Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 10:27 AM   #101
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'll also admit to being one of the original skeptics to some of the CP inside stuff, but I stepped back as I understand it's fun for people and there's no value in continually bringing it up. Sec214's stuff has clearly been very on point the past couple months, there's no real skepticism against what he provides on my part.
Appreciate it.

Can't believe how hard it is to get that simple point across.

I'm good with being skeptical if it's kept to the content and not to the person itself.

"Not sure I by that given ..." ALL GOOD

"Seclund"
"Insiderrrr" mocking
"Fake News"

NOT GOOD
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #102
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Fine, I'll edit it for you.
No idea what you're talking about.

You're not a fan, I get it. Put me on ignore and live a happier life.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:29 AM   #103
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No idea what you're talking about.

You're not a fan, I get it. Put me on ignore and live a happier life.
As site owner you should be in the know that that's not possible. You can put me on ignore though and live a happier life.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:30 AM   #104
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everyone should step away for a few minutes and realize the points they’re arguing isn’t life changing or worth getting their blood pressure up. Life is short. No need to win or lose needless arguments (I do the same these days every now and then fwiw).
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:34 AM   #105
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
As someone who followed and fell for the Ohtani to the Jays rumours, I'll take any potential inside info I can. It's entertainment. If it's right, great, if it's not, I enjoyed the ride (just like Ohtani's plane ride from LA to Toronto)

People should actually be glad that these so called insiders never hit on anything (other than Rasta). Or if there is something that hits once in a blue moon it's negated by 50 other posts that completely miss the mark. If they were right regularly it would just mean the Flames front office is the leakiest FO in the league. That would be really bad for Conroy and the organization.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:36 AM   #106
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
As site owner you should be in the know that that's not possible. You can put me on ignore though and live a happier life.
Damn forgot.

When you get along with 96% of the people that visit the site in 25 years it just don't come up.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:37 AM   #107
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Unless I'm misremembering I don't think sureloss is an insider as much as mindblowingly fast at posting info as it drops to the public. Which is a huge net positive for the board, as it means we can just browse here on big days like draft day/trade deadline etc.

RastaMasta is definitely the biggest insider we have here, he must know someone very close to the action as he'll just simply post things like "Backlund signing for two years at $4.5mil AAV, probably tomorrow".
Not sure what Sureloss is, but they're awesome for the site regardless.
I do find they often post the specifics of a deal or a deal itself faster than even the usual NHL media insiders, which is why I suspect it's more than just quickly sharing the info.
Watch on trade deadline day and you'll see them post something, followers by TSN/Sportsnet a couple minutes later so they at least have some crazy fast reporting source.

Agreed on Rasta; who's also another poster who does it without looking for validation. Much appreciated.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:18 AM   #108
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t know if being 99% full of the worst trade proposals you’ve ever seen is what most adults would call a thread’s “former glory.”
I completely agree.

The rumour thread should be for discussing actual rumours from CP's insiders or the general media. People posting their own fantasy proposals really isn't that interesting or relevant.

May as well have a thread for fantasy trade ideas or CapFriendly rosters.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:24 AM   #109
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I completely agree.

The rumour thread should be for discussing actual rumours from CP's insiders or the general media. People posting their own fantasy proposals really isn't that interesting or relevant.

May as well have a thread for fantasy trade ideas or CapFriendly rosters.
We've brought this up in the past, but isn't that what the "speculation" part of the thread title is about?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:54 AM   #110
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
We've brought this up in the past, but isn't that what the "speculation" part of the thread title is about?
We really should have like a “2023-2024 Season Discussion Thread”, because that’s what the trade and spec thread basically becomes every year.

That way, the trade thread would fall off and only get bumped when something “legitimate” comes along.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:17 PM   #111
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most important post - my opinion - some of the 'insiders' like attention and irritated me during the Gaudreau thing because I was emotionally bought into that one and they clearly didn't have any proper info.

But I assume everyone here is old and internet savvy enough to determine who they want to trust and who they just want to use for fun rumours or to just ignore.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #112
Skeptical
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Appreciate it.

Can't believe how hard it is to get that simple point across.

I'm good with being skeptical if it's kept to the content and not to the person itself.

"Not sure I by that given ..." ALL GOOD

"Seclund"
"Insiderrrr" mocking
"Fake News"

NOT GOOD

Umm...Have I been traded??
Skeptical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skeptical For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:39 PM   #113
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Markstrom talks ramping up again, I think any "seklund" comments should warrant the sin bin.

We haven't heard much from our insiders... I suspect it's because they're sick and tired of it.

AC came out today and explained that he stopped making videos for similar reasons.

These posters have had ample warning and explanation for why it's poor form and every opportunity to put the insiders on ignore. It's really the only deterrent left.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:45 PM   #114
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
With Markstrom talks ramping up again, I think any "seklund" comments should warrant the sin bin.

We haven't heard much from our insiders... I suspect it's because they're sick and tired of it.

AC came out today and explained that he stopped making videos for similar reasons.

These posters have had ample warning and explanation for why it's poor form and every opportunity to put the insiders on ignore. It's really the only deterrent left.
Couldnt agree more!
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:47 PM   #115
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't disagree less!
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:56 PM   #116
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Just to clarify, posters here were never too negative. I'd get the odd "why'd you make this?" comment on a player they didn't like, or ultimately no response at all as time went on and people lost interest in the team to some degree.

But the overall fanbase seemed to turn toxic as the Gaudreau core failed to win, so YouTube comments got uglier and more discouraging, and then that Robert Munnich guy from FlamesNation just started ripping my videos and reuploading them or sharing clips as his own while preemptively blocking me so maybe I wouldn't see them I guess?

The last straw was really just YouTube cracking down on copyright claims ultimately. My last video was of Mangi's Team Canada MVP performance and it got blocked immediately and flagged throughout after probably 20 hours of work for nothing.

If the team ever wins or at least goes on another deep run maybe I'll try again.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:57 PM   #117
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I like the insiders on the site and find it entertaining when they do post. The seclund comment is so tame though. It’s good old fashioned internet teasing. If someone made fun of my username I wouldn’t mind. Other views have to be brought into the fold. As long as it’s not personal I don’t think these small critiques should be taken terribly.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:58 PM   #118
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any personal or ad hominem attacks should be met with the ban hammer, but as Cliff mentioned earlier, there are plenty of examples of pretty bad behaviour that goes unpunished.

I disagree with pretty much anything Hackey posts, and I suppose the seclund comment might cross a line, but honestly, is it any worse than the Anchorman “I don’t believe you” gif? I double checked when he said it, and it was in response to a Sec gif. Not really a personal attack and not really an attack on the source, since Sec didn’t say anything falsifiable. It seems like a whole bunch of nothing to me.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:01 PM   #119
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having whole videos pulled would be pretty demoralizing.

Frankly, youtube has become over-moderated. And creators are demonetized for practically nothing these days.

Involving IIHF footage can be tricky though. Olympics and world championships in particular are extremely rigid with copyrights.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:02 PM   #120
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just to clarify, posters here were never too negative. I'd get the odd "why'd you make this?" comment on a player they didn't like, or ultimately no response at all as time went on and people lost interest in the team to some degree.

But the overall fanbase seemed to turn toxic as the Gaudreau core failed to win, so YouTube comments got uglier and more discouraging, and then that Robert Munnich guy from FlamesNation just started ripping my videos and reuploading them or sharing clips as his own while preemptively blocking me so maybe I wouldn't see them I guess?

The last straw was really just YouTube cracking down on copyright claims ultimately. My last video was of Mangi's Team Canada MVP performance and it got blocked immediately and flagged throughout after probably 20 hours of work for nothing.

If the team ever wins or at least goes on another deep run maybe I'll try again.
It's too bad, your videos were awesome.
As for the insiders, aren't they vetted by mods? That was always my understanding.