Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #1221
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
WRONG
LOL.

Let me ask you serious question Text? do you believe in GOD? like in a Christian god?

No 100 page response please .. just yes or no!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #1222
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Even if you completely discount the Bible as history, which in a lot of cases I'd agree and you of course discount it and all such books as religious nonsense, there is still a place to look at the Bible as a cultural resource. Like it or not a lot of our laws and societal norms come from the Bible and other religious texts. What I found interesting in school was to know what Shakespeare was talking about often required knowledge of the Bible. It's part of our lives whether we want to acknowledge it or not.
Agreed.

It's like reading Shakespeare. It's more about looking through the eyes of people that were alive at that time and seeing the world how they saw it. From an academic cultural and historical perspective, religious studies are not only helpful for understanding modern societies and politics, but it is mandatory.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #1223
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
LOL.

Let me ask you serious question Text? do you believe in GOD? like in a Christian god?

Not that this is in any way relevant, but yes, today, I believe in God...

...that's not to say that there are days that I don't.

I know it's an answer without conviction, but it is the truth. So what of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #1224
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL.

How does that change the facts you are wrong about?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #1225
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is this thread about ISIS or T@T & Textcritic to piss at each other about religeon?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #1226
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Is this thread about ISIS or T@T & Textcritic to piss at each other about religeon?
I am more than happy to surrender the floor to any news about ISIS.

Quote:
Old 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #1227
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I am more than happy to surrender the floor to any news about ISIS.
Latest in the news today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32957619

Sick #######s torturing and killing children. They need to be incinerated.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #1228
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Latest in the news today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32957619

Sick #######s torturing and killing children. They need to be incinerated.
How desperate people must be to be consumed by this level of evil. It's the only way I can think of to explain it. An ethnic group on a large scale does not collectively lose its mind and its conscience—not to this degree. I think that deep seeded feelings of marginalisation and despair are triggered by ISIS' own brand of apocalypticism to forge a climate in which such atrocities become acceptable.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #1229
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's just so sickening. The world can't keep their eyes closed, or hands down with such atrocities happening.

It would be great if this thread stayed on topic rather than veering off on tangents about religion. As you read more and more about what's going on, it has very little, hell, nothing to do with religion.

Would like to see this thread just continue being a news thread. The more people that read/learn about what is going out there the better.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #1230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
How desperate people must be to be consumed by this level of evil. It's the only way I can think of to explain it. An ethnic group on a large scale does not collectively lose its mind and its conscience—not to this degree. I think that deep seeded feelings of marginalisation and despair are triggered by ISIS' own brand of apocalypticism to forge a climate in which such atrocities become acceptable.

I would argue that its not desperation or marginalization, especially in terms of the effective recruiting of people in the Western World. The majority of them are coming from good middle class families, and well educated people.

Their recruiting is successful because it attracts the idealists, the losers in society, and the crazies or psycho's.

For girls it speaks of romance, you get to marry a fighter, who will give you children and everyone loves everyone over there. You can help the poor and do good works.

For the boys its even more pronounced. You can go and fight to establish a Muslim homeland, where the perceived wrongs won't happen and you'll be part of a bigger thing, you'll be defending your land and your people. Its very much the same recruiting that the commonwealth did in WW!. You'll go to war, be a hero, and everyone will love and respect you.

For some its living by and enforcing a very strict version of Islam.

For some its go over and saw peoples heads off

For some its go over and have sex with an 8 year old girl.

It doesn't matter how inclusive Western Society is to the Islamic communities, the recruiting methods will still find someone, somewhere that is pissed off, or bored, or see's the romantic image.

Yes, they're absolutely getting people that are poor and beaten down.

But man

One of their best online recruiters is called the Bird of Jannah.

they have top notch production and a top notch PR brain in there doing the recruiting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #1231
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
today, I believe in God...

...that's not to say that there are days that I don't.
Lol, do you wake up in the morning, do a big stretch and ahhh it's a good day to worship the spaghetti monster?

Hate to say it Text but there's a problem when one looses his/her faith on certain days...it's called being weak.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #1232
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What the hell, seriously?

Its hard to believe that you can make that much of an !$$ out of yourself.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #1233
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

edit: my post doesn't help matters

Last edited by Kavvy; 06-02-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #1234
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What the hell, seriously?

Its hard to believe that you can make that much of an !$$ out of yourself.
It's because he's so strong
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #1235
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, do you wake up in the morning, do a big stretch and ahhh it's a good day to worship the spaghetti monster?
I don't "decide" to believe things, because that is not how belief works. Nobody does. My beliefs are formed and shaped in accordance to my own accumulation of knowledge and experience; I don't make the choice about what affects them—they happen.

Quote:
Hate to say it Text but there's a problem when one looses his/her faith on certain days...it's called being weak.
Is "loosing [sic.] faith" the same as adjusting beliefs? I'm not sure about that.

In what way is my answer "weak"? I agree that it lacks conviction, but I am also not certain that conviction of opinion is at all a good thing. Is it? Why? ...

Besides, without knowing why my beliefs on the subject are malleable (recall that you are the one who insisted on a completely inadequate "yes" or "no" response), you also do not have any idea about whether or not my answer is a good one. You seem to think it is not. Do you know anything about why it is not?

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-02-2015 at 10:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #1236
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I would argue that its not desperation or marginalization, especially in terms of the effective recruiting of people in the Western World. The majority of them are coming from good middle class families, and well educated people...
Yeah, there are a lot of recruits coming out of the modern developed West, but the majority of ISIS supporters? I'm quite sure that is not correct; the Islamic State is still primarily defined by ethnic and geographical boundaries.

A movement like this definitely attracts reps. from all the crazy and depraved groups that you point to in your post, but I don't believe these people were the driving force in its semination and its ongoing persistence. If so, then why has the movement not made a greater impact in larger numbers within Western culture?

No. Maybe the most frightening thing about what is happening is the recognition that huge numbers of the people who are swept up in the movement are probably ordinary people insofar as they are neither sociopaths nor psychopaths. Ordinary people are capable of doing extraordinarily terrible and unthinkable things.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-02-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #1237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, there are a lot of recruits coming out of the modern developed West, but the majority of ISIS supporters? I'm quite sure that is not correct; the Islamic State is still primarily defined by ethnic and geographical boundaries.

A movement like this definitely attracts the all crazy and depraved groups that you point to in your post, but I don't believe these people were the driving force in its semination and its ongoing persistence. If so, then why has the movement not made a greater impact in larger numbers within Western culture?

No. Maybe the most frightening thing about what is happening is the recognition that huge numbers of the people who are swept up in the movement are probably ordinary people insofar as they are neither sociopaths nor psychopaths. Ordinary people are capable of doing extraordinarily terrible and unthinkable things.
Actually I don't know how accurate this is but it comes from a CIA report, showing where the recruits are coming from

http://www.rferl.org/contentinfograp.../26584940.html

But it shows a pattern of recruiting that is heavily focused on Europe, more then anywhere else, the two biggests non European recruiting nests look like Jordan (fairly moderate state) and Tunisia.

If you look at Canada, they estimate that 2 out of every million people are recruited to ISIS which sounds right because it would be about 60 people with Canadian pass ports fighting over there.

Tunisia supplies 315 per every million people so they have sent about 3100 fighters over.

Sweden actually surprised me based on this chart, they have supplied about 3000 fighters.

Pretty good New York Times article on how ISIS works

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...773522000&_r=1

Sorry I want to throw some correctives in here because the first article might be off.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 06-02-2015 at 10:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #1238
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wanted to throw in another one to maybe balance off the first one. This one has a pretty good interactive map that maybe tells a better more accurate story

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/06/0...from/21189692/

Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #1239
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I don't know how accurate this is but it comes from a CIA report, showing where the recruits are coming from

http://www.rferl.org/contentinfograp.../26584940.html

But it shows a pattern of recruiting that is heavily focused on Europe, more then anywhere else, the two biggests non European recruiting nests look like Jordan (fairly moderate state) and Tunisia...
But these numbers coming from outside the region still pale in comparison to the support that ISIS receives from within the region. None of the linked material has any information about domestic, grassroots support, which I would expect to be pretty high within their controlled regions. Regions which have experienced some pretty devastating harm in recent years at the hands of former oppressive regimes, and poorly handled US and European intervention. In short, ISIS is fuelled in large part by the collective ire and anger of huge numbers of the local citizenry.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-02-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #1240
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
But these numbers coming from outside the region still pale in comparison to the support that ISIS receives from within the region. None of the linked material has any information about domestic, grassroots support, which I would expect to be pretty high within their controlled regions. Regions which have experienced some pretty devastating harm in recent years at the hands of former oppressive regimes, and poorly handled US and European intervention. In short, ISIS is fuelled in large part by the collective ire and anger of huge numbers of the local citizenry.
Which if you think about it is quite strange, because as a whole this is pretty much a war of Muslim sects (is that the right word).

While yes there's a chance that they can kill Christians and the odd person from the West, but this is a internal religious war.

So I don't know if I quite see how its super attractive to disenfranchised people.

I get it with the Western recruits because the recruiting message is that the evil Christians and the West hate you so come to our Caliphate where you will be protected from prejudice.

But this whole thing is about prejudice.