Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #1081
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post

Got Forza 5, FIFA 14, NBA 2K14 coming next friday...Xbox ON!.....cant wait to plug my satellite receiver into the box and connect my entire house system.
This pretty much sums up why you have no idea what a good gaming experience is.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #1082
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm telling you...Sony is going to let you guys down over the next few years while with Microsoft...they kept on making Xbox 360 better and better the whole time...not to mention that similar service and the games that Xbox 360 and PS3 shared played BETTER on the Xbox...
The Xbox 360 was easier to develop for but that advantage is now gone. The Platforms are starting on equal ground this time and early on it looks like the PS4 may have the advantage this time around.

Of course the XBOX 360 got better over time but I would say that it peaked early and Sony passed them in the second half of that generation and improved more. They were better at first but over the last 3 years the PS3 won that generation.

When was the last truly great XBox 360 exclusive?

In the last 6 months alone PS3 owners got Last of Us, Puppetteer, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Beyond, Kingdom Hearts, etc as exclusives. While they were not all great, or even good games, Sony at least was still pushing new exclusives even late into the systems life.

One thing that is clear with Sony is that they will have strong first party games and will support their consoles for long periods of time, I highly doubt they let their console owners down on that front.

Microsoft may win this generation on the basis of "owning the living room" but many of the reasons you posted are laughable.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-16-2013 at 07:27 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #1083
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Or just maybe the poster likes a different experience that include more than unharnessed horsepower specs? Hmmm

Guess I don't like a proper gaming experience either as the living room experience the xbox MAY provide is of biggest interest as the games are meh. given the choice I will always choose to play a game on 360 vs ps3 on the controller alone. Really do not like play station controllers. And while better this time around for PS4 that won't change
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #1084
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I love seeing the filthy peasants flock to their nearest best buys and future shops and eb games this time of year.

It's even better knowing they have to pay to play online.

Enjoy your mediocrity !
Was this post necessary? Based on the posts in the thread its clear that there's a lot of people here that like console gaming. Let us enjoy what we like and you enjoy what you like. There's no need to come in here are crap all over our parade.

When it comes to resolution I'm really happy that most games on the PS4 are 1080p. I've got one of the larger TVs (80") and the higher resolution makes games look really nice.

As for impressions so far....

Before I plugged the machine in I added a new hard drive. It was a painless process though I had some difficulty opening the shiny part of the console. I didn't want to get finger prints all over it so I wore gloves but they didn't give me a great grip. If you have finger prints or scratches on that part I recommend picking up Plexus plastic polish. It'll clean that shiny part up really nice.

Once the drive was in I unplugged the PS3 and used the same cables in the PS4, everything booted up fine, and the update ran successfully. I didn't see any metal things popping up in the HDMI port.

Menu navigation is quite speedy. I noticed this especially in the Playstation store. On the PS3 the navigation seemed a bit slow but the PS4 is very snappy. I downloaded Resogun and the other free game.

I purchased Need for Speed Rivals, Killzone, Knack, Assassin's Creed 4, and Marvel Lego Heroes. The first game I tried was NFS. The graphics are very nice. There seems to be a lot going on: leaves flying around, crazy lighting, water splashing, etc. It's a real visual treat and it's fun! I asked my wife to sit with me for a bit while I played and her favourite part of the game was the fact that the light on the controller changes depending on whether you're playing a cop (blue light) or rival (red light).

I was pretty tired so I didn't have a chance to try the other games. I'll try more today and leave a few more impressions.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #1085
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Wonder how long it'll take for new shipments? I went to several stores looking at TVs yesterday and there was nothing save for a few games.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #1086
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have to wonder what difficulty Knack was played in during the reviews.

It's nothing amazing but its a decent platformer in the mold of the older, simpler, jump and punch games.

Enjoyed my time with it so far.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #1087
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Patiently waiting for my XB1 order on Friday. I did call a few months ago and got my shipping address changed. Unfortunately when I looked to confirm, it appears they never changed my address for me, although I'm thinking that I'm just looking at an "old invoice".

Either way, excited for the launch lineup. So far, I'm going to be getting Ryse, Killer Instinct, Madden and BF4. Definitely eyeing DR3 as it does look like a lot of fun.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #1088
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I love seeing the filthy peasants flock to their nearest best buys and future shops and eb games this time of year.

It's even better knowing they have to pay to play online.

Enjoy your mediocrity !

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #1089
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
Patiently waiting for my XB1 order on Friday. I did call a few months ago and got my shipping address changed. Unfortunately when I looked to confirm, it appears they never changed my address for me, although I'm thinking that I'm just looking at an "old invoice".

Either way, excited for the launch lineup. So far, I'm going to be getting Ryse, Killer Instinct, Madden and BF4. Definitely eyeing DR3 as it does look like a lot of fun.
I've got Ryse, Forza 5, and Forza 5 Limited Edition. I was hoping to get that Killer Instinct voucher but no dice. I might get that Powershot golf game.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #1090
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

To tack onto what chemgear posted earlier, here's a direct comparison of 720/900/1080 upscaled to 1080 with and without 4xMSAA.

WARNING: Big GIF

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #1091
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #1092
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Care to elaborate? What exactly is wrong with Forza 5, FIFA 14, NBA 2K14?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #1093
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm. wrong thread.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 11-16-2013 at 02:40 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #1094
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My guess is he was referring to the "plug into my satellite receiver" part.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #1095
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Give me 1 reason why the PS4 is better than the Xbox One.

The reason can't be "superior hardware benchmark"....yeah the PS3 was a superior hardware benchmark than the Xbox 360 too.

It really shows how little people know about the gaming experience as a total living room package and how MUCH they care about price.

$100 difference....over 8 years....really??

With Kinect, Xbox Live, Satellite/Cable box plugin, voice command control, better exclusive game lineup....there is no question that the Xbox One is a better experience than the PS4...which is marketing itself towards hardcore gamers.

I'm telling you...Sony is going to let you guys down over the next few years while with Microsoft...they kept on making Xbox 360 better and better the whole time...not to mention that similar service and the games that Xbox 360 and PS3 shared played BETTER on the Xbox...

Got Forza 5, FIFA 14, NBA 2K14 coming next friday...Xbox ON!.....cant wait to plug my satellite receiver into the box and connect my entire house system.
better exclusives? that is a matter of opinion...I don't need a gaming console to watch tv. I have both 360 and PS3 at the end of the cycle the PS3 was the better machine
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #1096
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

and FYI saying X is better than Y when you haven't played X (or likely even Y for that matter) is pretty stupid. Cable box one isn't even out yet and ps4 has been out for one day
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #1097
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
and FYI saying X is better than Y when you haven't played X (or likely even Y for that matter) is pretty stupid. Cable box one isn't even out yet and ps4 has been out for one day
If you're telling people who haven't played both to shut it but you're calling it an Xbone or Cable Box one how is your point supposed to carry any weight?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #1098
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am selling a new, unopened PS4 at cost if anyone you know is trying to track one down. Bought an extra one yesterday when I went to pick up my pre-order as they still had some non-pre order ones around. Figured I could help someone out.

Send me a PM.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #1099
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
If you're telling people who haven't played both to shut it but you're calling it an Xbone or Cable Box one how is your point supposed to carry any weight?
relax, just a nickname...honestly I will own both eventually and already have high end pc I don't need to pick sides here.

I don't buy all this media box stuff though...wish these guys would all focus on GAMES. Anyone that would spend $500 on a media box should be smart enough to build an HTPC which is far more flexible. The average joe isn't gonna spend $500 on this kinda stuff...netflix and on demand movies is all they need.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #1100
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
NBA 2k14 looks amazing on ps4...should be the same on xbox one. upgrade is very noticeable not just a coat of paint like some of the other ones. I would recommend it.