Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #1181
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Weddings.

When did these out of control, extravagant weddings start? Who convinced us that spending tens of thousands on a wedding is okay? We laugh at celebrity's million dollar weddings, but that is a fraction of their income compared to what us plebs spend on ours. I blame baby boomers. Or maybe pinterest.

A courthouse wedding has never looked so good...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #1182
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

salt.
salt in everything you buy

V8 - 27% dv, can soup, tomoatoes, sauces, any type of processed food.

A teen burger makes me feel like i need to drink 5 glasses of water just to equalize.

Why why why do they add so much?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #1183
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Weddings.

When did these out of control, extravagant weddings start? Who convinced us that spending tens of thousands on a wedding is okay? We laugh at celebrity's million dollar weddings, but that is a fraction of their income compared to what us plebs spend on ours. I blame baby boomers. Or maybe pinterest.

Uh oh, were only one reply away from someone mentioning destination weddings.

Ooops.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #1184
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Uh oh, were only one reply away from someone mentioning destination weddings.

Ooops.
I was going to mention destination weddings, but now you ruined it...

Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #1185
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weddings.

My wife's parents had put away money for her, and all her life mentioned it was for a house or wedding. When the time came we decided we wanted to use the money towards moving to a house from our apartment instead of having a wedding, they then said it had to be used on a wedding or we would not be getting it. Fun times!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #1186
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Such a pain in the ass to report, follow up, etc. People just need to use common sense. C'mon, it's super early. Don't be shoveling or mowing your lawn. Be respectful to others. It's a lost art these days as you can see by rotten42's post above. "Well, at least I'm doing it", justifies not respecting other people apparently.

Just use your head people. This isn't rocket science.

Like the neighbour who thinks its ok to put their dog out at 6am and let it bark for an hour. <shakes head>...

As for insulation, well, some of us rent and some of the condos/rental units are just brutal for sound.
People need to talk to their neighbours about these types of issues.

It is possible they dont think it is an issue, some communication might help.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #1187
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
salt.
salt in everything you buy

V8 - 27% dv, can soup, tomoatoes, sauces, any type of processed food.

A teen burger makes me feel like i need to drink 5 glasses of water just to equalize.

Why why why do they add so much?
Because salt is amazing and makes everything taste better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
People need to talk to their neighbours about these types of issues.

It is possible they dont think it is an issue, some communication might help.
I shouldn't have to tell someone that they are not respecting other people by mowing their lawn or shoveling at 6am or earlier on a weekend. Again, if people would just use their head.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #1188
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I shouldn't have to tell someone that they are not respecting other people by mowing their lawn or shoveling at 6am or earlier on a weekend. Again, if people would just use their head.

But it appears you can't, so you can continue to be bothered or talk to them......
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #1189
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Weddings.

Who? Wedding Vendors.

Here Comes the Bride
A History of the American Wedding

http://www.randomhistory.com/1-50/009wedding.html

In many ways, the history and development of the American wedding from simple, homespun ceremonies to elaborate, public rituals are directly related to changes in the American mindset throughout the country’s history.

By the 1920s and 1930s, brides had largely turned to professionals to organize their weddings for them. However, while this trend had already been evolving for nearly four decades, it was not until the Jazz Age that wedding vendors began to see the true business potential of brides and their weddings. One of the clearest and earliest manifestations of the new conception of the bride as a profit center was the introduction of bridal departments in large stores. Many stores began to offer a whole section of merchandise devoted to the bride and her big day. Around the same time, catered weddings and engraved invitations became less of a luxury for only the very rich and more of a standard that all brides should aspire to. Wedding photographers also became a key part of the wedding proceedings and often scripted the entire progression of the wedding with their photograph cues.

This turning of wedding preparations to the professionals created an interesting side effect of uniformity in American weddings. By the 1950s, when a white wedding was the ultimate dream for an affluent, middle class bride, the American wedding was a cookie-cutter production that could easily be replicated for another bride by the professionals who had created it.

Last edited by troutman; 02-04-2014 at 02:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #1190
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit, I don't understand the complaining about shoveling early during the week.

I am at work for 7am so when would you like me to shovel? After I get home from work at 4, after the day is over and everyone curses me for not shoveling?

If I leave the walk un-shoveled until 4 someone could slip and hurt themself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #1191
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
But it appears you can't, so you can continue to be bothered or talk to them......
This is a what grinds my gears thread right?

So now it's my fault that I don't go and tell the idiot to not mow his fricken' lawn at 6am. OK, gotcha'.

Imagine how amazing this world would be if people always stopped before they did something and said "Hmmm, I wonder how this will effect other people?"

As opposed to, "I'll do whatever I want when I want and who gives a crap about anyone else or their feelings."

These are the same people that drive and only see in front of them. They have no idea what is going on beside them or behind them. Just as long as they get to where they are going and they are taken care of, who cares about anyone else.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #1192
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I have to admit, I don't understand the complaining about shoveling early during the week.
Not sure who said during the week. Personally I was talking about the weekend.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #1193
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a what grinds my gears thread right?

So now it's my fault that I don't go and tell the idiot to not mow his fricken' lawn at 6am. OK, gotcha'.

Imagine how amazing this world would be if people always stopped before they did something and said "Hmmm, I wonder how this will effect other people?"

As opposed to, "I'll do whatever I want when I want and who gives a crap about anyone else or their feelings."

These are the same people that drive and only see in front of them. They have not idea what is going on beside them or behind them. Just as long as they get to where they are going and they are taken care of, who cares about anyone else.

Why do you think we need noise bylaws.......cuz most people do think about stuff like that.

Anyway, letting it grind your gears is way better than having a chat with a neighbour.

As you were.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #1194
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure who said during the week. Personally I was talking about the weekend.
I just assumed Troutman meant anyday, I knew you were talking about lawn mowing on the weekend.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #1195
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you think we need noise bylaws.......cuz most people do think about stuff like that.

Anyway, letting it grind your gears is way better than having a chat with a neighbour.

As you were.
Chatting with neighbours usually ends up with people ticked off. If I ask politely that he not mow his lawn at 6am, I'm deemed the "jerk". Been there done that. Not interested anymore. Just simply saying people could use their heads and think of others, that's all. Hence, the gear grinder.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #1196
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's a special place in hell for those who sing along to songs that they're listening to with earphones. And an even more evil place in hell for those who only sing ONE LINE to a song, in which they must have on repeat since I hear it three or four times a day. I'm looking at you, neighbour across the hall at work.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #1197
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hockeyguy makes a good point. He is weighing the harm in annoying his neighbors with noise, or risking someone slipping on his sidewalk. Fair enough.

I think it is ok to shovel a 4 or 5 pm. I can't get to mine before that. I don't think you could be assessed liability if you shovel within a reasonable time.

I still don't understand those that shovel while it is still snowing. You are just going to have to do it again, so why not do it once?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #1198
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Hockeyguy makes a good point. He is weighing the harm in annoying his neighbors with noise, or risking someone slipping on his sidewalk. Fair enough.

I think it is ok to shovel a 4 or 5 pm. I can't get to mine before that. I don't think you could be assessed liability if you shovel within a reasonable time.

I still don't understand those that shovel while it is still snowing. You are just going to have to do it again, so why not do it once?
Does anyone know any lawyers??

Seriously though, I don't know what the liability would be. I just thought I was being a polite neighbour shoveling before I left for the day.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #1199
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if it's still snowing, but the snow is pretty deep, I will shovel it if its getting late. Plus there is nothing worse than having to shovel after it has been trampled over. Much nicer when the bulk of it is fluffy and light.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #1200
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me into the shovel early and often crowd. My neighbours also shovel their walks pretty early, which Id much rather have than living amongst people who don't care enough to shovel. I'll shovel any time between 5:30am and 11pm, and never think twice, and I think most others are in the same boat.
Closed Thread