Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #101
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole everything will be more expensive drives me nuts.

It's not like the money goes up in smoke. Alberta has been significantly under taxed for the level of service we are provided due to a strong commodity. Given this situation no longer exists tax increases were necessary.

We just need to cut expenditures now and we will be on the right track. When we boot Notley at the end of 2019 the new government will have a nice revenue source to balance the budget with after some significant cuts are taken.

The golden goose is gone, Shale oil caps the long term price. We need to get used to being a province with billions less dollars going through it. Increased taxation is one of these consequences.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #102
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post

https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx

Hey, I googled that for you.

"$6.2 billion will help diversify our energy industry and create new jobs:

$3.4 billion for large scale renewable energy, bioenergy and technology
$2.2 billion for green infrastructure like public transit
$645 million for Energy Efficiency Alberta, a new provincial agency that will support energy efficiency programs and services for homes and businesses"

But hey instead of using the internet for a second why not take an easy way out and do a lazy drive by instead?
Well it was someone else who requested you expand on your position before you balked, but thanks for that extremely specific breakdown on how the provincial govt plans to spend their newfound tax revenue.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #103
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Notley bucks will be direct deposited or in cheques as early as this thursday.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/new-carbon...ects-1.3224947
Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #104
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Well it was someone else who requested you expand on your position before you balked, but thanks for that extremely specific breakdown on how the provincial govt plans to spend their newfound tax revenue.
Ya and you made your ####ty little drive by remark because you're either 1) too lazy to use the googles or 2) think the Notley government is lying and will spend the money to balance the budget or whatever. Either way that's up to you.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #105
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
"$6.2 billion will help diversify our energy industry and create new jobs:

$3.4 billion for large scale renewable energy, bioenergy and technology
$2.2 billion for green infrastructure like public transit
$645 million for Energy Efficiency Alberta, a new provincial agency that will support energy efficiency programs and services for homes and businesses"
Tells us almost nothing a bunch of buzzwords and vagaries.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #106
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
1) that's not what you think the word "vagaries" means
2) do you want me to call up my member of MLA and do some hard research for you?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #107
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This whole everything will be more expensive drives me nuts.

It's not like the money goes up in smoke. Alberta has been significantly under taxed for the level of service we are provided due to a strong commodity. Given this situation no longer exists tax increases were necessary.

We just need to cut expenditures now and we will be on the right track. When we boot Notley at the end of 2019 the new government will have a nice revenue source to balance the budget with after some significant cuts are taken.

The golden goose is gone, Shale oil caps the long term price. We need to get used to being a province with billions less dollars going through it. Increased taxation is one of these consequences.
Sure, but a new provincial agency for energy efficiency, and tax rebayes for the new tax aren't exactly necessary spending that we would be doing anyway.

I also think lathe scale renewable spending shouldn't be a govt priority in times of huge deficit

Last edited by bizaro86; 01-02-2017 at 07:17 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #108
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Sure, but a new provincial agency for energy efficiency, and tax rebayes for the new tax aren't exactly necessary spending that we would be doing anyway
I'm taking he long view that this is necessary step to getting Alberta
Back on track.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #109
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ya and you made your ####ty little drive by remark because you're either 1) too lazy to use the googles or 2) think the Notley government is lying and will spend the money to balance the budget or whatever. Either way that's up to you.
Or...

3) Pointing out how one of the carbon taxes loudest proponents in this thread has zero knowledge of what it is they are regurgitating other than what they can glean off the govt website, and becomes irritable at anyone having the audacity to call them out for it.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #110
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Or...

3) Pointing out how one of the carbon taxes loudest proponents in this thread have zero knowledge of what it is they are regurgitating other than what they can glean off the govt website, and becomes irritable at anyone having the audacity to call them out for it.
I would try and debate this further but it appears you have no interest in serious discussion. I firmly believe there's nothing that can be written to change your mind. Or Zamlers.

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-02-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #111
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
1) that's not what you think the word "vagaries" means
You're right I don't.
Quote:
2) do you want me to call up my member of MLA and do some hard research for you?
Okay. I'm sure all the details are hammed out they have just not bothered to share.
Quote:
I would try and debate this further but it appears you have no interest in serious discussion. I firmly believe there's nothing that can be written to change your mind. Or Zamlers.
Funny how you've already made up your mind (green tax good) without any details at all, but when others ask actual questions you get angry. Why is that?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #112
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fixed that for ya.

Well at least you will be here to proof read posts.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #113
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right I don't.
Okay. I'm sure all the details are hammed out they have just not bothered to share.

Funny how you've already made up your mind (green tax good) without any details at all, but when others ask actual questions you get angry. Why is that?
Yes, I have made up my mind that a carbon tax is good. Have I made up THIS carbon tax is good? Not yet but I'm going to assume so until proven otherwise. If the AB government spends money raised by this tax to turn our province into a leader of green energy, I'm totally fine with it.

If they use the tax dollars in the general budget that will be a gross misuse of the funds and I would be very displeased with it.

What's wrong with that?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #114
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I have made up my mind that a carbon tax is good. Have I made up THIS carbon tax is good? Not yet but I'm going to assume so until proven otherwise. If the AB government spends money raised by this tax to turn our province into a leader of green energy, I'm totally fine with it.

If they use the tax dollars in the general budget that will be a gross misuse of the funds and I would be very displeased with it.

What's wrong with that?
Because only the almighty invisible hand can tell us what humans should be doing with their resources. It's a law of nature.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #115
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What's wrong with that?
I don't get this concept. The Carbon tax should be treated as any other revenue. It is not special.

If it makes economic sense to invest in green energy then we should do it regardless of the presence of a carbon tax or not. Governments should set their expenditures prudently based on the provinces needs them use various tax measures to garner enough revenue.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #116
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't get this concept. The Carbon tax should be treated as any other revenue. It is not special.

If it makes economic sense to invest in green energy then we should do it regardless of the presence of a carbon tax or not. Governments should set their expenditures prudently based on the provinces needs them use various tax measures to garner enough revenue.
Isn't that exactly what's happening here?

You may not agree with the needs, or the measures, but that is what is happening, no?

The province needs diversification, both in energy generation and industry. Those happen to be the same thing here. They are using a tax measure to garner enough revenue to attempt to jump start those needs.

I agree with most that there is very poor timing and some idealism over pragmatism taking place in the short term here. By doing that they could end up creating lag effects that drag the recession longer than it may otherwise be once oil booms again if they had just waited for that to happen again.

Maybe none of this will happen and Alberta will become the soviet wasteland everyone seems to fear/hope for here.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #117
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is special though and it isn't treated like any other tax revenue...at least for the first five years. So the whole bit about needing more tax revenue to off set out lower oil royalties still hasn't been addressed.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #118
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Isn't that exactly what's happening here?

You may not agree with the needs, or the measures, but that is what is happening, no?

The province needs diversification, both in energy generation and industry. Those happen to be the same thing here. They are using a tax measure to garner enough revenue to attempt to jump start those needs.

I agree with most that there is very poor timing and some idealism over pragmatism taking place in the short term here. By doing that they could end up creating lag effects that drag the recession longer than it may otherwise be once oil booms again if they had just waited for that to happen again.

Maybe none of this will happen and Alberta will become the soviet wasteland everyone seems to fear/hope for here.
It might be, I am disagreeing with the premise that a good implementation of a carbon tax would only be spent on diversification. It might be prudent right now to spend on diversification but the concept of dedicated taxes to specific purposes is flawed.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #119
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seems to give you some clear dollar figures that you as a voter could use to hold them accountable for what you would consider poor management of tax dollars if you aren't happy with how they spend it.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #120
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What's wrong with that?
I completely disagree with this. The carbon tax money should be spent on whatever the highest-needs area is. If the biggest priority for AB gov't spending is public transit infrastructure, spend it on that. If its new schools, or more health funding, or plugging the ozone-hole sized deficit, then spend it on that.

Having dedicated funds go to a specific purpose is foolish. It literally can't be any better than spending it on the most needed item, by definition. If that happens to be the most needed item now, then great, tell people that, and if that changes in the future then its easier to switch.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote