Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #1081
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I’m not going to change your view or others nor argue about something so god damn irrelevant just to argue with you. There is no point. Q thinks Israel should lay down their weapons and their very peaceful arab neighbors will allow Israel to exist. Delusion
Am I Q? I've never said that Israel should lay down their weapons.

I'm asking what's fundamentally different about one group of people claiming their ancestral/religious homeland vs. another? Do you consider the Jewish claim to Israel as more legitimate than say the Lekwungen-speaking peoples' claims to Vancouver Island?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #1082
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You seem to have missed this part:

Israel already has the status of a LGBTQ haven.

Yes, there is a politician who is opposed to that. I suppose there aren't any politicians in North America or other democracies opposed to LGBTQ rights though? All that shows is that Israel has freedom of religion, speech, and political position. Unfortunately, that also means some people with awful views get to vote and speak, just like here.
“Hey guys, you missed the most important part of the article because you read the article instead of just the headline. Here are two words in the headline that tell the actual story.”

Great stuff.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #1083
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Holy God man.

Nobody is asking Israel to lay down their arms... not me at least. They can have all the arms of the world as well as the arsenal of nukes if they makes them feel safe.

What I'm saying is, seriously set up a 2 state solution. Stop ####ing with the Palestinians and wish peace, prosperity and well being on your neighbour. If some jews want to live in palestine, it's all good. If they want to leave, that's OK too.
We're in agreement then. The two state solution is the only way to proceed. That means states clearly defined for both Jews and Arabs.

At the end of the day both people need to accept that both people are there and not going anywhere. Neither has shown the ability or willingness to fairly govern the other.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #1084
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It’s an ethno-religion. There is no point in trying to explain this to a legitimate idiot like yourself. You do not need to be religious to be a Jew. You also cannot just convert to the religion. It takes years for someone to convert but there is no point in trying to explain this to you.
I've been reading this thread to keep informed on the topic.

While I appreciate the passionate discourse, the Mods have specifically asked to keep it civil. There is no place for this kind of nonsense on this forum. If you can't participate with civility and respect, just leave.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackJack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #1085
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not going to compare situations that are entirely different, in a different part of the world, with an entirely different history. Go bait someone else. I’m done arguing with the Palestinian/Hamas apologists in this thread. Always the victim and never accountable. Why they are in this mess in the first place
It isn't bait, colonialism is a process that is both local and global. There is legitimate value in discussions surrounding settler colonialism.

this is because colonialism is up held through physical and discursive force. Colonialism on Vancouver island and Isreal are brokered through British involvement, these are processes which borrow from one another.

The mechanism that is most revenant is Deterritorialization;
the process by which a social relation, called a territory, has its current organization and context altered, mutated or destroyed.

The arguments that you make about rightful land ownership based on cultural rights are the same discursive forces that impact how colonialism is experienced in Canada as well as in the middle east.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:29 AM   #1086
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Am I Q? I've never said that Israel should lay down their weapons.

I'm asking what's fundamentally different about one group of people claiming their ancestral/religious homeland vs. another? Do you consider the Jewish claim to Israel as more legitimate than say the Lekwungen-speaking peoples' claims to Vancouver Island?
I do not know enough about Indigenous rights or history to comment. I would imagine their right is just as legitimate.

Edit: and for anyone wondering, I have stated previously that Palestinians are just as entitled to land. My issue has always been that the Palestinians have never negotiated in good faith with Israel in my opinion.

Last edited by Beninho; 10-12-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:30 AM   #1087
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do not know enough about Indigenous rights or history to comment. I would imagine their right is just as legitimate.
Okay, cool. That's al I was asking. Cheers.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:33 AM   #1088
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
I've been reading this thread to keep informed on the topic.

While I appreciate the passionate discourse, the Mods have specifically asked to keep it civil. There is no place for this kind of nonsense on this forum. If you can't participate with civility and respect, just leave.
Lol, hes been lambasting Jewish history as “fairy tales” and “stories” comparing Jews a 3,000 year old ethno-religion to mormons. If me calling him an idiot is uncalled for then my bad. I’m not trying to derail this thread
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #1089
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Holy God man.

Nobody is asking Israel to lay down their arms... not me at least. They can have all the arms of the world as well as the arsenal of nukes if they makes them feel safe.

What I'm saying is, seriously set up a 2 state solution. Stop ####ing with the Palestinians and wish peace, prosperity and well being on your neighbour. If some jews want to live in palestine, it's all good. If they want to leave, that's OK too.
Except Abbas and the leaders of the Palestinian Authority have consistently declared in both Arabic and English that there will be no Jews allowed to stay and live in a Palestinian state. So it's not quite OK.

The Israelis did essentially what you describe with Gaza. They left. They took their people and left the buildings, green houses, and farms to the citizens of Gaza and wished them peace and prosperity. Hamas had/has a different wish and since they had the guns and ordinary citizens (and PLO officials) didn't, what Hamas says goes. Hamas usually says things with guns and rockets. Hence blockades, banned items, etc.

Earning trust back on both sides to get to the point you want is going to be extremely difficult.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:40 AM   #1090
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Someone earlier made a post about splitting this into 2 threads

1 - for discussion on the wider issues in Israel, Gaza & West Bank

2 - for actual news on what is happening

Good idea
Do people genuinely use CP as a source of news about global events? Wouldn’t it be easier to just use Google?

These are all far better sources to keep tabs on what’s going on in Israel:

BBC
Guardian
Reuters
DW News
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #1091
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing Goldstein seems to have gotten right, Likud sucks and Israeli's know it

https://twitter.com/user/status/1712440165317124234

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #1092
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
What's the source for that? Because that sounds unbelievable to me. Every statement I've seen from the PA or its leaders is demanding that food and medical supplies be allowed in to Gaza. Here's the Secretary General of the PLO:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1711795746268172312
What you quoted is a tweet regarding current full total blockade, which was established a week ago and which stated goal is to release hostages.

West Bank supported the original blockade, that is in place since 2006. The sources are in this post #995

Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #1093
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Do people genuinely use CP as a source of news about global events? Wouldn’t it be easier to just use Google?

These are all far better sources to keep tabs on what’s going on in Israel:

BBC
Guardian
Reuters
DW News
Do people think that those on either side of this situation will come to an agreeable position through arguing on CP?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #1094
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
What's the source for that? Because that sounds unbelievable to me. Every statement I've seen from the PA or its leaders is demanding that food and medical supplies be allowed in to Gaza. Here's the Secretary General of the PLO:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1711795746268172312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
One thing Goldstein seems to have gotten right, Likud sucks and Israeli's know it

https://twitter.com/user/status/1712440165317124234
Netanyahu is very unpopular, and he was so before this war.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #1095
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Except Abbas and the leaders of the Palestinian Authority have consistently declared in both Arabic and English that there will be no Jews allowed to stay and live in a Palestinian state. So it's not quite OK.

The Israelis did essentially what you describe with Gaza. They left. They took their people and left the buildings, green houses, and farms to the citizens of Gaza and wished them peace and prosperity. Hamas had/has a different wish and since they had the guns and ordinary citizens (and PLO officials) didn't, what Hamas says goes. Hamas usually says things with guns and rockets. Hence blockades, banned items, etc.

Earning trust back on both sides to get to the point you want is going to be extremely difficult.
Eh... Abbas is an 85 year old senile idiot. He's well past his best before date.

He's also a politician that says things for many reasons. Mostly to gain an upper hand in negotiation.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #1096
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Do people think that those on either side of this situation will come to an agreeable position through arguing on CP?
It may shock you, but yes. I know and understand Palestinians better now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #1097
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
What you quoted is a tweet regarding current full total blockade, which was established a week ago and which stated goal is to release hostages.

West Bank supported the original blockade, that is in place since 2006. The sources are in this post #995

Oh, OK. I misunderstood then.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #1098
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If you are willing to go beyond the headlines, I'd say yes.

Israel is open and inclusive enough to have a homophobe politician and yet still hold at least 2 Gay Pride parades (if not 4, I'm not sure if there are parades in Eilat or Haifa).

Is Canada or the US any more or less inclusive because both countries have homophobe politicians (hello Sask.) and yet also have Gay Pride parades and free speech.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #1099
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
It may shock you, but yes. I know and understand Palestinians better now.
That great and kudos

But has it materially changed your viewpoint on the whole situation?

But looking at many posts you might be in the minority

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:47 AM   #1100
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post

Probably worth noting that’s not exactly how that went, as Israeli’s and Palestinians alike destroyed a lot of what was “left” as Israeli’s moved out and constant border closures for vague “security concerns” meant that only 10% of the agricultural exports could get out on any given day, which severely handicapped the industry.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote