Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 11:32 AM   #1101
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
There might be a two-tier justice system in this province, but what you're referring to ain't it.

For the record, I think public consumption of drugs should be treated with the same scrutiny as public consumption of alcohol. That said, there are areas where people can safely and legally consume alcohol (e.g. bars, certain parks, etc.).

The province does not have the same capacity for illicit drug users, especially those who are experiencing homelessness. Where exactly would you like to see these people go to get high if the safe-consumption sites are at capacity or not easily accessible? Arresting those people is essentially arresting them for being unhoused, which would be much closer to the definition of a two-tier justice system.
The proposal was as such:
"The law would allow police to order people to “cease using an illegal substance in a specified area,” or to leave that area.

The places specified in the act include sports fields, beaches or parks, within six metres of building entrances and within 15 metres of a playground, skate park or wading pool."

Not like that leaves no other locations.
I'm not in disagreement with you about more safe injection sites.
Certainly even you can understand having a few areas full of children protected from illicit drug use is a good idea?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:10 PM   #1102
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The proposal was as such:
"The law would allow police to order people to “cease using an illegal substance in a specified area,” or to leave that area.

The places specified in the act include sports fields, beaches or parks, within six metres of building entrances and within 15 metres of a playground, skate park or wading pool."

Not like that leaves no other locations.
Maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough, but the only areas that really leaves is alleyways, right?

6M of building entrances is pretty substantial in a cramped downtown core. Can't confirm all of Vancouver, but in downtown Victoria, that basically pushes people out into the middle of the streets.

Quote:
I'm not in disagreement with you about more safe injection sites.
Certainly even you can understand having a few areas full of children protected from illicit drug use is a good idea?
Again, in an ideal world, the consumption laws would mirror open-carry liquor and marijuana laws. The problem again is that there aren't enough suitable indoor options for people to consume their SoC if it's not weed or liquor.

Obviously the elephant in the room on this issue is homelessness. If we provided housing for people, public substance-consumption becomes way less of an issue and there's growing evidence that people in stable housing tend to find their way to successful treatment options.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 01:06 PM   #1103
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably some guy that works at a glass shop, or somebody that has already been arrested and released.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 02:08 AM   #1104
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Probably some guy that works at a glass shop, or somebody that has already been arrested and released.

Yeah, vandalism is really a BC-specific problem...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...lice-1.4918783

https://calgarycitizen.com/p/communi...den-vandalism/

https://livewirecalgary.com/2021/07/...ndalism-spree/
Old 01-10-2024, 04:20 PM   #1105
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

In good news:

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-...cancer-8086881

Quote:
B.C. launched the country’s first at-home self-screening program for cervical cancer on Tuesday, aiming to eradicate the disease through early detection and to phase out conventional Pap tests.

Starting Jan. 29, anyone who is asymptomatic and age 25 to 69 can order the human papillomavirus (HPV) test kits from B.C. Cancer online or by phone at 1-877-702-6566. Participants can mail in the vaginal swab samples to the lab or drop them off with a health-care provider to get results within four to six weeks.

Those who receive a negative result will be advised to get another routine test in five years — longer than the three-year interval for Pap tests.

A patient who gets a positive result, depending on the HPV type, will be advised to seek further diagnostic testing —a colposcopy or Pap test — through their family practitioner or a designated physician or community clinic if they do not have one.

HPV is believed to cause the majority of cervical cancer, the fourth most common cancer in women globally and among the fastest-increasing cancers for females in Canada. About 200 people in B.C. are diagnosed with cervical cancer each year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 07:56 PM   #1106
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not gonna lie. I mailed mine in and got a rather rude response. Starting with not living in BC and then about being a man and it went downhill from there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:54 PM   #1107
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Not gonna lie. I mailed mine in and got a rather rude response. Starting with not living in BC and then about being a man and it went downhill from there.
With how much of a fan of modern medical science Danielle Smith is, surely you guys will have your own version by 2050.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:57 PM   #1108
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little late in seeing this but wow. Cosplay doctors handing out fentanyl and hardcore drugs for profit. Seems like a good idea.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...pply-1.7052570

'Please let us help': Naturopaths ask for right to prescribe safer drug supply in B.C.

Naturopaths in B.C. are lobbying for the right to prescribe safer supply, saying they want to help address a toxic drug crisis that's killing nearly seven people in the province every day.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:09 PM   #1109
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A little late in seeing this but wow. Cosplay doctors handing out fentanyl and hardcore drugs for profit. Seems like a good idea.

'Please let us help': Naturopaths ask for right to prescribe safer drug supply in B.C.

Naturopaths in B.C. are lobbying for the right to prescribe safer supply, saying they want to help address a toxic drug crisis that's killing nearly seven people in the province every day.
Is Alberta really gonna get on their high-horse about naturopaths given what the UCP have been doing lately on that topic?

EDIT: FWIW, I don't see the BC NDP going for this, but stupider things have happened here.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:32 PM   #1110
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I remember when marijuana shops were still a grey area, and you needed a prescription to buy it. The marijuana shops would have a naturopath on site. You went in, told them you felt anxious, and voila a prescription for a controlled substance.

Giving naturopaths the power to prescribe opioids is not a good idea. There's zero chance the BC government goes for this. The naturopathic college is a voluntary organization with no government oversite. There is a place for naturopathic medicine. Control of opioids is not it. Also, isn't heroin against what they stand for? Shouldn't they be able to cure issues, like addiction, with naturopathic sources?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:04 PM   #1111
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I remember when marijuana shops were still a grey area, and you needed a prescription to buy it. The marijuana shops would have a naturopath on site. You went in, told them you felt anxious, and voila a prescription for a controlled substance.

Giving naturopaths the power to prescribe opioids is not a good idea. There's zero chance the BC government goes for this. The naturopathic college is a voluntary organization with no government oversite. There is a place for naturopathic medicine. Control of opioids is not it. Also, isn't heroin against what they stand for? Shouldn't they be able to cure issues, like addiction, with naturopathic sources?
Yeah, if they want to prescribe mushrooms, DMT, etc., fine. Anything beyond that they can GTFO.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 03:21 PM   #1112
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, if they want to prescribe mushrooms, DMT, etc., fine. Anything beyond that they can GTFO.
Despite all the bad press, opioids have actually become extremely difficult to get in BC. You used to be able to get them anytime you had a cough, now they are very controlled. Allowing naturopaths to prescribe them would be a total 180 from current policy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:26 PM   #1113
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Alberta really gonna get on their high-horse about naturopaths given what the UCP have been doing lately on that topic?

EDIT: FWIW, I don't see the BC NDP going for this, but stupider things have happened here.
Quote:

Quote:
Despite all the bad press, opioids have actually become extremely difficult to get in BC. You used to be able to get them anytime you had a cough, now they are very controlled. Allowing naturopaths to prescribe them would be a total 180 from current policy.
I started looking into what BC is letting them do and it's pretty . . . eye opening? Naturopaths can pretty much prescribe anything a doctor can (just excluding narcotics?) in BC - no ability for them to prescribe in Alberta. Definitely way more lax in BC.

Apparently BC gave them that power back in 2009 after a bunch of lobbying? No idea this was a thing. Wild.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:35 PM   #1114
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently BC gave them that power back in 2009 after a bunch of lobbying? No idea this was a thing. Wild.
The BC Liberals were one of the most corrupt governing parties I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. Give 'em a wad of cash, and you could basically do whatever you wanted.

Needless to say, this doesn't surprise me.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:01 PM   #1115
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The BC Liberals were one of the most corrupt governing parties I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. Give 'em a wad of cash, and you could basically do whatever you wanted.

Danielle Smith says "hold my naturopathic tea".
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:04 PM   #1116
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Danielle Smith says "hold my naturopathic tea".
Government workers...where do they find these people?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:37 AM   #1117
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kim Bolan is a warrior and has been covering the Lower Mainland gang scene for over 15 years (even the Calgary players have appeared in her stories over the years due to the strong ties to the UN in BC), never backing down from reporting stories in an obviously dangerous world to be reporting on. Her blog on the Sun used to be open to comments which was wild back in the day, before they closed it up as the participants started to get a little crazy with the comments.

Her new series should be fascinating to read.

https://vancouversun.com/feature/let...bal-drug-trade

https://twitter.com/user/status/1749472403481350399
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 08:40 PM   #1118
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I started looking into what BC is letting them do and it's pretty . . . eye opening? Naturopaths can pretty much prescribe anything a doctor can (just excluding narcotics?) in BC - no ability for them to prescribe in Alberta. Definitely way more lax in BC.

I've brought it up in this thread already, but man is it dangerous and stupid. Seriously stupid. Shockingly stupid. Dumb. Idiotic. Crazy. Awful. Despicable. Gross
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:30 PM   #1119
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I've brought it up in this thread already, but man is it dangerous and stupid. Seriously stupid. Shockingly stupid. Dumb. Idiotic. Crazy. Awful. Despicable. Gross
I didn't see your post, but I was pretty surprised that this is the state of drug prescription in BC. Were there statistics about the problems stemming from what they are dispensing?

Last edited by chemgear; 01-27-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:58 PM   #1120
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hadn't seen this back when it was released. But some of the laws in BC (and Canada I guess) are . . . interesting.

That parents in BC need their kids permission to get them into treatment; that the kids can legally block any medical information from reaching their parents. Social workers threatening parents with kidnapping charges if they try to put their kids into rehab without the kids permission. ####, how much trouble is there to get a 12 year old to do their homework and go to school - but you NEED THEIR consent to put them into rehab if they're addicted to drugs (maybe with mental health issues too)?

10:00 to 14:00

"In fact across Canada, a physician's legal advisory group says the legal age of majority has become largely irrelevant when it comes to young people consenting to medical treatment. If the kids are deemed mature enough by their doctors, they can decide to consent to or refuse treatment."

I get the old timey need for an old law for teenage girls to get contraception but turning it into a trap where parents can't do anything but watch their kids inevitably die seems purposefully blind.

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world