Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #101
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
...If Bishop pushed for a 5 or 6 year deal then who knows what you do. Elliot for 2 more years or maybe Fleury for the 2 years left on his contract and then pray Gillies is ready?
I think that if Bishop is priced out of the market for Calgary, then a trade for MA Fleury could be a solid alternative that would not cost a fortune in assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #102
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I know everyone is still really down on Elliot after the playoffs, but you have to remember he also stood on his head for two months.

What about bringing him back and trading for one of Darling/Korpisalo/another young guy and rolling with a 50/50 split? Play whoever is the hot hand at the time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Bishop is going to be on the Flames radar. I see him signing 3 year deal approx 3.5-4 Million.
I can't see him coming that cheap
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #103
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bishop might have struggled this past year (which might cost him some term) but he's going to still get $5-6m plus! Not a chance he signs for $3-4m per.

I'd be happy with a 4 x $5.5m or 3 x $6m but doubt that gets it done.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #104
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I can't see him coming that cheap
I don't see a team offering Bishop 5.5 plus. But we shall see Treliving can work some magic.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #105
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The goaltending market is soft. Anything more than a 2nd round pick and prospect is major overpayment for Mrazek. Treliving hangs up the phone before Holland can finish saying "Sam Bennett". I would expect Mrazek + one of their top organizational prospects for Backlund.
Mmkay, because Gillies is only worth a 2nd. Makes sense

Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #106
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Where do our young goalies slot in?
Developing.

You don't build a team with your fingers crossed hoping holes get filled by prospects, definitely not at the goalie position. I think going after a lesser quality goalie than what else is out there just because you can get them on a shorter term, based off the hope that a prospect can take that spot in a few years, is just silly. Go after the best guy available, and if Gillies or Parsons is pushing for the net in 2-3 years you re-evaluate from there.

For the sake of arguement, say Gillies is ready to be a full time starter in 2 years but you still have Bishop signed for another 3. So what? You try and move one of them. Gillies would still be an RFA so it's not like you'd worry about him walking away to find a crease to play in. Having a younger goalie pushing a veteran vezina nominee out of the crease would be an absolutely fantastic problem to have, don't shoot yourself in the foot now trying to avoid it

Last edited by btimbit; 04-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #107
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Goalies are only as good as their last game. Only a few weeks ago people were calling for the Flames to back up the Brinks truck for Elliot.

One or two year deal max. And then a multi year extension if he works out. If the Flames handcuff themselves to another C+ goalie long term it could be the worst move they have ever made.

Myself, I'd like to see the Flames go for one of the younger guys. Talbot, Jones or Andersson type. Even if the cost is the 2017 1st.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #108
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The goalie I want as our starter next year is the starter for the 2018 Stanley Cup Champions. I'm not fussy about how he spells his name.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #109
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Darling-Grubauer tandem. Let 'em fight it out for true #1

Take a chance on two backups for a 2-3 yr contract, and hope at least one becomes a starter.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #110
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Tyler F'ing Parsons. This guy has done nothing but show he's a beast in everything he's done the past few years. I don't need years upon years of seasoning in the minors, where the likelihood of something derailing his progress his high, if history has taught us anything. He's a fantastic goalie, throw him in there, give him a chance and see how he does. If (when) he excels, he takes this team to the level of a true contender on an ELC. Stop burning the most affordable years on the AHL.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #111
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bishop will be too expensive in AAV and term. Fleury should be reasonable to acquire given that the Pens have to move him or lose Murray. And the term is about right with respect to the development of the prospects in our system. Hopefully, Gillies can back him up next two years (not something I would want to try if we picked up Darling), and in two years, Parsons could be ready to make the jump to the main club.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #112
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Of the guys on the list, it's easily Raanta.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #113
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
I'd take a 2nd rounder for Gillies in a second. Take a look at the list of goalies in the poll, you can get Vezina nominees, Stanley Cup winners and proven NHL goalies for free or very close to free. Goalies are cheap to acquire most years, and this year because of the expansion rules, they're cheaper than ever before.

I think you're extremely overvaluing the cost of goalies this year.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #114
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who do you WANT the Flames Starting Goalie To Be Next Season

Don't cheap out on the goaltending position. Trying to fix the problem with budget-conscious solutions gets you bottom to middle of the pack goaltending - which is what we had last season and cost us dearly.

I just don't understand the desire here for a guy Darling. What are you hoping for in that position? For him to beat the odds and be a Tim Thomas level goalie? What's your end game, what's your hope? Whatever it is, it's incredibly unlikely.

To watch our season go up in flames the way it did...to watch Dallas go down the way they did, or how about watching Philly struggle for so many years...there's a lesson to be had here. Don't cheap out on the goalie position, you can't win anything worthwhile without it.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #115
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
What do you think Gillies is worth, and how do you arrive at that value?

The fact of the matter is that goalies just do not command much in return when they are traded. That is a FACT.

Based on recent transactions I don't see Gillies garnering more than a third round pick in a trade—he might return a second, but I would be surprised.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #116
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Tyler F'ing Parsons. This guy has done nothing but show he's a beast in everything he's done the past few years. I don't need years upon years of seasoning in the minors, where the likelihood of something derailing his progress his high, if history has taught us anything. He's a fantastic goalie, throw him in there, give him a chance and see how he does. If (when) he excels, he takes this team to the level of a true contender on an ELC. Stop burning the most affordable years on the AHL.
The vast majority of successful, big game NHL goalies end up spending a year or two starting games in the AHL before ever seeing time in the Big League. Why would Parsons warrant an exception?

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #117
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The vast majority of successful, big game NHL goalies end up spending a year or two starting games in the AHL before ever seeing time in the Big League. Why would Parsons warrant an exception?
Because he is incredible.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #118
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Most do that because teams already have a goalie under contract. I'm not opposed to it either way, just a strong believer in giving him a legit shot. If he comes into camp and outplays the competition, don't be afraid to roll with him. Same goes for any of the other guys, but I'm just a big fan of Parsons' style.

I'd hate to see them go "big game hunting" without looking at what they already have. I'm hoping the Murray example is one that entices teams to start looking at younger guys for the position. The league has really trended younger and younger, but goalie's continue to be the outlier that regard.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #119
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I wonder how the Flames see Elliott. Obviously a lot of the fan base wouldn't like it but he may come cheaper if he's moved here and doesn't want to move again right away. I wouldn't mind a 1 year show me contract on the cheap. Depends on what other offers he gets.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #120
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Just know that what I'm about to say next doesn't reflect the amount of respect I have for you as a poster.

This is a terrible ####ing idea.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread