Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 08:18 AM   #101
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We don’t want the Flames to give up. We want Ingram to seal the post.
I totally get that, I'm also cheering for other bottom feeder clubs to catch or pass us. I was more just responding to the one poster saying it's embarrassing that the club is winning these meaningless games, like it's an embarrassment to see players not give up. You can't expect players to not care and just mail it in. All you can do is hope the other team does better in a competitive game. If Flames win or lose, so be it. But I do not want to see the players just quit.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:18 AM   #102
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
They won a 6-5 game where two goals were scored by their most notable 1st round picks.

Again, short of pulling the goalie, what do you want them to do?
Oh, I don't know. Send their tanking goons to rough up all the goal scorers and players who actually care about finishing off the year well. Maybe protest at the Dome. Perhaps start an e-mail campaign whining and crying about the clouds.

Honestly, some of you are pretty embarrassing. I don't like this season either. Every game day has turned into a bitchfest about the team, management and players from a lot of you.

Right now, it won't matter what the team does because there will be someone here that knows more than anyone and will berate posters that try to have a different opinion.

Me, I will enjoy the last couple of games and see where it goes. I have no desire to argue about things over which none of us have any control.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 08:21 AM   #103
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Not a single person has legitimately suggested the players should give up. You made that up.

But that doesn’t mean fans can’t be a bit miffed when they win a pointless game against a team they’re fighting for draft positioning with. I’m not about to pretend I’m happy they won because frankly, I’m not.

You can both want them to lose and want the players to play hard at the same time. And if you feel you can claim some moral superiority over me because I’d rather they lose at this point be my guest.
Really? Because I interpret the below quote differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
Booooooo. This team sucks so hard they can’t even lose when it helps. Can’t win when it’s needed. Terrible franchise stuck in mediocrity until the end of time. Unbelievable. Embarrassing.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:47 AM   #104
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I don't get about the "tank" is that people are so suddenly concerned with the prospect of finishing in the 6th spot vs the 8th or whatever it ends up being. None of this is franchise altering and will be extremely miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Go ahead and be upset that the team didn't tank harder in December, when it could have made more of a difference and had the team comfortably in the top 4-5 of the draft. This is just splitting hairs over next to nothing now. The team should get a pretty high end prospect that will play in the NHL out of it's forthcoming top 10 pick and that is a huge plus for a team that is in need of a few more elite players.

I don't want the team to simply roll over and play the wet noodle like oilers for 10+ years - props to the coaching staff and players for continuing to fight despite the lack of talent.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:50 AM   #105
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Regarding 'the tank', I've concluded that I can't even decide which of the CP Ranked #3-#11 draft prospects that I'd want the most, so why do I really give a damn whether we pick 7th or 9th?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 08:59 AM   #106
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Obviously the team isn't going to quit, just unfortunate that their season closes against teams worse than them for the most part.

I expect a loss to Vancouver and a win against San Jose to finish things off. Draft around 9-10.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:11 AM   #107
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in no hurry, the Flames are almost guaranteed a top 5 pick next season.
This is the second of many many many playoff misses in a row.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:19 AM   #108
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am in no hurry, the Flames are almost guaranteed a top 5 pick next season.
This is the second of many many many playoff misses in a row.
Until we win 5 of 6 at the end of the season to drop to 9th pick.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:20 AM   #109
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The players are supposed to win, or at least try to.

I just really wish they wouldn't right now.

It's kind of funny because I remember earlier in the year they'd be on a bit of a roll and beating some good teams, then they'd play Chicago or San Jose or some bottom dweller and lose.

Now, losing to these teams would be beneficial for draft position, so of course they find a way to win.

Just won 3 out of 4 games when it looked Ike 6th overall before the lottery was possible.
Ah well, nothing you can do about it.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:24 AM   #110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Regarding 'the tank', I've concluded that I can't even decide which of the CP Ranked #3-#11 draft prospects that I'd want the most, so why do I really give a damn whether we pick 7th or 9th?
It's more about what players the team is targeting and as fans we really have no idea. If falling a spot or two back causes them to lose their guy then that's a shame but on the bright side, moving back a spot or two probably increases the chances of them picking Iginla which will make a lot of fans happy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:25 AM   #111
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There simply wasn't enough runway for the Flames to finish in the bottom 5. If there were 10 more games left, then I would bet they would finish 5th. They were dropping like a stone, but too many games against lousy teams to finish off the season. Heck, even the Vancouver game is a bit of wildcard to call since Vancouver might be resting their top guys or guys with some nagging minor injury.

Next season - unless Conroy injects a lot of talent into the roster - I have the Flames finishing comfortably in the bottom 5. The more I look at it, the more I have trouble making a logical argument against it. I am curious to see what Conroy does this off-season, but as of now, I do have them probably in the bottom 3.

Just ride out the rest of this season and enjoy it. It is still entertainment, and by July you will miss not watching them (well, I will miss them playing by then for sure anyway, regardless of how good or not the team is).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:29 AM   #112
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Until we win 5 of 6 at the end of the season to drop to 9th pick.
The Flames record since the trade deadline is 6-12-0 that's a 0.333~ win rate.

If they keep that pace for next season, they are only going to win 27 games. and there is a good chance that will happen.

They are not going to make any significant additions, the odds are that they trade Mangiapane, Kuzenmenko and Markstom before the season is over.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 09:41 AM   #113
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah this is going to be a multi-year tank process, whether they pick 5th or 8th this year almost certainly will not make a difference in the long run. And they still have to find the right guy which will be judged years later.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:42 AM   #114
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Coyotes just found out that those that will be around next year will have to uproot themselves and move to a new location that really doesn't sound that fun for a young millionaire. They had their "show of pride" win over the Oilers after getting the news and now they probably just feel drained. Not to mention they have been below us in the standings for quite a while now.
And yet people expect the flames to try and find a way to play below that?

I could just picture Huska walking into the room and saying "Let's go out there and show these idiots in the stands that they wasted their money!"
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 09:55 AM   #115
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You might not of but I sure hope the flames scouts have determined a preferred hierarchy and I hate to leave them with whose available rather than who they'd prefer.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:57 AM   #116
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully theres not a whole lot separating the players where we are picking. Just gotta hit.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:57 AM   #117
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Not a single person has legitimately suggested the players should give up. You made that up.

But that doesn’t mean fans can’t be a bit miffed when they win a pointless game against a team they’re fighting for draft positioning with. I’m not about to pretend I’m happy they won because frankly, I’m not.

You can both want them to lose and want the players to play hard at the same time. And if you feel you can claim some moral superiority over me because I’d rather they lose at this point be my guest.
Some form of the 'Gold Race' that McCurdy always talks about, and I believe the women's professional league is using(gold plan?). Incentivise winning.
Not sure exactly how to implement it but I'm all for it.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:00 AM   #118
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Thankfully theres not a whole lot separating the players where we are picking. Just gotta hit.
Yes, and we can cheer for the swing and misses that happen before the Flames pick.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:05 AM   #119
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Exactly. There should be 2-3 very good F prospects and possible 2 very good D prospects to choose from, which are all far better players than anyone the team has drafted since taking Tkachuk in 2016.

No offense to Pelletier, Coronato and Zary but these players will be on an entirely different level and it really doesn't matter a whole lot where the team drafts 6-10 as it doesn't sound like there will be a substantial difference in talent.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM   #120
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s more about the odds of winning the lottery.

But as we’re seeing, it’s really hard to break into the bottom echelon in this league. Not only are the teams really bad, but once they’re eliminated from playoff contention they typically play even worse.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote