Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 11:09 AM   #1081
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I can see CGY picking up one of: Marchessault, Kane, Arvidsson, Tarasenko, or Duclair on a 1 year contract, if any of them aren't signed several days into free agency.

If the Flames plan to address the center position with a stop gap then I could see Duchene, or Henrique joining them.

On D, Pesce, Tanev, Martinez, and Brodie strike me as the ultimate value pickups on a shorter contract. I'd look into one of DeMelo or Roy on a longer contract, but I don't see them coming here.
Some 1 year deals would be great. Give them lots of prime playing time, boost their stats, deal at deadline. Pay them extra money to sign here and they get to chase at a cup as well. Seems like a win-win for a player who doesn't get any enticing offers.
Hackey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 11:11 AM   #1082
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The Canes wanted to sign Lindholm, but not at the figure he was asking for. They were willing to trade him as part of a deal for a couple of premium assets in Hamilton and Fox. That doesn't mean they didn't want him.

However, I don't believe any team is going to offer Lindholm a UFA contract on anything like the terms he turned down from the Flames. If he keeps on the way he's going, he may actually have to take a pay cut.
The Canes are pretty deep with forwards though. I think they have plenty of options already in the lineup currently. I doubt they go after Lindholm unless it's a last option type thing or very reasonable deal.
Hackey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 11:40 AM   #1083
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you believe what Conroy is saying about looking for short deals this UFA season, then any player that would be desired by a few teams will likely not land in Calgary, simply due to the player taking the deal that would best serve them financially and a short term deal will always lose over a longer term one. If it's a situation where there is only one team other than the Flames ready to sign, the Flames will have a chance, depending on ice time for that player.

I agree with Conroy's plan to add shorter term deals to the Flames to ensure they don't bottom out and have the developing kids in a situation where all they do is lose. I see the Flames signings happening later into the summer, signing the guys that got zero interest in the immediate weeks of free agency opening.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 11:02 AM   #1084
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have 14 forwards signed for next year, including Pelletier and Coronato. That assumes Greer doesn't re-sign.

I'm sure they are going to want some churn. Who doesn't come back?

Duehr - probably no real trade value
Hunt, Rooney - they seem to like those guys. Rooney just got signed.
Kuzmenko - he'll be hard to move in the summer
Mangiapane - he could be moved in a hockey trade over the summer

Others?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:11 AM   #1085
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Apparently there are rumours that CBJ may want to unload Gaudreau on another team. If so, I can't imagine them having much appetite to add Lindholm.

(Kevin Paul Dupont, of the Boston Globe, mentioned a Gaudreau trade as a possible item of business for the Blue Jackets' new GM once hired.)
The problem with that is JG seems to not care as much as others about being on a winning team. I could see him not wanting to waive NMC. He chose CBJ for family reasons.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM   #1086
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duclair I think is a no brainer to try and sign. I suspect his stint with TB is putting him back into expensive territory though, and he seems to play best in florida.

I dont think any player other than Tanev you listed will likely even consider the flames unless we're overpaying and signing longer contracts. I certainly hope that's not our plan, and so I don't see how we will be big players in free agency.

I think attacking tweeners is still the right move. I love that Sureloss highlighted Beggren- I think he's a great target.

I wonder if Stevie is still hot after a dman? Rumors that he was interested in Hanifin... I think Andersson would be a star in Detroit.

Berggren+ Shai Buium+ Detroit 24 1st for Andersson? We come out with another nice pick this year, a big dman with good point production in college (and a brother who is going to go high this year) and Berggren, who IMO has solid upside at NHL level (and has proven very productive in the AHL.) .5 ppg in limited nhl time.

Andersson is a loss but IMO this is another sell high opportunity. Great player but I don't think he's sticking around after this contract unless the flames are contenders. I think we're a bit outside that window personally. His NTC comes into play July 1st this year.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:38 AM   #1087
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Duclair I think is a no brainer to try and sign. I suspect his stint with TB is putting him back into expensive territory though, and he seems to play best in florida.

I dont think any player other than Tanev you listed will likely even consider the flames unless we're overpaying and signing longer contracts. I certainly hope that's not our plan, and so I don't see how we will be big players in free agency.

I think attacking tweeners is still the right move. I love that Sureloss highlighted Beggren- I think he's a great target.

I wonder if Stevie is still hot after a dman? Rumors that he was interested in Hanifin... I think Andersson would be a star in Detroit.

Berggren+ Shai Buium+ Detroit 24 1st for Andersson? We come out with another nice pick this year, a big dman with good point production in college (and a brother who is going to go high this year) and Berggren, who IMO has solid upside at NHL level (and has proven very productive in the AHL.) .5 ppg in limited nhl time.

Andersson is a loss but IMO this is another sell high opportunity. Great player but I don't think he's sticking around after this contract unless the flames are contenders. I think we're a bit outside that window personally. His NTC comes into play July 1st this year.
The only way flames are trading Anderson this summer is if he asks for a trade . No chance they are going to deplete their d even more for next year. If anything they will be adding to it this summer. Following summer could be a different story if some of the d prospects start looking legit.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:00 PM   #1088
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect Conroy to add a top 4 D man and maybe a depth player, that player might be retaining Greer. I don't expect much else as far as additions. I would say Markstrom moving is a 50/50 thing, I think Mangiapane is as good as gone.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 06:42 PM   #1089
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I expect Conroy to add a top 4 D man and maybe a depth player, that player might be retaining Greer. I don't expect much else as far as additions. I would say Markstrom moving is a 50/50 thing, I think Mangiapane is as good as gone.
Calling it now, Matt Dumba
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:28 PM   #1090
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting piece in the Athletic by LeBrun who sat down with Fitz. Basically said he is still in the hunt for vet #1 goalie offseason and would like to get tougher on the wing. I wonder if there is an appetite for a Markstrom/Coleman package in the offseason. Maybe that is the extra piece to get a Mercer included in the package back.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:50 PM   #1091
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

-Markstrom for NJD '24 1st
-Markstrom retained for Mercer
-Markstrom retained and Coleman for NJD '24 1st & Mercer

Pick one Fitz
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:55 PM   #1092
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Markstrom / Mangiapane for Holtz / Mercer? With some retention?
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:56 PM   #1093
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
Markstrom / Mangiapane for Holtz / Mercer? With some retention?
Fitz said he wanted some wing help with grit, I don't think Bread fits that bill. Now if he was looking for guys that trip on air...
Old 03-25-2024, 08:07 PM   #1094
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be hard to trade Coleman. Him and his family seem to love it here, especially Banff.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:10 PM   #1095
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fitz said he wanted some wing help with grit, I don't think Bread fits that bill. Now if he was looking for guys that trip on air...
Pospisil. I like him but I think he might have a limited ceiling and he's always going to be a health concern. Calgary doesn't need that grit of his until they are ready to contend. That's when you add the grit.

He might be the Ferland in this deal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:15 PM   #1096
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It would be hard to trade Coleman. Him and his family seem to love it here, especially Banff.
You could be right, plus he has his Cups already. On the other hand if he still wants to chase another, it is a young upcoming team that he has played for before. I don't know, no idea where Coleman's head is at.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:18 PM   #1097
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could be right, plus he has his Cups already. On the other hand if he still wants to chase another, it is a young upcoming team that he has played for before. I don't know, no idea where Coleman's head is at.
Coleman is the leader on the Flames.

100% effort every single game. He should be the guy who the young guys follow!
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:20 PM   #1098
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coleman is the absolute perfect player as far as Americans-playing-in-and-embracing/endorsing-Calgary.

He's an awesome player to sell Calgary to other American players, but how valuable is that really?

He's a total workhorse and worth every penny of his contract, but he's one of the remaining handful of Flames players that could return significant assets in the next year or two (Andersson -> Backlund/Coleman -> Mangiapane/Kuzmenko).

If the right deal comes along, you have to pull the trigger imo.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 PM   #1099
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Coleman is the absolute perfect player as far as Americans-playing-in-and-embracing/endorsing-Calgary.

He's an awesome player to sell Calgary to other American players, but how valuable is that really?

He's a total workhorse and worth every penny of his contract, but he's one of the remaining handful of Flames players that could return significant assets in the next year or two (Andersson -> Backlund/Coleman -> Mangiapane/Kuzmenko).

I think he was one of the people in the background trying to get Johnny to sign. He talked about legacy and having his jersey retired.

He’s pretty passionate. I think he’s the real captain of this team.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:25 PM   #1100
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post

I would say this was/is Conroy, but Coleman is probably the best since.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good