Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #10701
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
One of Bill Peters' favourite players in Carolina was Derek Ryan, almost to a slightly excessive degree. I could see the Flames bringing him in to be a bottom-six utility player who can play centre or right wing.
I don't know much about this derek ryan but he sounds very Stajan-y / Brouwer-y to me

did we not just trade for Nick Shore to fit this role?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #10702
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I don't know much about this derek ryan but he sounds very Stajan-y / Brouwer-y to me

did we not just trade for Nick Shore to fit this role?
I suppose, although Ryan had ~40 points last season while Shore had... 19

idk he played RW under Peters a little and I could see him actually taking Versteeg's spot bc IIRC he played powerplay

Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #10703
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me out on the Derek Ryan deal- we have ample players just like him already and we don't need to give Peters a favourite crutch of his here. I'm already too concerned that he'll latch on to Brouwer, really don't want him to have two Brouwers to pump out there at will. Shore or a young guy (mangiapane, Dube, Klimchuk, lazar) could all do just as well if put in similar positions to Ryan last year.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #10704
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't want to part with any of our young forwards unless its a massive win. We have two defencemen to trade from the current roster (not Giordano or Hamonic) and Fox we can use as bait.

This such bring us at least one top forward under 24 yrs of age (Don't need any guys approaching 30 please!) and a great first round pic or two or prospects ready to come up.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #10705
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Count me out on the Derek Ryan deal- we have ample players just like him already and we don't need to give Peters a favourite crutch of his here. I'm already too concerned that he'll latch on to Brouwer, really don't want him to have two Brouwers to pump out there at will. Shore or a young guy (mangiapane, Dube, Klimchuk, lazar) could all do just as well if put in similar positions to Ryan last year.
Agreed. Bottom six should, ideally, be filled from within. Only exception to this is if we are bringing in a player with a skill set we don’t have in the organization already. Someone like Reeves who can be the intimidating mean factor.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #10706
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I suppose, although Ryan had ~40 points last season while Shore had... 19

idk he played RW under Peters a little and I could see him actually taking Versteeg's spot bc IIRC he played powerplay
Canes fans say he got PP1 time so comparing him to Shore is not a fair comparison
Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #10707
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Canes fans say he got PP1 time so comparing him to Shore is not a fair comparison
So he's their Brouwer... but he produced a bit better.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #10708
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan had the 8th most PP minutes of any Hurricane player, and the 7th most of all the forwards.

He may have spent some time on the #1 unit, but not very much.

He also won't command anywhere near a $4.5 million contract, and probably not more than 2 years.

He's also 56.1% in the face off dot in his career so far. Not a small sample size either. Last season he took the 2nd highest amount of draws for the Hurricanes with 940, behind only Staal.

He would be an excellent depth add IMO.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-24-2018 at 01:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #10709
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, he's also unlike Brouwer in that he had tougher matchups and was actually a positive possession player relative to the rest of the team. Brouwer in contrast is a possession black hole and makes almost everyone he plays with worse.

Ryan appears to be the whipping boy for Carolina fans, and I'm not sure it was justified.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #10710
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Well, he's also unlike Brouwer in that he had tougher matchups and was actually a positive possession player relative to the rest of the team. Brouwer in contrast is a possession black hole and makes almost everyone he plays with worse.

Ryan appears to be the whipping boy for Carolina fans, and I'm not sure it was justified.
He's already set to be the whipping boy here too it looks like, if BT signs him.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #10711
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody can be like Brouwer unless they are getting paid like him and not living up to that contract.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #10712
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to think that if the Islanders ultimately cannot sign Tavares, which seems likely at this point, that the Flames have to like their chances on signing him if they are willing to spend the cash.

I believe/know three things, that Tavares wants to win, wants to play in Canada, and is best friends with Hamonic.. I see the Flames as the only Canadian team that really makes sense as Tavares doesn’t seem like someone who would be comfortable in the TO fishbowl. . If my rational proves true, certainly would change the dynamic of the team and give some interesting line combinations.

Gaudreau-Tavares-Ferland
Bennett-Monahan-Tkachuk
Old 04-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #10713
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I have to think that if the Islanders ultimately cannot sign Tavares, which seems likely at this point, that the Flames have to like their chances on signing him if they are willing to spend the cash.

I believe/know three things, that Tavares wants to win, wants to play in Canada, and is best friends with Hamonic.. I see the Flames as the only Canadian team that really makes sense as Tavares doesn’t seem like someone who would be comfortable in the TO fishbowl. . If my rational proves true, certainly would change the dynamic of the team and give some interesting line combinations.

Gaudreau-Tavares-Ferland
Bennett-Monahan-Tkachuk
Zero chance Tavares is coming here, I have a better chance of winning Lotto max. Besides the point it would handicap us cap wise going forward as he is going to cost at minimum 11M per year imo
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #10714
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tavares to the Flames is nothing more than a pipe dream, that if realized would ensue in dissentowner(?) getting a full back tattoo of Brad Treliving doing the 'buddy Christ' pose.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #10715
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Gaudreau-Tavares-Ferland
Bennett-Monahan-Tkachuk
It's a nice thought, but the Flames have 12 mil in projected cap space. So it would take some finagling to get it done given they also need to fill their roster with players as well. I would have to think that if JT really wanted to play in Canada he would fit easy into the cap of the Habs, Canucks, and possibly the Leafs. whoever he signs with will jump into contention. They all need the 1C and have some significant pieces that would support him (Price/Weber in MTL, the youth in VAN, and the Leafs are good).
Old 04-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #10716
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I should say that in tandem to that, I see Brodie traded for a 1st, and Brouwer bought out.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #10717
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gaudreau-Tavares-Ferland
Bennett-Monahan-Tkachuk

Which of those three do you believe and which of those three do you know?

Just curious.

I hadn't heard he wanted to go to Canada
I also didn't know he and Hamonic were best friends. Is this true?

Also, stop getting my hopes up lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #10718
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im not sure Tre would even look at Tavares. Now that we know the "process" doesn't mean turning over EVERY rock.

I think tavares is too expensive would be making nearly 40% more than the next highest paid flame

Wishful thinking and awesome if it works out but I just don't see it
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #10719
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Im not sure Tre would even look at Tavares. Now that we know the "process" doesn't mean turning over EVERY rock.

I think tavares is too expensive would be making nearly 40% more than the next highest paid flame

Wishful thinking and awesome if it works out but I just don't see it
40% more would put him at $9.45M ($6.75M) being the highest Flames cap hit).

Taveras will get $11M easily, which is about 63% higher than $6.75M.

Although I'm not sure why what other Flames are making is entirely relevant, as you need to usually pay FMV to get and retain talent.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #10720
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
40% more would put him at $9.45M ($6.75M) being the highest Flames cap hit).

Taveras will get $11M easily, which is about 63% higher than $6.75M.

Although I'm not sure why what other Flames are making is entirely relevant, as you need to usually pay FMV to get and retain talent.

Tre has had a very clear internal cap on how much he will pay any one player, he has been very good at signing players to deals that don't exceed $7M

My 40% was a number off the top of my head assuming that tkachuk likely goes above $6.75M per year on his next deal and closer to $8M

I agree that $11 is likely where Tavares gets paid.
Closed Thread