Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2023, 04:06 PM   #11681
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I'm sure those cities could really use weapons and equipment. Lets pave highways with javelins.
Hey, the road I take to work looks like was paved with Javelins and I live in Canada.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:11 PM   #11682
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we went from Wagner marching on Moscow to Wagner group being absorbed into the regular Russian army and Prigozhin being expelled to Belarus?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:24 PM   #11683
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
So we went from Wagner marching on Moscow to Wagner group being absorbed into the regular Russian army and Prigozhin being expelled to Belarus?
It's not new but social media and even media in general is slanted to whatever side they're based out of so it's hard to say what was happening the last couple of days. From the tweets shared here last night, it was looking like they were marching into Russia, Putin was going to flee, but it's actually ended up with Wagner falling back and Putin staying where he is.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #11684
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty disappointing final outcome, but I still think the events will be damaging to morale and may inspires future mutinies. The final outcome wasn't nearly as bad for Russia as it could have been, but the fact anything like that even happened certainly isn't good for them.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:40 PM   #11685
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

So, do Muscovites still get Monday off?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:54 PM   #11686
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went back to this live stream of St. Petersburg to see what the activity was like tonight. Quite a bit quieter but there's a pretty impressive fireworks and light show that begins at 12:40:40AM local time.

D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:25 PM   #11687
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Yoho tweeting out AI generated pfp GRU conspiracy accounts.

Of course Putin is actually the genius here having his caterer make a mad dash on the capital with a mercenary army.

What won't you believe is now the ultimate question.
Putin is such a massive piece of ####. If there is anyone on earth that deserves to die it is him. How can we convince him to do a Titanic tour?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:37 PM   #11688
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Pretty disappointing final outcome, but I still think the events will be damaging to morale and may inspires future mutinies. The final outcome wasn't nearly as bad for Russia as it could have been, but the fact anything like that even happened certainly isn't good for them.
I think avoiding a civil war in a state with thousands of nuclear weapons is a good result. Civil war in Russia would be a blood bath, but it would give people like you a hard on
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:48 PM   #11689
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
I think avoiding a civil war in a state with thousands of nuclear weapons is a good result. Civil war in Russia would be a blood bath, but it would give people like you a hard on
This is just going from bad to worse.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-24-2023, 06:15 PM   #11690
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

When does Prighozin die? I’ll take July 15th,
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 06:36 PM   #11691
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
When does Prighozin die? I’ll take July 15th,
We should start a pool.

What is the 'window situation' like where he's staying?

How much Polonium do they have left kicking around? Whats the weather forecast like? Any rain upcoming?

Old 06-24-2023, 08:49 PM   #11692
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Honestly, you have to wonder what assurance he could possibly have been given that would satisfy him that he wasn't just going to be offed in a matter of time.

I also can't imagine how his army of psychopaths is going to do anything but desert Wagner now. And if all this whole shenanigans amount to is the end of Wagner fighting in Ukraine, it's still a significant gain and turn of events. Hopefully it also speeds along Putin's demise now that his air of invincibility has been weakened.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 10:20 PM   #11693
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
There's a clinical term for having a mental break from reality, but I hesitate to use it as it's possible this guy is just an utter fool. Even if Putin instigated a fake coup against himself, which is unlikely, it wouldn't be some masterstroke of strategy. It would be an admission he feels threatened, that he believes the war cannot be brought to a successful conclusion, and that he is looking desperately for an exit strategy that doesn't involve him hanging from a lamppost.

Much more likely is that Russia is about to implode and this is the time where all the players jockey for advantage. Authoritarian regimes that lose their monopoly on violence don't last long.
Old 06-24-2023, 10:37 PM   #11694
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Honestly, you have to wonder what assurance he could possibly have been given that would satisfy him that he wasn't just going to be offed in a matter of time.

I also can't imagine how his army of psychopaths is going to do anything but desert Wagner now. And if all this whole shenanigans amount to is the end of Wagner fighting in Ukraine, it's still a significant gain and turn of events. Hopefully it also speeds along Putin's demise now that his air of invincibility has been weakened.
Perhaps he had decided that if he turned over his army he was going to die. Then he does his rebellion but didn’t get enough military support within Moscow to believe he could win so if he carried through he would die. That’s the only way I can see his plan to escape increasing his likelyhood of not dying.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 11:29 PM   #11695
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We should start a pool.

What is the 'window situation' like where he's staying?

How much Polonium do they have left kicking around? Whats the weather forecast like? Any rain upcoming?
Windows and polonium would be what people expect. Prighozin checking out by sledgehammer seems fitting.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 11:53 PM   #11696
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Windows and polonium would be what people expect. Prighozin checking out by sledgehammer seems fitting.
Either that or an actual pool.

Like...someone holds his head under water until the bubbles stop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 12:29 AM   #11697
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If Putin actually wanted Prighozin dead, he would be. The fact he cant be killed shows sadly how popular he is with the Russian people.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 12:41 AM   #11698
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The most interesting suggestion I have heard this far is that Prigozhin will succeed Lukashenko as leader of Belarus.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 03:55 AM   #11699
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
there's a clinical term for having a mental break from reality, but i hesitate to use it as it's possible this guy is just an utter fool. Even if putin instigated a fake coup against himself, which is unlikely, it wouldn't be some masterstroke of strategy. It would be an admission he feels threatened, that he believes the war cannot be brought to a successful conclusion, and that he is looking desperately for an exit strategy that doesn't involve him hanging from a lamppost.

Much more likely is that russia is about to implode and this is the time where all the players jockey for advantage. Authoritarian regimes that lose their monopoly on violence don't last long.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1672841786019172352
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 05:08 AM   #11700
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
The most interesting suggestion I have heard this far is that Prigozhin will succeed Lukashenko as leader of Belarus.
Interesting. Firms up the leadership in Belarus ensuring alignment with Russia in that region?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks