Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2024, 12:00 PM   #1221
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Ryan Pike was on Barn Burner today and released a tidbit from his book.

In 1997, the Flames decided on Daniel Tkaczuk over Sergei Samsonov because they wanted a center. Only three centers from that draft became top line centers and all were drafted in the top 3.

We'll never know for sure how Tkaczuk would have turned out without the injury problems, but I think it's still a good lesson to not draft for position. Some really good wingers and dmen were picked after Tkaczuk in that draft.
Tkaczuk at the time looked like a strong pick. Next C drafted was Michael Holmqvist. so...

Bruins weren't giving up Thornton. Sharks weren't giving up Marleau. In fact, rumor at the time was the Sharks were offering a king's ransom (including the #2 and #23 picks) to try to trade up to get Thornton and the Bruins weren't interested. So your best bet was trying to pry #3 from the Kings to get Jokinen.

I don't mind looking back retrospectively on things that could have happened. But Thornton/Marleau? Come on.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 01:05 PM   #1222
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Tkaczuk at the time looked like a strong pick. Next C drafted was Michael Holmqvist. so...

Bruins weren't giving up Thornton. Sharks weren't giving up Marleau. In fact, rumor at the time was the Sharks were offering a king's ransom (including the #2 and #23 picks) to try to trade up to get Thornton and the Bruins weren't interested. So your best bet was trying to pry #3 from the Kings to get Jokinen.

I don't mind looking back retrospectively on things that could have happened. But Thornton/Marleau? Come on.
Cool, but I am not sure if you are quoting the right post. I never mentioned anything about Marleau or Thornton.

And yeah, Tkaczuk at #6 was a solid pick at the time. According to THN, Tkaczuk was ranked #5, so it wasn't a reach. He was also progressing fine until concussions derailed his career. I just thought it was interesting that they drafted for position, and even if it was through no fault of his own, it didn't work out.

Generally speaking though, you can look back at almost any draft, and see that top centers are rarely ever available outside of the top 3 to 5 picks. It's the main reason why finding a #1 center outside of the draft is so hard, the two are directly connected.

Given where the Flames are likely to pick this year (10-12), I wouldn't count on any of the centers available at that point to project to being #1 centers based on historical norms. Personally, I would shoot for a prospect that statistically has a better chance to be a top line winger or top pairing defenseman with a pick in that range.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:59 PM   #1223
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I haven't seen anything from a solid source, but there is some internet chatter that if Montreal drafts outside of the top 5, then Tij Iginla is their target at the draft. They are currently at 7th.
I've heard Ottawa has been vigorously scouting him as well, it's looking more and more he'll be off the board by the time the Flames pick, on one hand it would suck but on another I guess another good player would drop in their lap.

One things for sure this is going to be a very interesting draft.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 04:11 PM   #1224
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I've heard Ottawa has been vigorously scouting him as well, it's looking more and more he'll be off the board by the time the Flames pick, on one hand it would suck but on another I guess another good player would drop in their lap.

One things for sure this is going to be a very interesting draft.
I'd rather have a team take him before the Flames have the option, instead of the Flames passing over him and seeing him become a star somewhere else and whoever the Flames pick, falls flat. I don't want to see that thread at the top of CP for 15 years.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:43 PM   #1225
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the long term injury, Cayden Lindstrom is still numero uno on my dorky draft list.

And then it's Demidov, Helenius, Catton, Levshunov, Dickinson. In that order.

Man, having a skilled 6'5 center who can skate is a dream.

Last edited by dammage79; 03-21-2024 at 06:48 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 06:32 PM   #1226
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Despite the long term injury, Cayden Lindstrom is still numero uno on my dorky draft list.

Man, having a skipped 6'5 center who can skate is a dream.
My list would look quite similar…
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:08 PM   #1227
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Same here. Pretty close.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 12:27 AM   #1228
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Best Name in the Draft Edition):

There was talk last season that 6'4",185lb LHD Niilopekka Muhonen might be worthy of a first-round pick in 2024, if he could upgrade his offensive game from the 6 points in 18 U20 games he put up with KalPa in 2022-23. That didn't quite happen, but his ppg did rise from 0.33 last season, to 0.41 this year, with 11 points in 27 contests. Muhonen also got a cup of coffee in the Mestis (the second-highest men's league in Finland), on loan to JoKP, where he had 3 points in 12 games, and last summer, he played in his second Hlinka Gretzky Cup, with 2 points in 5 games. Those numbers, though, don't really paint an accurate picture of who this kid is a a player, as he's actually a puck-rushing defenseman, with excellent puck-moving potential, and a minute-muncher who can play in any situation.

First thing one will notice when watching Muhonen, apart from his monsterous frame, is his skating ability- he moves very well, especially for a player his size, with long, powerful strides. He skates backwards quite fluidly as well, which helps his gap control, and he even has a fair amount of agility, and decent edgework. Muhonen is highly confident in carrying the puck, and quite calm and composed under pressure, with airtight puck-protection along the boards due to his long reach, and the way he angles his body against checks. He has a keen understanding of how to open up, and exploit space in many ways- he's particularly good at drawing opponents towards him in order to make space for teammates to occupy, to ready themselves for his pass. His distribution game is a plus- he has good vision and anticipation, to go along with crisp, accurate, well-timed passes. There's plenty of flashes of offensive potential in his game, by the way he joins the rush to create odd-man advantages, or by the way he runs the offense in-zone by walking the line, and quarterbacking the play. When he sees a safe opportunity, he will pinch down into the action as an extra forward, and he has the hands to finish plays. He has a hard, heavy shot from the point, but could sharpen up his accuracy.

Muhonen isn't gentle- he bullies players off the puck in greasy areas, and plays a physical game. His 43 penalty minutes in 27 games shows that he's not eager to win any sportmanship awards. If Muhonen's offensive game doesn't come along, he already has a mature defensive game to fall back on, with a steadying presence, and shutdown potential. He has the size and immense reach to take away space and time from attackers, and separate man from puck with his physical game. He's strong in front of his goalie, and boxes opponents out effectively. His active stick helps him to kill plays, pick off passes, and block lanes. Muhonen is fairly raw, and at this point, he's more "unfullfilled potential", than "finished product", but just needs time to reward whatever team picks him, with a huge pay-off. Some still think he could be a second-rounder in the draft, and it's a definite possibility, but I will guess mid third-round.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 01:15 AM   #1229
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Jacked Edition):

LHC Jack Berglund comes from a strong hockey background, being the son of former-NHLer Christian Berglund (who played for the Devils and Panthers), and nephew to Swedish pros Carl Berglund, and Daniel Berglund. Jack, who measures 6'3",207lbs, spent most of this season with Farjestad's J20 team, posting 15 goals and 34 points in 41 games- but had an 8-game cup of tea with the SHL team, nabbing a goal in 8 games. He turned heads in the most recent edition of the 5 Nations Tournament, with 4 points in 3 games, and scored a natural hat-trick in the first game against Finland- including the game-winner in OT.

Though it seems like Jack has been talked about forever, most see him turning out to be more of a shutdown, defensive player going forward, as was his role in the 5 Nations, and in all other international play. Berglund is not the greatest skater- it pervades many aspects of his game, and he can be exposed when he's not in position. He's not particularly great on his edges either. Good thing for him is that he's a meat-and-potatoes type of player, and is at his best when keeping things simple. On the plus side, he's a smooth stickhandler with quick hands, and is tenacious on the puck with airtight control- this, combined with his reach and protection skills, makes it hard to strip him of the puck. Berglund flashes high-end skill and playmaking ability- he makes good decisions with the puck, and his passes are crisp and accurate. On occasion, he can connect on a difficult, more complicated pass in traffic. His shooting arsenal is fairly deep, but he could use more zip on his shots. He plays very well around the net, and displays silky soft mitts to beat goalies with, and the understanding of how to dip in and out of open space around the crease.

Berglund is a physical player, and can outright bully opponents in junior, but he's not really mean- he needs to be more aggressive, and use his size better to impose his will, and wear down opponents. He pays attention to his defensive duties as a center, and doesn't cheat. He has the ability to play his man closely, and can cut off lanes, and intercept passes, while keeping the crease clear. The coaching staff trusts him in defensive situations, and gives him penalty-killing duties. This may help him, as his defensive game might just be his bread-and-butter one day in the pros, and if he improves his skating, he'll make a great option for bottom-6 duty. Look for him in the 5th/6th round.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 02:08 AM   #1230
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just my humble opinion.

Many people are expecting the next coming of Ryan Getzlaf in Lindstrom but I see a middle six forward (possibly a winger) in him, he's a big speedy straight line player which is nice but he doesn't really use his teammates all that well, he also plays on a stacked Med Hat team.

I think at this point I would rather Catton

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 03-22-2024 at 02:12 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 02:13 AM   #1231
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (K-2SO Edition):

RW Karl Sterner, who measures 6'3",187lbs, plays primarily for Frolunda's J20 team in Sweden, and has a stat-line that bears a striking resemblance to that of countryman Jack Berglund's- 15 goals, and 34 points in 45 games (Berglund did it in 41 games). One big difference between the two that tells a tale, is their penalty minutes- Sterner has 49, while Berglund has only 20, which reflects the differences between the two players' respective demeanors. Sterner took part in last summer's Hlinka Gretzky Cup for Team Sweden, and came away with 1 goal in 4 games- I thought he was fun to watch, and I like this kid.

Sterner has a solid base of skills, and a wide array of physical tools, but is a bit raw. The best skill in his toolkit might be his size/skating ratio- he moves quite fluidly, with a long, powerful stride, and gets up and down the ice quickly. He's very agile for a big player, and has excellent small-area quickness, which helps him along the wall, and in traffic. His long reach and strength aids him in protecting the puck, along with the way he angles his body away from attackers- he will even throw a reverse hit to give himself a little more room. His stickhandling is smooth, and his hands are quick, and he can play a little keep-away while he scans for options. Sterner uses his size well as leverage when cutting to the middle, or crashing the net, and he controls the play along the walls. He owns a hard, heavy shot with a quick release, and has fairly high IQ and awareness in all 3 zones. His passing game is a plus, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a playmaker. In the defensive zone, he's quite sound, though not really a stalwart- his long reach and quickness help him create turnovers and kill plays.

Sterner's play away from the puck has been called into question, as he can stop moving his feet from time to time, while puck-watching- he needs to be more consistently involved. He uses his size well, but like Berglund, he could stand to use it even more to impose his will, as well as to intimidate and punish- though that may not be his game. He can sometimes lack intensity as well. Sterner will need plenty of time to develop his skills, and is a long way from fulfilling his potential- he's a big upside player. I'm going to guess 3rd/4th round.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 02:28 AM   #1232
sch19lks
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Just my humble opinion.

Many people are expecting the next coming of Ryan Getzlaf in Lindstrom but I see a middle six forward (possibly a winger) in him, he's a big speedy straight line player which is nice but he doesn't really use his teammates all that well, he also plays on a stacked Med Hat team.

I think at this point I would rather Catton
Catton is #2 on my list after Celebrini when it comes to forwards. I feel Lindstrom is overrated. The whole package is very intriguing obviously, but I have a hard time seeing it at the next level. Is he Keith Primeau? Or is he Wayne Primeau?

Last edited by sch19lks; 03-22-2024 at 02:32 AM.
sch19lks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:05 AM   #1233
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone think Demidov could drop because of nationality? Conroy would easily snag him if available.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:08 AM   #1234
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Does anyone think Demidov could drop because of nationality? Conroy would easily snag him if available.
I don’t have him or celebrini in our realistic targets even if he was there im not sure they take him if Catton or helenius is available. Think they turn into roughly equal players myself when it all comes out in the wash.

Last edited by Fan69; 03-22-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:31 AM   #1235
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
I don’t have him or crlebrini in our realistic targets even if he was there im not sure they take him if Catton or helenius is available. Think they turn into roughly equal players myself when it all comes out in the wash.
Oh I think we would pick Catton too. I should’ve been more specific. If we are on the outside looking in (the top 10) and Demidov does a Michkov-like drop, I think we wouldn’t hesitate to pick him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:32 AM   #1236
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Much like Michkov I don't see any scenario where Demidov falls out of the top 10, probably more likely to go top 5.

The skillset is just too good.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:57 AM   #1237
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Same... I'd probably prefer Catton over Helenius but the preference is very small.

I think Lindstrom will be gone by the time we draft (if y'all want the big C I'd cast your eyes to 2025 and Roger McQueen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If we are on the outside looking in (the top 10) and Demidov does a Michkov-like drop, I think we wouldn’t hesitate to pick him.
Sure, let's add another -ov to the collection enhance our newly found proclivity for eastern bloc guys. Really if Demidov is somehow available when we come up the Flames should sprint to the podium.

Last edited by Parallex; 03-22-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #1238
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Much like Michkov I don't see any scenario where Demidov falls out of the top 10, probably more likely to go top 5.

The skillset is just too good.
Not picking a fight here but this is where i sometimes disagree with a lot if consensus.

Yes demidov has a huge skillset but right now its against kids. Helenius is a kid playing with men and is being successful. A lot if the flashy stuff demidov is doing is against equals and lesser competitors two steps below the nhl. Helenius has already crossed to equal or better than the ahl and is looking impressive doing so.

I probably take helenius if both are available.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:21 AM   #1239
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could live with Iginla going to Ottawa.

I have no significant feelings about that team, and if it doesn't work out there, the Flames could try to deal for him after they draft Joe with one of their two 2026 1sts.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:37 AM   #1240
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Yes demidov has a huge skillset but right now its against kids. Helenius is a kid playing with men and is being successful. A lot if the flashy stuff demidov is doing is against equals and lesser competitors two steps below the nhl. Helenius has already crossed to equal or better than the ahl and is looking impressive doing so.
The Liiga would be a step below the AHL. Even the top guys in that league were only low-end AHL players during their time in NA Pro.

Still incredibly impressive though for Helenius to be doing what he is against men in a pro league, though.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft