Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2023, 06:00 PM   #101
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Judging by a lot of Coke stage performances this year it seems the stampede got rid of their language rules?

I remember it used to be a big deal with sum 41 being fined heavily for a few f bombs.
I was just discussing this with a friend. We couldn’t believe the guy the other night dropping dozens of F and N bombs. And that was just in the 3 minutes while we walked by between songs.

I remember bands getting in trouble for a single swear years ago, let alone an expletive filled rant like I heard.

I’m all for the swearing though, for the record. I was just caught off guard by it given the old guidelines.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:03 PM   #102
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, back in the mid 2000's Gob was warned for the S word, and then Derek Whibley from Sum 41 showed up drunk, dropped 3 or 4 F bombs and it was headlne news when the Stampede announced a fine to the band.

This past week has seen tonnes of F and N bombs.

Quote:
The Calgary Sun reports that Deryck Whibley and his band Sum 41 were onstage in Calgary, performing a reportedly drunken, expletive-filled show at the Stampede’s Coca-Cola stage, which saw them forfeit much of their performance fee.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:10 PM   #103
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Plus there was this “set” from Len back in the day:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/len/2...-3b991cd0.html
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:19 PM   #104
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, back in the mid 2000's Gob was warned for the S word, and then Derek Whibley from Sum 41 showed up drunk, dropped 3 or 4 F bombs and it was headlne news when the Stampede announced a fine to the band.

This past week has seen tonnes of F and N bombs.
Yeah Derek was pretty much intoxicated 24/7 for the decade following All Killer No Filler.

Ironically that's also the period when he and the band made their best music.

Not at all surprised that he did that.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:22 PM   #105
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post

Len played stampede around y2k? Or I guess they didn't, technically, since they made it through one track.

Really cool. Those were the times.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:38 PM   #106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, if the Stampede is OK with swearing, surely this forum could loosen up a bit...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:57 PM   #107
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like the issue was the location of the stage though?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:02 PM   #108
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The stage location was an issue due to space, overcrowding and bottlenecks, not swearing. It’s still right next to the erlton entrance and other busy areas with tons of kids and families.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 12:18 AM   #109
jayswin

Exp:

I guess it didn't go that viral, but was pretty hilarious to see PK Subban undercover as cowboys tent security.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 12:19 AM   #110
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from Ice Cube at Cowboys tent, he was awesome. Performed for nearly 1.5 hours, wasn't expecting that. Got out of there before Aoki (like it seemed most people over 25 were doing), you could tell that place was ready to explode...security was busy. PK may have gotten more than he bargained for ha-ha
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 12:53 AM   #111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it didn't go that viral, but was pretty hilarious to see PK Subban undercover as cowboys tent security.
Hey...a man's gotta work!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:37 AM   #112
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I was just discussing this with a friend. We couldn’t believe the guy the other night dropping dozens of F and N bombs. And that was just in the 3 minutes while we walked by between songs.

I remember bands getting in trouble for a single swear years ago, let alone an expletive filled rant like I heard.

I’m all for the swearing though, for the record. I was just caught off guard by it given the old guidelines.

Bill Peters?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 08:49 AM   #113
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post

Did someone steal their sunshine

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 07:01 PM   #114
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the Stampede was really good this year! Seems like for the first time there were enough not-midway, not-booze tent things to do to make it worthwhile. Lots of demonstrations, animals, horse obstacle course, and good musical acts on smaller stages here and there. Also went to the rodeo, which was a good time. I also finally rode a mechanical bull. In age adjusted terms I made it like 6000s.In reality....less. But still fun! Still have the arm to smash the beer bottles on the midway.

Piece de resistance was Shaggy and TLC. Great show and over by 7:30 so real people can leave before the young 'uns become unbearable.

Ya-hoo!
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThisIsAnOutrage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 10:08 PM   #115
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stampede is great. Did plenty of events and actually made money because of over/under. Not sure how people without industry events do it. Everything is so expensive.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:23 PM   #116
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Stampede is great. Did plenty of events and actually made money because of over/under. Not sure how people without industry events do it. Everything is so expensive.
I dont really like the Stampede, personally.

I'm a born and raised Calgarian, I've been more times than I can count, I dont really like Carnival rides, Midway games are okay, I can take or leave most of the weird food and I dont really like overpriced drinks. I'm uninterested in Rodeo for the most part and finally I think the North American concept of the 'Beer Garden' is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

If I could walk around with a beer and look at exhibits, etc. it would be a much more civilized event.

When I go, I like the events, the music, the Indigenous art.

Its just not my bag, but I do respect and enjoy that 1.3 million people seemed to enjoy it, good for them.

It is expensive. Thats no secret.

But thats something I dont get either, even when I was young, I'd go once or maybe twice, these people that hit the grounds every day for 10 days? Who are these people? Masochists?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 10:49 PM   #117
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I'm a born and raised Calgarian, I've been more times than I can count, I dont really like Carnival rides, Midway games are okay, I can take or leave most of the weird food and I dont really like overpriced drinks. I'm uninterested in Rodeo for the most part and finally I think the North American concept of the 'Beer Garden' is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

If I could walk around with a beer and look at exhibits, etc. it would be a much more civilized event.

Its just not my bag, but I do respect and enjoy that 1.3 million people seemed to enjoy it, good for them.

But thats something I dont get either, even when I was young, I'd go once or maybe twice, these people that hit the grounds every day for 10 days? Who are these people? Masochists?
Not bery many, I'd imagine. Just the richer "scene" crowd. But they don't care, they're probably getting that drunk during a standard week hanging out and partying, anyways.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:51 AM   #118
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

In the Western Oasis (in BMO), you can do exactly that. A beer or pint of wine, and all kinds of art and exhibits to see. It sounds like it might be expanded with the new expansion to be completed next year, which is also awesome!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 05:36 PM   #119
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
In the Western Oasis (in BMO), you can do exactly that. A beer or pint of wine, and all kinds of art and exhibits to see. It sounds like it might be expanded with the new expansion to be completed next year, which is also awesome!
Dude!

It's not a secret if you post about it on the message board!!!
Old 07-18-2023, 06:54 PM   #120
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Pints of wine? That's a new option.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote