Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2024, 11:34 PM   #1121
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I hadn't seen this back when it was released. But some of the laws in BC (and Canada I guess) are . . . interesting.

That parents in BC need their kids permission to get them into treatment; that the kids can legally block any medical information from reaching their parents. Social workers threatening parents with kidnapping charges if they try to put their kids into rehab without the kids permission. ####, how much trouble is there to get a 12 year old to do their homework and go to school - but you NEED THEIR consent to put them into rehab if they're addicted to drugs (maybe with mental health issues too)?

10:00 to 14:00

"In fact across Canada, a physician's legal advisory group says the legal age of majority has become largely irrelevant when it comes to young people consenting to medical treatment. If the kids are deemed mature enough by their doctors, they can decide to consent to or refuse treatment."

I get the old timey need for an old law for teenage girls to get contraception but turning it into a trap where parents can't do anything but watch their kids inevitably die seems purposefully blind.

forcing anyone into treatment is useless and treatment for kids even when they choose it is all but useless, the recovery rate for under 20's via treatment programs is less than 5%, a far better approach is trying to work out what went wrong in the kids upbringing in the first place, family counselling etc
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 01:14 PM   #1122
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
forcing anyone into treatment is useless and treatment for kids even when they choose it is all but useless, the recovery rate for under 20's via treatment programs is less than 5%, a far better approach is trying to work out what went wrong in the kids upbringing in the first place, family counselling etc
But is that not a key element of the 'Portugal model' that we've been told is perfect?

They're not going to arrest you or send you to jail, but you HAVE to engage in some form of treatment?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:02 AM   #1123
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
But is that not a key element of the 'Portugal model' that we've been told is perfect?

They're not going to arrest you or send you to jail, but you HAVE to engage in some form of treatment?
what works with 25 year olds is a wholly different thing than what works with 15 year olds, the old AA adage that you have to hit rock bottom has some truth, at 15 you are likely not an addict but a party user, your body has near infinite regenerative abilities so you arent 'feeling' your drug use and you arent in jail or sleeping in a tent.

The reality is teenagers are dumb and think they are invincible, they aint giving up the best thing they have ever tried, the thing that makes them feel cool and gets them laid because some 40 year old is telling them they need to find a path to sobriaty
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:37 AM   #1124
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Kim Bolan is a warrior and has been covering the Lower Mainland gang scene for over 15 years (even the Calgary players have appeared in her stories over the years due to the strong ties to the UN in BC), never backing down from reporting stories in an obviously dangerous world to be reporting on. Her blog on the Sun used to be open to comments which was wild back in the day, before they closed it up as the participants started to get a little crazy with the comments.

Her new series should be fascinating to read.

https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...bal-drug-trade

https://twitter.com/user/status/1749472403481350399
Links to the really well done 5-part series below which took Kim Bolan to six countries to speak to local law enforcement.

Part 1: B.C. gangsters at the centre of a global drug trade - https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...bal-drug-trade

Part 2: The alleged ‘right hand’ of a crime boss dubbed the Asian El Chapo https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...asian-el-chapo

Part 3: How B.C. gangsters are damaging a tropical paradise https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...pical-paradise

Part 4: UN bosses run their B.C. gang from a Vietnam hideout https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...ietnam-hideout

Part 5: Why Canada is a “global refuge” for Hells Angels, other crime networks https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...crime-networks
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:19 AM   #1125
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Links to the really well done 5-part series below which took Kim Bolan to six countries to speak to local law enforcement.

Part 1: B.C. gangsters at the centre of a global drug trade - https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...bal-drug-trade

Part 2: The alleged ‘right hand’ of a crime boss dubbed the Asian El Chapo https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...asian-el-chapo

Part 3: How B.C. gangsters are damaging a tropical paradise https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...pical-paradise

Part 4: UN bosses run their B.C. gang from a Vietnam hideout https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...ietnam-hideout

Part 5: Why Canada is a “global refuge” for Hells Angels, other crime networks https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...crime-networks
This is great reporting.

Imagine living your life constantly looking over your shoulder for A) best case scenario - the police B) worse case scenario - someone about to kill you.

I don't imagine prison is very fun anywhere, but especially prisons in SE Asia.

As a criminal defence lawyer, drug dealing is never worth it, you always get caught, it's stupid.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:17 AM   #1126
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is a student at UBC that commutes to school from Calgary. He books a round trip ticket 3 or 4 days a week and flies in in the morning and returns in evening. Typically he finds flights in the $120-$150 range return. With most rents being over $2500 he saves money.

I use to joke that I could buy a place in Mexico for $500K and use the leftover $1M to commute. Maybe that is a reality.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:27 AM   #1127
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s a lot of work to avoid having a roommate like most normal people at that stage of their lives.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:30 AM   #1128
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
There is a student at UBC that commutes to school from Calgary. He books a round trip ticket 3 or 4 days a week and flies in in the morning and returns in evening. Typically he finds flights in the $120-$150 range return. With most rents being over $2500 he saves money.

I use to joke that I could buy a place in Mexico for $500K and use the leftover $1M to commute. Maybe that is a reality.
The student only saves money if you consider that they pay zero for accommodations in Calgary.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:32 AM   #1129
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It takes the better part of an hour to get from YVR to UBC on transit...but maybe he takes a 25 minute Uber. That still puts each trip around 3 hours or 6 hours per day assuming he lives fairly close to YYC. And he must live with his parents for free if he thinks its a money saver.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:37 AM   #1130
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

There is plenty of student housing for way cheaper than $2,500. You can still find rooms in student ghetto houses for under $1000. When I was a student the idea of having a single bedroom condo never crossed my mind. I can't possibly see how flying back and forth would save money. Plus you'd have to buy all of your food and have no opportunity to cook at home. I guess you'd have lots of time to study for exams while waiting in airports?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:40 AM   #1131
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, they live with the parents in Calgary, forgot to add that. He was looking at a 1.5hr commute living here so its likely doubled the commute time but he would save a tonne on reading weeks and summer not having to pat rent. I think it all points to the absurdity of rent out here that a potential 6hr commute is worth it. $2500 is probably a dump or a shared one bedroom space.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:48 AM   #1132
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, they live with the parents in Calgary, forgot to add that. He was looking at a 1.5hr commute living here so its likely doubled the commute time but he would save a tonne on reading weeks and summer not having to pat rent. I think it all points to the absurdity of rent out here that a potential 6hr commute is worth it. $2500 is probably a dump or a shared one bedroom space.
You can get a fairly nice one bedroom condo downtown for $2,500. You can get a shared space close to UBC for $1,200 or less.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...46873827845379
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5926162692484/
Old 02-07-2024, 12:50 PM   #1133
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Here's the CTV report on him:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1755094321810796901
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:02 PM   #1134
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I cant even imagine that bastard's Carbon Footprint.

His Granola hippie buddies ought to be beating him to death with their sandals.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 01:05 PM   #1135
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you believe anything on facebook marketplace fill your boots.

Bigtime linked the article. School only two days a week so way cheaper than paying rent year round.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:07 PM   #1136
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assume this is going by 4 days x 4 weeks x $150 average flight = $2,400 a month. He's also not locked into a rental over the summer.

The "over $2,500" part is also probably confusing some. He's not targeting a $2.5K rental in Vancouver calibre living arrangement. He's enjoying a $3K+ living arrangement by going through a crazy commute and going home to his parents in Calgary. I wouldn't be surprised if he bums an overnight here and there at a friend's place in Vancouver though.

I think it's a kinda crazy arrangement, but if it works, I guess it works.

I also assume that he'd easily hit tiers where he'd get easy access to the airport lounges etc. and that's not including other loyalty perks he might hit. Like if somehow he could end up pretty damn close in hitting some type of lifetime platinum membership with an airline like AC/WJ, it could pay off more than just the so called rental savings long term.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:09 PM   #1137
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, good illustration of insane rents I guess. Although if it was me I'd just transfer course credits here instead
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:11 PM   #1138
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a single car household, super energy efficient house, bike to work year round and this little punk has destroyed my efforts. Get him!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 01:21 PM   #1139
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
A bit of a different scenario. He's at the end of his degree, with one term left and only taking 2 classes per week. That might actually be cheaper and more convenient, at around $1200/month, plus not having to deal with moving costs, breaking leases, etc..

A full term of school is 4 months, but that includes reading breaks, holidays, and exam breaks. Probably less than 3 months total of actual class time. He's probably flying there and back about 20-25 times, and if he plans to live in Calgary afterwards, it's not as insane as it seemed.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:24 PM   #1140
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a single car household, super energy efficient house, bike to work year round and this little punk has destroyed my efforts. Get him!
Depends on what flights he's taking. If he's taking flights at undesirable times, that aren't full, then he's really just tagging along on a flight that was going to go ahead no matter what.

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world