Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #101
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

im excited for the online multiplayer! new maps. new guns. new perks =)
Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #102
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Play CoD:WaW and then play MW. There is a huge difference, MW is good, WaW is a piece of crap.
i actually liked WaW. the only thing that drove me crazy was getting mowed down with mp40's with stopping power when playing regular deathmatch and such. so i just played hardcore instead. the only thing i didnt like is how they decided to release like 4 map packs. i stopped after 2
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #103
awildermode
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone know if the night vision goggles fro actually work?

how well do they work? actually thinking of getting it, just for the $90 NVG
Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #104
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see the NVG being that good. And, even if they were, what purpose would they serve other than slightly-fun novelty item at home, yet radically-fun novelty item when you go camping.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #105
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Cool.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #106
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
I can't see the NVG being that good. And, even if they were, what purpose would they serve other than slightly-fun novelty item at home, yet radically-fun novelty item when you go camping.
Minus the Activision logo, there was a post on the xbox forums linking the MW2 NVG's to a pair on Toys R' Us, for $60. They were the exact same except different colour and logo. I also saw pictures of the assembly line in China of them making the NVG's. They cost about $7 to manufacture, and are nothing more than a novelty.

Personally, if anyone buys the Prestige edition for these is a complete idiot. If your going in KNOWING they are a novelty and just want them for decoration fine, I bought the Legendary Halo 3 with the helmet (which will always be cool ), but don't get them in hopes they actually work more than 20 minutes.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #107
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
i actually liked WaW. the only thing that drove me crazy was getting mowed down with mp40's with stopping power when playing regular deathmatch and such. so i just played hardcore instead. the only thing i didnt like is how they decided to release like 4 map packs. i stopped after 2
Yeah I only play hardcore. I got tired of having to put a whole clip in someone to kill them. Or shooting them in the chest with an anti tank gun and they just keep running.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #108
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
easy, he modded his xbox and got an illegal copy, so he's complaining despite not even paying for it.
No, I was invited to play by someone who had an advance copy. I know several game journalists who get these things. I also got to play Dragon Age (know people at Bioware in Edmonton) and Borderlands much earlier than release. I would never own an Xbox or any type of console and this game is the classic example of a PC franchise being consolified.

No dedicated servers allowed, pvp matchmaking (lag, lack of choice, no community), no mod support, 3rd person gameplay, no leaning, a limit on 9 vs. 9 in multiplayer etc. All draconian and backward steps designed for consoles and dumbing the game down for the masses.

Maybe this game will be fun for you guys but as someone who has played COD since the first one in 2003, the formula is getting extremely stretched and tired for me. I was hoping for a sea-change in the gameplay but it's the same yet worse than ever before.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-05-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #109
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
No dedicated servers allowed, pvp matchmaking (lag, lack of choice, no community), no mod support, 3rd person gameplay, no leaning, a limit on 9 vs. 9 in multiplayer etc. All draconian and backward steps designed for consoles and dumbing the game down for the masses.

Maybe this game will be fun for you guys but as someone who has played COD since the first one in 2003, the formula is getting extremely stretched and tired for me. I was hoping for a sea-change in the gameplay but it's the same yet worse than ever before.
I finally cancelled my Dell preorder after more info came out about the multiplayer recently. Was hoping for the best but it just got worse. There's no point in buying for the single player. You can finish within a short rental or just borrow a friends copy.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #110
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
I finally cancelled my Dell preorder after more info came out about the multiplayer recently. Was hoping for the best but it just got worse. There's no point in buying for the single player. You can finish within a short rental or just borrow a friends copy.
Single player lasts about 5-6 hours. I played only an hour last night and I was on stage 5 already. Like with all other CODs, you can extend this by doing Veteran difficulty but that basically just makes more lame enemy respawning and grenade spamming by the CPU. Multiplayer almost has no redeeming features left in it anymore after the changes by Infinity Ward. Definetely a no-buy for me.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #111
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

How good is the single player though? I've never got much into multiplayer, but the first MW was an epic single player game.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #112
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CoD used to be designed for PC, and ported to consoles, but now its opposite!
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #113
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there leaning in the first Modern Warfare? I can't remember. I had the Xbox 360 version and I don't remember it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #114
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
How good is the single player though? I've never got much into multiplayer, but the first MW was an epic single player game.
From what I played, not that great. There is no mission that even compares to the Chernobyl mission of the first game from what I've heard from those who have completed the game.

Tons of rail shooting sequences that get a bit tiring. There's also a total lack of any real suspense or believability for me. The one 'stealth' level has you sneaking around in a base during a blizzard and apparently that allows you to sneak up and knife all the soldiers because you literally have a total clone of the motion tracker Sigourney Weaver uses in Aliens! I thought this game was supposed to take place in the 21st century.

I played the controversial level and I honestly didn't feel anything. The execution was really poor. It was static with no real emotion or drama at all. You just walk around with your gun sticking out and you can shoot if you want to. The whole game feels like it's on rails.

Keep in mind, I've only played the first 5 levels. The first MW got much better as the game progressed. You get sequences like the gunship, etc. again and it does all those things but after the first one, it's nothing new and it feels like a retread.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #115
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Was there leaning in the first Modern Warfare? I can't remember. I had the Xbox 360 version and I don't remember it.
No leaning the the console version, just in the PC version. If you liked COD4 on the consoles, you should have no problems with MW2 on the consoles, since nothing is removed (stuff is added). If you played COD4 on the PC, then you'll have stuff to complain about since all the extra stuff added for the PC release (leaning, dedicated servers, console/mod support, larger online battles...ect) are not there. I think part of the reasoning for the exclusion is to get PC users to use IW's matchmaking service (similar to battle.net). IW says that their match making service will make the game more balanced. The exclusion of dedicated servers i think is to curb piracy. If you have to use IW/Activision servers, it's much easier to see who is playing with blacklisted keys.

As a console player, I don't really know what I'm missing out on, so I'm really looking forward to this game, it looks like a very cinematic experience. (but won't get to it for awhile until i'm done with borderlands and AC2 is out soon as well).

IW has a lot of controversy lately with the airport mission, the PC verision gimping, and the F.A.G.S. marketing campaign (as we'll see if there is any backlash from the military base incident), but I think it's still sell like crazy.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #116
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah sounds like it will be pretty disappointing for a PC Gamer of which I am.

I also cannot understand how people play and enjoy FPS games on a console.

In either case TF2 is still around and still getting better. Swing and miss by the COD developer.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #117
Staypuft
Self Imposed Ban

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
I also cannot understand how people play and enjoy FPS games on a console.
Well see, I bet it's kind of like how PC gamers play and enjoy their FPS's.
Hook up online with some friends and shoot people in the face.

Only console owners have to use those IMPOSSIBLE 2 sticks.
Like wtf, 2 sticks...who could enjoy that?
Staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #118
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Exactly. It's like trying to play hockey with your skateguards on. Why would you knowingly play a game with incredibly inferior controls?

What ends up happening is the gameplay is dumbed down to spray and pray, auto-assist tactics.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #119
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Exactly. It's like trying to play hockey with your skateguards on. Why would you knowingly play a game with incredibly inferior controls?

What ends up happening is the gameplay is dumbed down to spray and pray, auto-assist tactics.
Consoles are cheap (well, I guess that is arguable), and you don't have to worry about upgrading too much. I guess it's just more simple.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #120
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

yup, no hassle with anything, just buy the game stick it in and play. and on a nice big tv without any hassle
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post: