Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #1061
acerbic_1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Simply host the 2026 Olympics. Pour the lion's share of funds into a vast, state of the art hockey/football sports complex. Throw a coat of paint on COP, Canmore and Lake Louise and voila - new home for the Flames. The other venues may suck but no one cares about the winter Olympics anyway (other than hockey).

By 2026 there will be a few thousand more unemployed "Syrians", (oddly originating from Iraq, Afghanistan, Algeria, Libya, Yemen and sub-Saharan Africa), in town that can pick up some work running security - like at the airport.
The Following User Says Thank You to acerbic_1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #1062
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Then we can agree that 200M-1B of unbudgeted expenses would be better served helping our homeless than Murray edwards?
New poll?
Would you favour no funding of a new arena if it meant an end to homelessness and poverty?
Hey, it's no worse than the pervious polls.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #1063
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Build arena, let homeless live there?

Your stance is so contrary to itself that it's legitimately hilarious.

My stance is with the Canadian system in general, when there was that fire in Fort McMurray, Trudeau said they will match very dollar paid to Red Cross but a week later, he proved a $2.5 Billion package for the refugees. You can spend $2.5 Billion on refugees but not the place that makes you billions.

As for Calgary, the city will spend millions on refugees but have little money for the homeless.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #1064
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
No, a lot of people are saying no funding at all.

Drop the clean up and field house and they are almost fully funding the arena by themselves. Flames should just drop all that nonsense. Let the city build a field house and clean up the west end themselves. Arena is all that matters. East Village is a fine location.
Well I doubt you'll find anyone more against funding for the arena itself than me, and even I 100% support providing the necessary support infrastructure for the Vic Park location. There are not that many people who are 100% against a penny going into this thing. Fixing up the roads, extending the CTrain to run directly to the building? Absolutely. Paying for the building itself? Nah. And as I said they can do it in Vic Park with $450 million of their own money, I'm sure the city would agree to kick in support money....it seems like this should really be simple. Unless CalgaryNEXT is truly the make or break, either they get that or they move. And if they need CalgaryNEXT to stay, well, that's pathetic.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #1065
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
My stance is with the Canadian system in general, when there was that fire in Fort McMurray, Trudeau said they will match very dollar paid to Red Cross but a week later, he proved a $2.5 Billion package for the refugees. You can spend $2.5 Billion on refugees but not the place that makes you billions.

As for Calgary, the city will spend millions on refugees but have little money for the homeless.
And what does that have to do with a massive handout to a professional sports team?
Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #1066
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
No, a lot of people are saying no funding at all.

Drop the clean up and field house and they are almost fully funding the arena by themselves. Flames should just drop all that nonsense. Let the city build a field house and clean up the west end themselves. Arena is all that matters. East Village is a fine location.

In my dream world, the LRT gets extended to the airport and Balzac and the building get's built there. They could fund the building themselves and the LRT should go to the airport anyway.
I dont believe this

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't agree things like roads or transit lines shouldn't be covered by the city

It's the land and construction costs directly related to the building itself
Old 04-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #1067
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Then we can agree that 200M-1B of unbudgeted expenses would be better served helping our homeless than Murray edwards?

No we cannot agree to that but he can agree that the 200M-1B will be better helping the homeless, helping Murray Edwards build a new arena(he should put up a lot of his own money as well) and towards other city projects, rather than handing it out to refugees, who will receive everything for free.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #1068
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbic_1 View Post
Simply host the 2026 Olympics. Pour the lion's share of funds into a vast, state of the art hockey/football sports complex. Throw a coat of paint on COP, Canmore and Lake Louise and voila - new home for the Flames. The other venues may suck but no one cares about the winter Olympics anyway (other than hockey).

By 2026 there will be a few thousand more unemployed "Syrians", (oddly originating from Iraq, Afghanistan, Algeria, Libya, Yemen and sub-Saharan Africa), in town that can pick up some work running security - like at the airport.
Quote:
No we cannot agree to that but he can agree that the 200M-1B will be better helping the homeless, helping Murray Edwards build a new arena(he should put up a lot of his own money as well) and towards other city projects, rather than handing it out to refugees, who will receive everything for free.
When did this thread turn into a Trump cult meeting? Jesus Christ....
Old 04-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #1069
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

The Saddledome isn't making Trudeau or anyone other than CSEC money.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #1070
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Calgarians might as well start buying their McDavid jerseys now.

Not sure where the Flames could move. I get the need for a newer better facility. They will have the worst in the league. But where are they going to go that has a building where they'll get a sweetheart lease deal? No way the NHL wants a team leaving Calgary for Quebec City.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #1071
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And what does that have to do with a massive handout to a professional sports team?

Giving money pro teams helps the city more than giving free hands to people. Say the city puts up money for the arena(not all of it of course), the city gets to get revenue from that arena, the city gets to make money off the people that will out when big shows happen, this is better than giving it to refugees. Refugees who will demand more and more and demand we change our laws to their likeing.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #1072
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Yeah I heard it too. What's funny is that it's not even the worst thing he said. If you were to cherry pick a quote like CBC did it was like a kid in a candy store.
Yep apparently we should build an arena so that 9 year old cancer patients get to see the Flames. Absolute scum tactics by King but it's really not a surprise at this point.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #1073
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Giving money pro teams helps the city more than giving free hands to people. Say the city puts up money for the arena(not all of it of course), the city gets to get revenue from that arena, the city gets to make money off the people that will out when big shows happen, this is better than giving it to refugees. Refugees who will demand more and more and demand we change our laws to their likeing.
....Ok. I highly suggest you look into John Oliver's terrific segment on stadiums. You need to inform yourself.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #1074
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I am disappointed a smart guy like KK got baited into saying something so stupid on the eve of the Flames punching their post season ticket.

Just shut up about this stuff until the off season.
I'm starting to think that Ken's smartitude isn't quite so high.The PR for this whole thing has been just brutal. Not only the amateur hour original presentation, but everything since. I don't know if that's all on him, but he's the pointman for this thing, so it sure looks like it.

The Flames have been the best story in town for two months. Last night was the biggest win in two years, and they've blown a good chunk of that goodwill. Not good.

Ah, maybe I'm just bitter. My wife and I have been on the rocks for a couple years and I couldn't get a job. Finally I got a part-time gig and came home last night and we celebrated and I sweetly told her that if she didn't buy me a new truck, we might have to get a divorce. I don't know what she's so pissed off about, but pissed she is, and I'm standing here with my hands in the air like "what's wrong?".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #1075
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
*citation needed*

You seem to have stumbled onto some data that economists are lacking.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #1076
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
When did this thread turn into a Trump cult meeting? Jesus Christ....

I did not turn it into a "Trump cult meeting". All I was saying is that, putting the money towards a arena, will be more beneficial to the city than giving away free money to the refugees, who will demand more and more.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #1077
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
*citation needed*

You seem to have stumbled onto some data that economists are lacking.

I have, I got this data from European countries.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #1078
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
I have, I got this data from European countries.
Did Francois Hollande and Angela Merkel meet you personally or

Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #1079
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

People keep talking about which markets in NA are better than Calgary, and even with our old building I'll grant you that the list is pretty short. What no one seems to be talking about though is the owners could easily just sell the team to someone else determined to bring a team to their city. The Flames have appreciated in value spectacularly since most of these guys bought in, I could totally see them willing to cut bait with the constant headache of owning a barely profitable business and drink in that sweet sweet capital gains. Most team relocations in professional sports these days are the result of one ownership group selling to another.

So all of you hardliners, stop acting like relocation fees and less interest in big American markets than in Calgary is a fail safe for this team never moving. Couple more years of having to negotiate with nenshi with hundreds of millions of profits staring me in the face I'd be down to sell, bet these guys will too.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #1080
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did not turn it into a "Trump cult meeting". All I was saying is that, putting the money towards a arena, will be more beneficial to the city than giving away free money to the refugees, who will demand more and more.
No, you're repeating nearly verbatim the talking points of Trump cultists. And not even providing any evidence to back up your ridiculous assertions. We get it, you hate refugees and foreigner and love corporate welfare.