Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 10:23 AM   #101
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado still has a 1st in their next two drafts. No 2nd rounders, though.

That's kind of who I hope we go for.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:25 AM   #102
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames got used here. From the initial contract talks all the way up until now. Hanifin wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Notify teams you are selling Hanifin as a rental and want 2 pieces back. Pick and a prospect. Leak his preferred team in free agency to drive down value. Hope he signs in Columbus. Apparently Conroy needs to let people know that he's not ####ing around.
Major Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:26 AM   #103
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just grinds my gears when a player and their management team stick it to the team they're leaving.

I had high expectations that Noah's group would have been helping the Flames like Tkachuks camp did.
.ah well.

So long and thanks for all the Fish Hanifin.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:39 AM   #104
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d take Johansen back, we have a need for a stop gap at center and he’s still one of the very best faceoff guys in the league.

Hanifin

For

Johansen
24 1st
25 3rd
Ritchie

Similar to the Lindy rental return though the prospect is better so only 1 prospect instead of 2.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:42 AM   #105
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Just grinds my gears when a player and their management team stick it to the team they're leaving.

I had high expectations that Noah's group would have been helping the Flames like Tkachuks camp did.
.ah well.

It's not like Iginla didn't do the same thing to an even greater degree.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:43 AM   #106
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Friedman throwing out Colorado as a potential for Hanifin. Don’t want to waste the year they are having. Exactly what we need. A team going all in and has the pieces we want
I don’t see where he’d fit in their D lines. If he bumps Girard from D2, then Girard is paired with Byram on D3 - two small, offensive-minded d-man probably isn’t the ideal 3rd pairing heading into the playoffs.

I supposed they could pair him with Byram and bump Girard-Manson down to D3.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:44 AM   #107
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

.ah well.

It doesn't mean they aren't trying to help but UFA vs RFA is a big difference in this case.

Let's say Hanifin has 4 preferred destinations (Boston, Tampa, Florida, one other team) that he's willing to sign with, if those teams don't step up to pay the price because they want to just take the risk they can get him as a UFA then there is no real leverage from Hanifin or the Flames camp.

With Tkachuk it was different because he was an RFA, so unless you wanted the offer sheet risk (Flames just match) or to just wait another year (Tkachuk signs his 1 year qualifying offer) then the teams and Tkachuk had to play ball with the Flames.

Hanifin telling teams that he's not willing to re-sign with them, isn't really skewering the Flames, it's just being honest. He earns his right to pick where he plays as a UFA and signing somewhere he doesn't want to be just because it helps the Flames would be foolish. Teams are going to want a contract agreed to before giving the Flames a big deal so not like Hanifn can lie and say "Yeah I'd be willing to re-sign", and then just not.

Really Hanifin is doing all he can to try to improve his market by having a great season this year, and in the end it's the Flames organizations fault for not more aggressively shopping Hanifin, Lindholm, and others last trade deadline when they had 1.5 seasons left.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-01-2024 at 10:48 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:44 AM   #108
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seems stupid from the players camp.
Why do you care where you get traded to. You can always still go to market and sign with the team that you want.

All it does is show your hand that you'll only sign for a very limited amount of teams.
Now your UFA leverage is gone and they can lowball the #### out of you.

If it's true that hanifins camp is throwing around this much influence around and screwing the flames then I hope he gets ####ed on his contract deal.

Last edited by traptor; 03-01-2024 at 10:46 AM.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:45 AM   #109
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:

.ah well.

He has a modified clause of 8 teams he can't be traded to right? If that is the case, then he earned that right in the contract. Conroy can still trade him to 23 other teams.

In terms of telling teams whether he re-signs with them or not or only will with certain teams, that's his right as well. If teams want him as a rental the price is there. He has no say to those 23 teams.

If teams are expecting he will re-sign just because they traded for him, that's not on Hanifin IMO. He has earned being a UFA July 1st and isn't bound to sign with a team just because they trade for him 4 months earlier. I'm sure teams will inquire if he will re-sign and it would be a terrible look if he said okay and then didn't.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:46 AM   #110
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want no part of Johansen or the caphit he comes with. There is a reason a young retooling team in Nashville is eating 8M in actual money to have him not play for their organization. There is also a reason Colorado is now looking to dump him as well. He's a lazy, unmotivated player that takes developmental minutes away from those who need them.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:49 AM   #111
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I’d take Johansen back, we have a need for a stop gap at center and he’s still one of the very best faceoff guys in the league.

Hanifin

For

Johansen
24 1st
25 3rd
Ritchie

Similar to the Lindy rental return though the prospect is better so only 1 prospect instead of 2.
I think taking back that Johansen contract is worth at least a 2nd on its own.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:52 AM   #112
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think taking back that Johansen contract is worth at least a 2nd on its own.
According to Puckpedia it's worth the 1st pick of the 2nd round - so 33rd overall.

So actually closer to being worth a 1st from Colorado than a 2nd.

https://puckpedia.com/CapRelief
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:53 AM   #113
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

.ah well.

People do realize that Tkachuk gave a very limited number of teams he was willing to accept a trade to right?

If there's an extension in place for 8 years, then obviously the player is going to be very picky about where they go. The player has every right to do that, and would have that right if they hit the UFA market.

My guess is two things types of deals are being discussed. There are rental deals, where the price is lower. Then there are extension deals to a few limited teams, where the price is higher, and things are taking much longer to work out for obvious reasons.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:53 AM   #114
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured Brisson and Conny would be in lockstep negotiating a new 8 year contract with teams he would sign with.

That 8th year carries value. Like I said, similar to how Tkachuk helped the Flames by giving them options.

Seems Hanifins group is beyond that approach and just hamstringing Conroy.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:54 AM   #115
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
True. Would not want to remove American players from your draft considerations. Want to take best player available. It just sucks cause the flames have been burned by this more than any other Canadian team in recent memory. What it does is cut your competitive window short… that’s what has happened with Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Hanifin and, to some extent, Fox...
How much of what has happened with this group of three—Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Hanifin—is interconnected? When Gaudreau left for Columbus at the LAST minute, did that make up Tkachuk's mind for him? After the poor season the Flames had last year, did Hanifin decide it was better for his own career aspirations to move on?

This is not just about these players being Americans. There are a bunch of MUCH more significant variables at play here in their decision making. I am willing to bet that had the Flames re-signed Gaudreau, they would very likely have extended both Tkachuk and Hanifin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:55 AM   #116
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There’s a reason why sign and trades are so rare. It’s really tricky to pull off and if you’re the player, why should you be forced into committing to a team for 8 years just so your current team can maximize returns?

Yes, the extra year is enticing, but if I’m Hanifin the ability to choose exactly where I go is more appealing. It’s not like he won’t be able to get another contract after a 7 year pact.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #117
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I figured Brisson and Conny would be in lockstep negotiating a new 8 year contract with teams he would sign with.

That 8th year carries value. Like I said, similar to how Tkachuk helped the Flames by giving them options.

Seems Hanifins group is beyond that approach and just hamstringing Conroy.
How?

Hanifin gave them a list, just like Tkachuk did.

I'm sure if Boston, Tampa, Florida or another team on his list negotiates the best deal, then Hanifin will sign an 8 year deal.

The issue is that doesn't seem to be happening, the teams can just wait for UFA...which wasn't an option with Tkachuk who was an RFA. They had to pay the price if they wanted him.

If a team not on his list is offering a good deal, but he doesn't want to sign there, it's not really hamstringing the Flames. Tkachuk would have done the same thing.

What really needs to happen is the fear from one of these teams that a division rival can get him if they wait, so they have the pay the price to get him now...but that threat doesn't seem to be working right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:10 AM   #118
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been a fan of NMC/NTC even if limited. It's obviously a lever that teams use to lower the $ paid out to the player, so it'll be hard for teams to not continue giving them out, but considering it limits the team so badly if/when it comes time to move the player, the overall benefit to me is minimum since the $ discount isn't that much. In both the Chucky and now apparently the Hanifin situation, the potential returns are limited which forces the Flames hands. Understood that the player will need to also agree to not having those clauses, but I'd prefer the Flames take the contract $ hit and leave themselves with all options possible if they need it, in the future.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:17 AM   #119
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t believe some posters are throwing hanifin and his agent under the bus. I’ve said this many times , Hanifin is not going to sign an 8 year deal with just anybody to please the flames. He has given his list of teams that he would re-sign with. He didn’t even have to do that. It’s not hanifins problem if those teams don’t have the assets to make the trade or would rather wait till he goes ufa. I’m 100% confident that if hanifin goes to ufa , Florida , Boston and Tampa ( all teams on his list) will all make pitches for him.

The sign and trade is good in theory, but very hard to pull off.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:27 AM   #120
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I would take a 1st and Lohrei or Poitras for Hanifin (extended)

rather get that then a bunch of random stuff from Colorado or Tampa
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote