Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #1201
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
WP seems to have enough brand equity that Co-op will (or should!) be keeping it as a standalone thing... I could even see them rebranding certain locations from CoOp to WP.

WP's biggest strength is their selection and events, and there's no way they'll be messing with that. More often than not, in my experience, CoOp has them beat on regular and sales pricing, so I don't see how CoOp's acquisition is a bad thing in any way?
Coop actually has a pretty good schedule of events and offerings as well (or at least they did previously as I haven't checked in a while.) It may be store specific but the Crowfoot location had a lot of different wine tastings, scotch tastings and other events.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:54 PM   #1202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I don’t know if that’s how these things usually go
Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
WP seems to have enough brand equity that Co-op will (or should!) be keeping it as a standalone thing... I could even see them rebranding certain locations from CoOp to WP.

WP's biggest strength is their selection and events, and there's no way they'll be messing with that. More often than not, in my experience, CoOp has them beat on regular and sales pricing, so I don't see how CoOp's acquisition is a bad thing in any way?
It depends on what they want it for.

First and foremost its profitable and, as indicated has a very strong brand equity.

Moreso than that though, Willow Park's main strength rested on relationships with suppliers. Co-Op adding them, even as a subsidiary is probably to strengthen their supply chain and bolster their ability to get certain products at better prices for the entire group.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:09 PM   #1203
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Anyone know if Uncle Fatih's Pizza still opening along 17th Ave SW?
I think so. It’s right next to the rose and crown on 4th st. Not sure if it has a date or just says opening soon but it looks close. They’ve got all the branding up already.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 04:34 PM   #1204
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

First and foremost its profitable and, as indicated has a very strong brand equity.

Moreso than that though, Willow Park's main strength rested on relationships with suppliers. Co-Op adding them, even as a subsidiary is probably to strengthen their supply chain and bolster their ability to get certain products at better prices for the entire group.
According to the email sent out to people that like spam, WP will be kept as a distinct entity.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:40 PM   #1205
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They’ve done it with Community Natural Foods. It operates separately and probably benefits from the wider Coop network, buying power and things like that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 06:51 PM   #1206
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
In Alberta, there is no such thing as suppliers - everything is purchased via the AGLC/Brewers Distributers. They may have a better relationship with the brand representatives which can bring in more cases or pallets of a product via the AGLC but ultimately it still goes through the ALGC/BDL.

In this area, Co-op already has gargantuan buying power as they will purchase warehouses full of product from the gov't and sit on it, especially those on weekly discount, leaving the smaller stores unable to compete on price or selection as all liquor stores have to get their supply from the same source. It's a government monopoly on the supply chain side, then it becomes an oligopoly for the big chains. I had panic attacks every week trying to scrape together enough to keep my shelves stocked compared to these big chains with their buying power.

The benefit here might be relationships Willow Park had in the food and beverage restaurant business and Co-op gaining a foothold there.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-18-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 09:03 AM   #1207
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

U-Haul bought the Calgary Herald building, they had also purchased the old Calgary Sun building and turned it into a self storage facility and vehicle rental site. Probably the same fate for the Herald building?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:17 AM   #1208
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Saw on Twitter that the Green Line project has purchased Eau Claire Mall to get ready for an underground station. The mall will be demolished in Q2 2024
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 09:17 AM   #1209
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eau Claire Market will close mid Q2 of 2024, as they have just reached an agreement with the city for the Green Line and underground station on the site.

https://eauclairemarket.com/transformation/

Edit: Beaten! ^^^
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 09:46 AM   #1210
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm actually sad to hear that, I remember watching a bunch of Flames playoffs games with friends in 2004 in the arcade/bar that used to be next to the theater. I still hit the theater if they're playing what I want to see, went just 2 weeks ago. During the summers while commuting to work by bike I would often stop at the market to pick up stuff or hit the crappy food court.

Oh well, change is inevitable.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:47 AM   #1211
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'll be damned. They're going to finally demolish Eau Claire Market.

Hopefully whoever owns that bafflingly inexplicable Egyptian shop can set up a kiosk in the C-Train station.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 09:52 AM   #1212
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remainder of the land will likely be used as Green Line construction staging and then sit as a vacant dust pit for the next decade.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:54 AM   #1213
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Remainder of the land will likely be used as Green Line construction staging and then sit as a vacant dust pit for the next decade.
Oh yeah, if the old Greyhound station is any precedent to go by it'll probably sit for a couple of decades.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:54 AM   #1214
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Eau Claire Market will close mid Q2 of 2024, as they have just reached an agreement with the city for the Green Line and underground station on the site.

https://eauclairemarket.com/transformation/

Edit: Beaten! ^^^
Man that was a slow drawn out death

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:04 AM   #1215
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still wonder if Harvard has the chops to actually get the site developed?
Old 01-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #1216
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda bittersweet news, haha. I worked in that mall for over eight years of my life and hung out there as a kid so much since the 90's, have some great memories there. Gonna miss that place, but hey - change is always a good thing! Cannot wait to see the new development from Perkins+Will next (if that's still a go, or at least a modified version of it since the Green Line developments!):

Spoiler!

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/ne...ommunity.19402
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:16 AM   #1217
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I don't get to it often enough but the loss of the Cineplex in there will be a blow. Apart from the Globe (and their selection is meagre), they're the only cinema in town who regularly show artier/international movies.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #1218
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Kinda bittersweet news, haha. I worked in that mall for over eight years of my life and hung out there as a kid so much since the 90's, have some great memories there. Gonna miss that place, but hey - change is always a good thing! Cannot wait to see the new development from Perkins+Will next (if that's still a go, or at least a modified version of it since the Green Line developments!):

Spoiler!

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/ne...ommunity.19402
I think that original plan is long gone, probably see something different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 10:51 AM   #1219
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

It'll be completely different, that old plan did not take into account the LRT station.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:25 AM   #1220
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s too bad. I really like the Canadian blood services location there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post: