Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #1041
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Need another reason to buy the iPad?

Only for you Star Trek fans.

the iPADD.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #1042
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Does anybody else find it a touch unnerving that this thing is supposed to ship in less than 2 weeks and we haven't really heard anything yet? We've heard confirmation that it's coming by the end of April, and we've heard that apple store employees can't take the 24th off ... but beyond that it seems a tad quiet. I would expect news today or tomorrow. If not then I have to start wondering.

Quick question for KTrain (or anybody else that has one) ... have you found yourself in situations where you wish you had the 3g version? I'm waffling right now between the two.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #1043
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm in the same boat. I've held it and played with it, so I'm pretty convinced that I'm getting one... but the lack of tethering concerns me.

I keep going back and forth on the 3G thing. I think Rogers will end up deciding for me whenever they get around to announcing their data buckets for this thing.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #1044
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Quick question for KTrain (or anybody else that has one) ... have you found yourself in situations where you wish you had the 3g version? I'm waffling right now between the two.
Yup. I was at a conference last week and the Wifi was sketchy at best. It really limited my ability to do anything with the iPad. I was looking to tweet about the conference and catch up on some email but couldn't. I ended up using my iPhone for the Twitter but had to wait to really work on email.

However, now that I've had it a little longer I've been able to add other applications that don't require internet access to occupy my time with it. I use it primarily as a reader when I don't have internet to help me get caught up on a bunch of pdf books I've downloaded that have been sitting on my Mac. Also, I sync TV shows and audio prior to trips so there isn't much I need to download while I'm out.

It would be nice to have the 3G but I don't want to add another data plan to do things that I can do on my iPhone just on a larger screen (check email, Twitter and some internet surfing).

I think you really have to decide where you're going to be using it most. I know you're a Ctrain user so you might find more use for the 3G.

I tend to prepare for longer trips without wifi or 3G access by adding pdfs, movies, audio, etc. I don't mind spending some time on my Mac to get everything synced before I leave for the day or a trip.

Let me know if you want to take a look at it in person to help you make up your mind.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #1045
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've held it and played with it, so I'm pretty convinced that I'm getting one... but the lack of tethering concerns me.

I keep going back and forth on the 3G thing. I think Rogers will end up deciding for me whenever they get around to announcing their data buckets for this thing.
The fact that 4.0 has (allegedly) been jailbroken has me pretty pleased that I at least have the option of tethering it to my iphone. For me the killer feature is the gps ... but I have to be realistic in how often I'd be using that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #1046
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
The fact that 4.0 has (allegedly) been jailbroken has me pretty pleased that I at least have the option of tethering it to my iphone. For me the killer feature is the gps ... but I have to be realistic in how often I'd be using that.
The WiFi one has WiFi-assisted GPS, but yeah the 3G one has the actual component itself.

It'll be like old times, back when I used to JB my phone so I could tether it. I have to believe Apple will enable at least bluetooth tethering at some point though. Probably next year's model.

Edit: Whoops, it's not WiFi-assisted... it's just WiFi location, I guess.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-12-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #1047
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You'd think they could come up with some kind of brand loyalty-rewarding deal with the carriers, where your 2nd Apple device data plan would be half off or something. Or just build in some kind of app that allows tethering of the iPad to an iPhone only.

Otherwise it seems like some people might ditch their iPhone in exchange for something that officially allows tethering (if there is such a thing?) and get wifi iPads. I mean, having 2 mobile data plans is just crazy.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #1048
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

There's no data plan for the iPad. It's an unlocked device that allows you to just buy data buckets as needed.

Edit: I do want tethering though.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-12-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #1049
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Right, but I'm saying they could have either worked out something with their iPhone carriers (which is only AT&T in the US) or built something into the OS to allow sharing the iPhone's 3G connection with a WiFi iPad. Alternately, the iPhone carriers could offer a discount on your 2nd mobile data plan.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #1050
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Right, but I'm saying they could have either worked out something with their iPhone carriers (which is only AT&T in the US) or built something into the OS to allow sharing the iPhone's 3G connection with a WiFi iPad. Alternately, the iPhone carriers could offer a discount on your 2nd mobile data plan.
That implies that mobile carriers aren't trying to screw you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #1051
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even if we (correctly) assume they are, Apple could have used their negotiating power to work something out. Or they could have just built it into the OS and told the carriers that if they don't like it they don't have to sell the iPhone.

I just hate the idea that if people want to have mobile internet on more than one device, they have to pay full price for each additional device.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #1052
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even if we (correctly) assume they are, Apple could have used their negotiating power to work something out. Or they could have just built it into the OS and told the carriers that if they don't like it they don't have to sell the iPhone.

I just hate the idea that if people want to have mobile internet on more than one device, they have to pay full price for each additional device.
As in if I have a 6 gig per month plan for my iPhone and don't use it all my hypothetical iPad should go towards that preexisting plan? I knew carriers are different in the States, but here getting Rogers to allow tethering was like pulling teeth.

Canadian carriers are sadists.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #1053
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what the US is like, but that's the way it is in Canada. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer. The only way around that is through tethering.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #1054
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
What about baseball? I can't stand baseball and every time I hear someone refer to a pro baseball player as an "athlete" I want to stab myself in the eye. It's the fakest sport on the planet, played by disgustingly rich steroid junkies. You don't think I'd love to stick my nose into every baseball thread on this board and share my wonderful opinions with everyone else there?

You know why I don't? Because I'm not an a$$hole.
If the thread is "what do you think of the baseball", then by all means you can say that it sucks. If you create a "what do you think of the iPad" thread, and you pretty much have, then don't get upset when people tell you they think it's lame.

Are you having problems with people telling you the iPad sucks in the iPad apps thread? Beause that is a reasonable position, just like you wouldn't go into a Roy Halladay thread and tell everyone that baseball isn't a sport. I don't know what's going on the iPad apps thread, because I've never looked at it.

Last edited by SebC; 04-13-2010 at 02:26 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #1055
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

My iPad was just delivered to my Aunts in Portland...who is coming up next weekend with it. I don't know if I can wait!!!!!! I want it I want it I want it!!!!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #1056
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
My iPad was just delivered to my Aunts in Portland...who is coming up next weekend with it. I don't know if I can wait!!!!!! I want it I want it I want it!!!!
Did you just get the WiFi model?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #1057
underGRADFlame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Did you just get the WiFi model?
Yeah a 16gb WiFi model... Once the 2nd Gen comes out i might upgrade if it has a forward facing camera.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #1058
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default International Release Delayed Until End of May

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...sory_ipad.html

Apple today released the following statement:

Although we have delivered more than 500,000 iPads during its first week, demand is far higher than we predicted and will likely continue to exceed our supply over the next several weeks as more people see and touch an iPad™. We have also taken a large number of pre-orders for iPad 3G models for delivery by the end of April.

Faced with this surprisingly strong US demand, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the international launch of iPad by one month, until the end of May. We will announce international pricing and begin taking online pre-orders on Monday, May 10. We know that many international customers waiting to buy an iPad will be disappointed by this news, but we hope they will be pleased to learn the reason—the iPad is a runaway success in the US thus far.

At least you're getting the pre-orders you wanted.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #1059
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yikes. Kinda makes me wish the haters were right about it being a flop...

But not really.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #1060
underGRADFlame

Exp:

I'm so glad that I didn't wait for the Canadian release now.