Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 10:21 AM   #1141
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
There was 5 weeks of potential bidding.
Yeah but you can wait more and hope the bids go up closer to TDL

That’s why Hanifin hasn’t been traded and he was available since last summer
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:27 AM   #1142
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ceci + 1st would be a terrible offer.

According to this site the value of taking on Ceci for the rest of this year and next year is a 2nd round pick (around 37th OV)

https://puckpedia.com/CapRelief

So that means if all you're getting is a 1st + Ceci you're actually barely getting a return for Tanev.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:31 AM   #1143
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

According to this site the value of taking on Ceci for the rest of this year and next year is a 2nd round pick (around 37th OV)

So that means if all you're getting is a 1st + Ceci you're actually barely getting a return for Tanev.
Yes. But!

Edmonton 1st round picks are basically Magic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:43 AM   #1144
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I read Ceci and Oilers 1st as a speculated offer. Holland trying to shed a contract with term. Also saw speculation with Colorado 1st plus Johansen too. Seems like the Flames may be putting a premium on taking on money for next year. So they likely got a bit extra from Vancouver for eating Kuzmenko.
I wonder if we could revisit a trade with the Avs. Definitely worth considering. Johansen isn’t a bad add for one season if you can find a way to pry a 1st out of them.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:54 AM   #1145
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Maybe already brought up but it'd be fun to know what Vancouver was going to add to the Lindholm deal when it was thought Tanev might be involved. Calgary decided not to do it as they thought they could get a 1st for Tanev. That didn't happen, so I'd be curious to know what could have been there.
VAN was still in the discussions for Tanev, so whatever they were offering was still on the table, and didn't win the Flames' affections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Is Ceci any good? I remember his Ottawa days were mediocre. The Edmonton 1st is attractive. Wouldn’t mind dealing Hanifin there for that plus. Edmonton has the top end but not much. Can’t see them going deep.
EDM is willing to give up a 1st to upgrade from Ceci to Tanev. And the Flames weren't interested in that (despite the fact that EDM's pick could be a fair bit better than some others). So that should tell you all you need to know.

As for a Hanifin package? If a package for Hanifin started with their 1st and Ceci, it would have to include Holloway, Broberg and another pick.

Ceci is a cap dump.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:49 AM   #1146
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the 32 thoughts podcast today Friedman said he believes the Flames took a last crack at signing Tanev recently but couldn't reach a deal.

I appreciate Tanev forcing our hand.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:55 AM   #1147
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/AHLWranglers/sta...37650819625247
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:16 PM   #1148
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t put much stock in sites like that. Actual trades which are cap dumps in exchange for draft picks aren’t plentiful enough to be able to determine market value. It’s simply not a very liquid market.

The Flames did pay a first to unload Monahan but that may not set the market for all future deals, particularly in a rising cap environment and in a world where GM’s eventually start managing their cap better.

Now the Flames hopefully will be able to do better than that theoretical return for Ceci, which would be great. They also might not get anything for their cap space (or they might try to spend it all).
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #1149
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Well to be fair to Ceci. He has to play with Nurse. I'm sure Tanev would struggle going that too. It's a big ask. Rod Langway would struggle in that position.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:35 PM   #1150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t put much stock in sites like that. Actual trades which are cap dumps in exchange for draft picks aren’t plentiful enough to be able to determine market value. It’s simply not a very liquid market.

The Flames did pay a first to unload Monahan but that may not set the market for all future deals, particularly in a rising cap environment and in a world where GM’s eventually start managing their cap better.

Now the Flames hopefully will be able to do better than that theoretical return for Ceci, which would be great. They also might not get anything for their cap space (or they might try to spend it all).
Yes, it's best not to base returns on bad deals from the past, like the Monahan deal or some of the rentals that Toronto did in the past few years (Foligno).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:54 PM   #1151
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

"so and so traded X for a player years ago and it worked out terrible for them so why didn't the Flames just get someone to do that!"
Old 03-01-2024, 01:19 PM   #1152
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Not sure if it was posted already, Jim Nill has high praise for Grushnikov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg5ssxYCYVs
For anyone who hasn't watched it yet, Nill talks about Grushnikov right after the 5:00 mark.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:24 PM   #1153
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
Kid looks good wearing red and white.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:13 PM   #1154
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
For anyone who hasn't watched it yet, Nill talks about Grushnikov right after the 5:00 mark.
For anyone who wants to get right to that 5:03 time frame, here's the link:

Youtube on Jim Nill and Grush

I hope Grush will turn out as what Jim Nills said.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 07:14 AM   #1155
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seeing some people online bashing Conroy for not taking Ceci + first saying that they could turn around and dump Ceci for a third rounder.

Are these people crazy? Ceci is a full on cap dump, nobody is paying for him let alone taking him for free.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 08:17 AM   #1156
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
On the 32 thoughts podcast today Friedman said he believes the Flames took a last crack at signing Tanev recently but couldn't reach a deal.

I appreciate Tanev forcing our hand.
I have heard a deal may already be in place and Tanev chose to go for a playoff run and will be back next year …. Take it for what it is worth !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 10:25 AM   #1157
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Seeing some people online bashing Conroy for not taking Ceci + first saying that they could turn around and dump Ceci for a third rounder.

Are these people crazy? Ceci is a full on cap dump, nobody is paying for him let alone taking him for free.
If he has that kind of value, the Oilers can simply trade him, get the 3rd, open the cap space, then go get the player they want. But they haven't, because he doesn't.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 10:52 AM   #1158
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

What if he’s worth a third or a 4th at the deadline next year though? You could get a pick for Ceci before you get to make the 3rd round pick from the Zadorov trade.

I just don’t think the Ceci cap dump is so bad especially for the Flames who right now have Oesterle in the top 6 and that’s before a Hanifin trade.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:55 AM   #1159
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if this was already posted. I never noticed CapFriendly posts scouting reports. Came across this.

https://www.capfriendly.com/scouting...shnikov-425702
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:13 AM   #1160
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What if he’s worth a third or a 4th at the deadline next year though? You could get a pick for Ceci before you get to make the 3rd round pick from the Zadorov trade.

I just don’t think the Ceci cap dump is so bad especially for the Flames who right now have Oesterle in the top 6 and that’s before a Hanifin trade.
You also have to pay Ceci/use the cap space on him until then. I'm really hoping they take the Montreal side of the Monahan equivalent trade this summer, and I'd like them to have the cap/budget to make that happen.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote