Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 01:55 PM   #12061
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Defund the CBC and give everything to Manitoba? Not sure the rest of the country would be ok with that.
If some of the monies were set aside to build a moat around the province.....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:57 PM   #12062
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You are right, the funding for the CBC would be much better used helping address some massive issues our country is facing, like homelessness, healthcare and education.

I know Manitoba would love the $1.39 billion that the CBC gets every year to improve our health care services and get people off the streets of Winnipeg.

We could start with funding the housing initiative that Shiloam Mission is starting to reduce homelessness by 30% each year in Winnipeg. I think it only needs $10 million per year!
#### me, you can't be that dumb. You really, really think CBC dollars will end up somewhere like that? Come on man.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:57 PM   #12063
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You are right, the funding for the CBC would be much better used helping address some massive issues our country is facing, like homelessness, healthcare and education.

I know Manitoba would love the $1.39 billion that the CBC gets every year to improve our health care services and get people off the streets of Winnipeg.

We could start with funding the housing initiative that Shiloam Mission is starting to reduce homelessness by 30% each year in Winnipeg. I think it only needs $10 million per year!
Well, Manitoba already gets the most per capita in federal transfers outside the maritimes and the north. Divying up 1.3 billion between all the provinces isn't going to change much. Maybe now that you have a change in government at the provincial level you'll see the changes you're hoping for.

I don't consume much, if anything, from the CBC but thinking that getting rid of it is going to change anything or improve life is nonsense. It's a political dog whistle.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM   #12064
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, this is why I can't get behind changing the Liberals for the sake of change. You have conservatives telling us they're going to ramp up the facsism/authoritarianism, and people are like "Well we need a change!" "They'll moderate once they're in power!"
The ####nut can't even manage enough decorum for the House, and we know how awful that place is.

Quote:
Poilievre's day-long removal from the House of Commons came after he called Trudeau a "wacko" for supporting B.C.'s policy of decriminalizing some hard drugs in an attempt to reduce the number of overdose-related deaths.

Poilievre said it was a "wacko policy" backed by "this wacko prime minister." Fergus asked him to withdraw the "unparliamentary language."

Poilievre refused, saying only that he agreed to replace "wacko" with "extremist" or "radical." Poilievre's refusal prompted Fergus to remove him.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...acko-1.7189600

Then the rest of the party left in protest.

Look out, the adults are coming!
Old 04-30-2024, 02:07 PM   #12065
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Kind of looking similar to the O'Toole trajectory at the moment. Big lead that tapers off as the election gets closer.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...anos-1.6831453
Bringing back this post, as we've had 3 Nanos polls since this 12 point one was quoted, where Nanos utilizes a rolling poll method which tends to cause wider week to week fluctuations.

Needless to say, not only was it an outlier, several polls post-budget now have the Conservatives in their biggest lead ever since their 2003 foundation (have to go back to Mulroney's 1984 numbers for a larger lead), including Nanos which has them at over 20 points in their newest one.

https://nanos.co/jobs-the-economy-to...-points-nanos/

Singh's ho hum strategy and propping up the Liberals on poor policies have significantly impacted their polling numbers. It appears likely that 2015 will be his last year as both leader and MP. NDP not capitalizing on the Liberal fall from grace will be discussed for years as a missed opportunity for a party that has lost its identity.

I find it peculiar that only one poll out of dozens in recent months that showed a decline in CPC support was the only posted.

Quote:
Yeah, this is why I can't get behind changing the Liberals for the sake of change. You have conservatives telling us they're going to ramp up the facsism/authoritarianism, and people are like "Well we need a change!" "They'll moderate once they're in power!"
It was only 2-3 years ago that some posters were boasting that the CPC needed to change its core values to ever be electable in Canada. Well they did change, only further to the right. And now here we are, landslide territory and continued increasing support, despite Poilievre and despite moving further to the right. That's just how bad the sentiment against the Liberal-NDP coalition has become. It's not so much the expectation that the CPC will fix everything, or anything for that matter, but anything is better than the current situation. This has never been a vote for the CPC, but a vote against the Liberal-NDP coalition, that was enabled by how disenfranchised Canadians are feeling with detrimental policies.

A reminder as well that the disproportionate fearmongering represented by this forum does not necessarily represent the general population's views.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-30-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:09 PM   #12066
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Now PP is going after convicted murderers and criminals who get out on bail to commit more crimes?
He has gone too far; leave these good people alone. Getting out on bail to assault/kill/rape more people is a tried and true Canadian past time.
Do you know where Canada ranks in the world by murder per capita?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate

I don’t think everyone is advocating for giving murderers a free pass. I think a lot of people just consider prioritizing them to be a political red herring.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:17 PM   #12067
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Bringing back this post, as we've had 3 Nanos polls since this 12 point one was quoted, where Nanos utilizes a rolling poll method which tends to cause wider week to week fluctuations.

Needless to say, not only was it an outlier, several polls post-budget now have the Conservatives in their biggest lead ever since their 2003 foundation (have to go back to Mulroney's 1984 numbers for a larger lead), including Nanos which has them at over 20 points in their newest one.

https://nanos.co/jobs-the-economy-to...-points-nanos/

Singh's ho hum strategy and propping up the Liberals on poor policies have significantly impacted their polling numbers. It appears likely that 2015 will be his last year as both leader and MP. NDP not capitalizing on the Liberal fall from grace will be discussed for years as a missed opportunity for a party that has lost its identity.

I find it peculiar that only one poll out of dozens in recent months that showed a decline in CPC support was the only posted.

It was only 2-3 years ago that some posters were boasting that the CPC needed to change its core values to ever be electable in Canada. Well they did change, only further to the right. And now here we are, landslide territory and continued increasing support, despite Poilievre and despite moving further to the right. That's just how bad the sentiment against the Liberal-NDP coalition has become. It's not so much the expectation that the CPC will fix everything, or anything for that matter, but anything is better than the current situation. This has never been a vote for the CPC, but a vote against the Liberal-NDP coalition, that was enabled by how disenfranchised Canadians are feeling with detrimental policies.

A reminder as well that the disproportionate fearmongering represented by this forum does not necessarily represent the general population's views.
It's not fearmongering, it's pointing out reality. You know, like we did with Smith, and behold! She's even worse than we feared. Ignore reality at our peril.

The general population isn't paying attention right now because it isn't an election. Do you really think these numbers hold up when people actually start paying attention to angry millhouse? Dude has the appeal of rotting milk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:18 PM   #12068
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The ####nut can't even manage enough decorum for the House, and we know how awful that place is.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...acko-1.7189600

Then the rest of the party left in protest.

Look out, the adults are coming!
See, this continues to illustrate the exact problem with fearmongering and fake outrage.

Most Canadians are very much against decriminalizing drugs. So much so that Eby and the BC NDP who implemented is wanting a reversal of policy.

To those already hating Conservatives, they will point to Poilievre and CPC's stunt as children antics and why they cannot be elected.

To a good number of Canadians, they see a party fighting against a government too stubborn to even allow BC's own wishes to reverse the decriminalization of drugs out of pure ideology. Call it populism if you will, but populism is about catering to views that are popular.

I mean even Eby and the NDP capitulated on this, decriminalization of hard drugs is not a popular viewpoint and this stunt will only help the Conservatives.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:23 PM   #12069
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See, this continues to illustrate the exact problem with fearmongering and fake outrage.

Most Canadians are very much against decriminalizing drugs.
So much so that Eby and the BC NDP who implemented is wanting a reversal of policy.

To those already hating Conservatives, they will point to Poilievre and CPC's stunt as children antics and why they cannot be elected.

To a good number of Canadians, they see a party fighting against a government too stubborn to even allow BC's own wishes to reverse the decriminalization of drugs out of pure ideology. Call it populism if you will, but populism is about catering to views that are popular.

I mean even Eby and the NDP capitulated on this, decriminalization of hard drugs is not a popular viewpoint and this stunt will only help the Conservatives.
It's really not as overwhelming a position as you paint.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:27 PM   #12070
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's not fearmongering, it's pointing out reality. You know, like we did with Smith, and behold! She's even worse than we feared. Ignore reality at our peril.

The general population isn't paying attention right now because it isn't an election. Do you really think these numbers hold up when people actually start paying attention to angry millhouse? Dude has the appeal of rotting milk.
You realize I voted for the Alberta NDP right? Don't blame me for that mess

The general population is most definitely paying attention to their rent costs, to homeless and drug crisis getting worse, to going in a hospital and seeing another patient shoot up next to them, to the carbon tax amount and ever increasing gas prices and inflation.

Are all of these Liberal specific issues? Of course not. But they see things getting worse under their watch. Note how Liberals were seen positively during the pandemic and tried to cash in with a pandemic election? In this case the viewpoint is extremely negative. It would take a colossal CPC screw up or a complete turnaround for polls to materially change in the Liberal favour
Old 04-30-2024, 02:30 PM   #12071
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That narrative exists largely in this echo chamber and other online anti-UCP communities, so yes, it was and is absolutely fearmongering.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:30 PM   #12072
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Well, Manitoba already gets the most per capita in federal transfers outside the maritimes and the north. Divying up 1.3 billion between all the provinces isn't going to change much. Maybe now that you have a change in government at the provincial level you'll see the changes you're hoping for.

I don't consume much, if anything, from the CBC but thinking that getting rid of it is going to change anything or improve life is nonsense. It's a political dog whistle.
You're forgetting about the genius part of the plan though:

1) Take a building in downtown Toronto with a 10-storey atrium in the middle of it that's worth hundreds of millions of dollars that was designed as a broadcast center, and thus has few windows relative to its square footage (the building is square, with most of the broadcast areas are in the center of the building, away from street noise).

2) Spend probably half a billion dollars renovating it so it's suitable for housing.

3) Assuming these units will actually all have windows, produce maybe 750 units of "affordable" housing for about $1M each.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:31 PM   #12073
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's really not as overwhelming a position as you paint.

Opinions can change after a year (or rather months) of seeing the effects of decriminalizing hard drug use and enabling it in public areas.

The BC NDP thought it would be beneficial and had enough support for it, all a sudden they could be in danger of losing the next election the BC Conservatives that came out of nowhere (and they have more in common with the PPC)

If opinions never changed, Conservatives wouldn't be leading by so much.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:34 PM   #12074
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
That narrative exists largely in this echo chamber and other online anti-UCP communities, so yes, it was and is absolutely fearmongering.
I shouldn't be surprised you don't know what the definition of words are, but pointing out real pitfalls that will happen, and then them happening, isn't fearmongering.

How's that tax cut working out for you? Oh, right, you bought the ####ing lie...again.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:35 PM   #12075
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Opinions can change after a year (or rather months) of seeing the effects of decriminalizing hard drug use and enabling it in public areas.

The BC NDP thought it would be beneficial and had enough support for it, all a sudden they could be in danger of losing the next election the BC Conservatives that came out of nowhere (and they have more in common with the PPC)

If opinions never changed, Conservatives wouldn't be leading by so much.
Lightbulb! There ya go. Which is why I wouldn't get to wound up about opinion polls when an election isn't happening.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:36 PM   #12076
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I can remember a time when warning someone that someone was going to do something and it ended up happening was just considered to be warning them.

I guess it’s considered fearmongering now.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:42 PM   #12077
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Call it populism if you will, but populism is about catering to views that are popular.
That doesn't make those views rational or intelligent.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:52 PM   #12078
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I'm sure that would drive opinions polls, that has little to do with decriminalization. People used drugs in public before and they still do it in places where it was never decriminalized. Increasing public drug use is primarily a housing issue where addicts are less likely to have stable housing than in the past, leaving them to use drugs on the street more often.

I mean, Alberta's overdose deaths in 2023 increased at about 3x the rate that BC's did, so if decriminalization led to big increases in vulnerable people using hard drugs, wouldn't that show up in that metric?
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:56 PM   #12079
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lightbulb! There ya go. Which is why I wouldn't get to wound up about opinion polls when an election isn't happening.
Eventually it will. Eventually Harper had to get in an election in 2015 knowing he would lose or at the best a small minority. There's a reason why we are not going to the polls in the short term, and it's not because the Liberals are doing well.

Do you seriously see a material change coming? It's not going to happen out of thin air. Do you see Canada be in a materially better place by October 2025? Do you see a major change that the Liberal party has enacted that sees us in a better state next year?
Old 04-30-2024, 02:57 PM   #12080
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
That doesn't make those views rational or intelligent.
And in fact, they're usually the opposite by design. Populism is generally based on playing to peoples fears and basest instincts while offering simplistic solutions.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: