Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #101
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Not sure if this is real or not but this guy has been tweeting non-stop about the tablet (apparently Apple gave him one to play around with 3 days ago), if what he says is real it sounds cool

http://twitter.com/jason

Quote:
Apple tablet's 2 cameras is sick feature for video conferencing: u shoot what's in front of you + yourself. Augmented video conferncing!
Quote:
Apple tablet games are sick. Basically nintendo wii-level innovation. Custom farmville app is insane. Mark pincus is demoing with steve tmmr
Quote:
Yes, apple tablet is oled + back has solar pad for recharging, but it really doesn't work quickly. More a gimmic. Verizon+att,wifi yes!
Quote:
Apple Tablet has thumbpads on each side for mouse guestures, reads fingerprint for security. Up to 5 profiles by finerprint for family.
Quote:
facial recognition apple tablet is nuts. When you hold it up it recognizes you + pulls your desktop/apps, hand to family member it switchs
Quote:
Off to bed, but I assure you I'm not joking and the specs are real.... Most of all that this is best gadget ever made and NOT overhyped.
Quote:
Best feature of Apple Tablet for me is wireless charging via optional base station. Put one in TV room+bedroom. Lay it down its charging
Quote:
The price will be 599, 699 and 799 depending on size and memory in apple tablet. Also, wireless keyboard + monitor connection for tv
Quote:
Well @joshgrenon, I can tell u the battery life is great in ebook reading mode but not great when on wifi or playing games. 2-3hrs
Quote:
Yes @HappyDrew, the apple tablet is running an iphone os flavor with ability to have multiple apps running at same time (ie pandora, browser

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #102
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Sooooooo, how long is the presentation? Everyone knows that the tablet is going to be introduced last.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #103
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Not sure if this is real or not but this guy has been tweeting non-stop about the tablet (apparently Apple gave him one to play around with 3 days ago), if what he says is real it sounds cool

http://twitter.com/jason
I wouldn't put too much stock into someone who uses the word sick to describe anything.

Also things like solar panel charging and wireless charging are also giveaways that this person is probably 12 years old.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #104
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
My only prediction is iPhone 4.0 having a screen that can compete with the Droid and Nexus One. I'll be interested to see how high of resolution they go with it.
That would probably come out during the iPhone announcement that isn't usually done for a few more months. iPhone 4.0 is the firmware upgrade (last year's brought cut, copy, paste among other things). I think you're right, but I don't think we'll be hearing anything about the next iPhone until April/May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock into someone who uses the word sick to describe anything.

Also things like solar panel charging and wireless charging are also giveaways that this person is probably 12 years old.
Calacanis is actually a player in the tech community. Whether or not he's just screwing with people though is still up in the air (he's not the biggest apple fan in the world).

Edit: Leo Leporte just mentioned that @Jason is "obviously lying" and just screwing with people.

Last edited by Russic; 01-27-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #105
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

If the tablet had an OLED screen, then a solar panel might not be out of the question for charging it. Still would have to cover most of the back, I'd guess.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #106
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

OLED's are less draining on a battery aren't they?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #107
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Is this the Apple Tablet?

Most convincing photos yet...

Quote:
Okay, we obviously can't confirm this, but we just got two very interesting images of what certainly looks like a prototype Apple tablet, or what could be the tablet bolted down to a table. It's big -- really big -- and it's running what clearly looks like an iPhone app, although we've never seen an iPhone app with that interface or at that resolution before. We also see a WiFi icon and a cell service indicator, although tragically there's no carrier listed. As far as fakes go, this is as convincing as it gets, so either this is the real deal or someone deserves a hearty congratulations.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...-apple-tablet/

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-27-2010 at 09:45 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #108
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Incidentally... The most recent Google Trends list: http://www.google.com/trends/m
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #109
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Calacanis is actually a player in the tech community. Whether or not he's just screwing with people though is still up in the air (he's not the biggest apple fan in the world).
I have no doubt that the tablet will have some new and interesting features, but solar panel charging seems like a large leap in technological progress. And wireless charging (in separate rooms no less!) is ridiculous. That technology is in it's infancy. So unless Apple has been secretly advancing a separate technology to a point probably several years (or decades?) ahead of everyone else then I think this guy is pulling everyone's chain. Solar panel charging at least is possible, although I would say doubtful, wireless charging is just crazy talk.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #110
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
OLED's are less draining on a battery aren't they?
Much less, since they don't need a backlight. Backlights are the real power drainers.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #111
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

...and is this the back?

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?sid=gizmod...efId%3D5458217
Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #112
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
I have no doubt that the tablet will have some new and interesting features, but solar panel charging seems like a large leap in technological progress. And wireless charging (in separate rooms no less!) is ridiculous. That technology is in it's infancy. So unless Apple has been secretly advancing a separate technology to a point probably several years (or decades?) ahead of everyone else then I think this guy is pulling everyone's chain. Solar panel charging at least is possible, although I would say doubtful, wireless charging is just crazy talk.
I don't think hes talking about wireless charging in seperate rooms. Hes talking about something like a powermat

http://www.powermat.com/us/home/

That being said, it looks like he keeps coming out with more and more features that make his claims to be less likely
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #113
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah I wouldn't put much stock into that guy. I can tell just by the way it's being written that it's fake. Not to mention all the logical barriers as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #114
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wireless charging is a 3rd party add on you can buy for your iphone.

I agree though, the Solar Panel thing is peculiar.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #115
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Twitter Jason account is Calakanis, then its obviously fake. He was on TWIT and didnt have much info, you think a guy like that would have dropped a few nuggets for the TWIT crowd.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #116
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think hes talking about wireless charging in seperate rooms. Hes talking about something like a powermat

http://www.powermat.com/us/home/

That being said, it looks like he keeps coming out with more and more features that make his claims to be less likely
I guess his tweet could go either way, but you and mykalberta are probably correct. I had just read an article that was talking about the things that the tablet won't have, but should. And it talked about wireless charging that would work through walls and such.

I agree about the too many claims. It seems unlikely that it would have so many brand new hardware and software features. It'll no doubt have many new things but his tweets read like a techno dorks wish list rather than reality.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #117
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ya Leo Leporte pretty much outed Jason as purposefully screwing with people.

My favorite quote of the day so far relating to the amount of media coverage:

"When I walked around the corner I knew either somebody shot a lot of people, or Apple is releasing a product."
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #118
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
If the Twitter Jason account is Calakanis, then its obviously fake. He was on TWIT and didnt have much info, you think a guy like that would have dropped a few nuggets for the TWIT crowd.
The account is "verfified" by Twitter and has 95000 followers don't think its a fake account.

More likely he is trying to have a fun at expense of Apple fan boys
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #119
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The account is "verfified" by Twitter and has 95000 followers don't think its a fake account.

More likely he is trying to have a fun at expense of Apple fan boys
Sorry, I meant the info, not the account.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #120
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Well at least this time we made it 6 pages without the term "fan boy" being used. I think that's a new record.