if misinformation and hate, wrapped in smug-face.

It's not that these are "alternative viewpoints," it's that they are barrels of bull####.
Honestly if I were you I would just focus on staying out of the sin bin for personal attacks.

It should be so embarrassing to chase someone around three threads stamping your feet to get them banned rather than argue the other side or simply ignore.

I glaze past all of your far left posts and just laugh.

Everyone knows what you and Jayswin are doing, trying to gum up every political thread until you get what you want.

You’ve already lost when you resort to that.

Move on, if it hurts your soul to much I promise I won’t post in the Ukraine thread.

Now please get back to discussing topic not posters.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:13 AM   #12471
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s wierd some of you guys don’t have the ignore button.

Eventually some might even figure out to ignore his seconday account. You know… the one that constantly quotes him?
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:14 AM   #12472
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well thought out rebuttal. Did Rick Bell type it for you?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:34 AM   #12473
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're confusing "alternative viewpoints" with purposefully spreading misinformation.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #12474
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's awful they do, but unfortunately that's straight from the top. Bingo wants it that way. Although, he only discusses hockey on here, so he doesn't see the results of allowing misinformation and trolling to destroy every ****ing political discussion on his site.
Why don't you leave CP then? This is not a personal attack against you; a genuine question. If Yoho's posts make you so riled up that you can't simply ignore them, why not just leave the forum and save your personal well-being? Why do you see passionate fighting yoho's of the world on message boards as your personal duty? People can read and decide for themselves if what they see is interesting, valuable or unworthy trash.

There are thousands discussion boards dedicated to politics all over internet. There is no tangible value to CP in having them here other than traffic numbers. CP forum IS for hockey. It is only good because of the Flames hockey and because of the people who contribute to hockey discussions, general hockey rumours and hockey talk in game threads. I've said it before - ban all political and religious threads from the Off-Topic, and the forum will be a much better place to visit. I am guessing the mods might have talked about this at one time or another and decided against it to keep the traffic numbers better; and, if so, this does not seem like a good enough reason (to me, at least)... So, yeah, lighten up and take it easy, dude. It's just an off-topic thread.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #12475
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, Yoho is actually sin binned? I thought this was America....
Old 08-27-2023, 12:19 PM   #12476
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
CP forum IS for hockey.
Well a large chunk of the forum is specifially for a plethora of non-hockey topics so that's not entirely true. A few more prominent members, Silver off the top of my head, never posts or has no interest in hockey.

Is there a total solution for misinformation? 100% no. But the golly gee nothing can be done awh shucks one probably doesn't work either.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #12477
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Well a large chunk of the forum is specifially for a plethora of non-hockey topics so that's not entirely true. A few more prominent members, Silver off the top of my head, never posts or has no interest in hockey.

Is there a total solution for misinformation? 100% no. But the golly gee nothing can be done awh shucks one probably doesn't work either.
Sliver's threads make the Off-Topic fun. Political threads don't. That was the key point.

Misinformation is not something that a message board can fight or even define properly, because everyone is on the same footing - an avatar and a username. There are organizations keeping hundreds (thousands?) of people employed by posting on message boards. Same posters using different logins posting extreme left and extreme right messages just to get others agitated, pushing agendas someone paid for, pushing products someone wants promoted and pushing topics someone needs feedback on for some reasons. All of this is a reality of today's communications, unfortunately. However; getting sucked into these discussions or not is up to us - the participants. Eliminating political/religious threads would eliminate the majority of this sh..t; thus, make the forum a much much better place.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:10 PM   #12478
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Sliver's threads make the Off-Topic fun. Political threads don't. That was the key point.

Misinformation is not something that a message board can fight or even define properly, because everyone is on the same footing - an avatar and a username. There are organizations keeping hundreds (thousands?) of people employed by posting on message boards. Same posters using different logins posting extreme left and extreme right messages just to get others agitated, pushing agendas someone paid for, pushing products someone wants promoted and pushing topics someone needs feedback on for some reasons. All of this is a reality of today's communications, unfortunately. However; getting sucked into these discussions or not is up to us - the participants. Eliminating political/religious threads would eliminate the majority of this sh..t; thus, make the forum a much much better place.
I basically registered here because of the non hockey stuff, you’d be surprised at how good this forum is in terms of diversity of topics and ability to talk about them. We all have an obligation to fight against misinformation, sometimes it’s easy with a quick cross reference google search and other times not. I think what gets people riled up about yoho is he just blindly links in posts and doesn’t engage in the conversation in terms of bringing out a view point and advancing the conversation.

I haven’t been here long, don’t know all the long history of most of the posters but I don’t think the solution in our world is just to keep running from the conversation or turning it off because it’s hard.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 01:26 PM   #12479
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP is my go to for any information, and occasionally entertainment, I need. Particularly local info. When my wife has a question about anything she asks me to check the forum. It’s a fantastic and diverse resource. The hockey is good when the Flames are winning.

I would support eliminating political and religious threats from the forum except this is where it find useful political news. It wouldn’t kill me though.

As for trolls, replies are their oxygen. Don’t respond, ever. Like never, regardless how irritating, wrong, outlandish, or even hateful their posts are. They know that already, which is why they post. Just don’t reply.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 01:37 PM   #12480
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
... I don’t think the solution in our world is just to keep running from the conversation or turning it off because it’s hard.
Anyone genuinely looking for "solutions to our world" in off-topic threads of the hockey forum are up for one giant disappointment.

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks