Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2023, 09:25 AM   #1041
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Oiler fans are Homer vs. Tatum. They keep getting punched and they just won't go down.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #1042
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Fiala and home ice is going to really help. Hopefully gets them going earlier too.
I only watched the end of both games and listened to the start of each game on the radio. Interesting that I completely missed Fiala not in the lineup. Kings have done very well considering he’s not playing. Is he in for game 3 100%?
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:50 AM   #1043
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

They also didn't have Vilardi in game 1 and then he score the tying goal in game 2 - they're getting better. Before the series they said there was a chance both would play in game 2, so that suggests that Fiala isn't far off but I haven't seen anything that says he'll be back in for sure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:53 AM   #1044
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
They also didn't have Vilardi in game 1 and then he score the tying goal in game 2 - they're getting better. Before the series they said there was a chance both would play in game 2, so that suggests that Fiala isn't far off but I haven't seen anything that says he'll be back in for sure.
He didn’t travel and hasn’t skated with the team. Could be targeting a game 3 return though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:54 AM   #1045
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid has 4 points in 6 games against LA this season. The least vs any western conference opponent.

On the radio they were speculating on that being due to McClellan having a book on McDavid from his time there.

LA needs to start putting together something remotely close to a 60 minute game at home, but with this proven competence in shutting McDavid down, it alone increases their odds to come out of the series substantially.

Injecting some skill into the top six should help with that.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:55 AM   #1046
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Oiler fans are Homer vs. Tatum. They keep getting punched and they just won't go down.
Oiler fans definitely are Tatum...

NSFW!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #1047
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid has 4 points in 6 games against LA this season. The least vs any western conference opponent.

On the radio they were speculating on that being due to McClellan having a book on McDavid from his time there.

LA needs to start putting together something remotely close to a 60 minute game at home, but with this proven competence in shutting McDavid down, it alone increases their odds to come out of the series substantially.

Just being at home and being able to call the match up against McDavid is a huge bonus. Particularly, when LA has one of the best shut down centres in the league in Danault.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:04 AM   #1048
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It's so satisfying to see McDavid wind up and try to blast into the zone only to have a defender calmly, either step in his way or get the puck off him. I know he is an incredible player but it seems too many teams sit back and just watch him speed into their end.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 11:06 AM   #1049
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Danault - wow what a player.

Really does it all at both ends. Never really stood out to me in Montreal but I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Massively valuable, smart, shutdown player with sneaky talent offensively. He deserves a place Selke conversations IMO.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #1050
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
It's so satisfying to see McDavid wind up and try to blast into the zone only to have a defender calmly, either step in his way or get the puck off him. I know he is an incredible player but it seems too many teams sit back and just watch him speed into their end.
When you know exactly what he's looking to do at 5 on 5 you think it wouldn't be that hard to anticipate positionally. Sure, you have to deviate from your usual approach when he's out there, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult to coach.

The other thing they mentioned is allowing him to make laps around the o-zone without overcommitting or letting him draw you out of the middle also limits the damage he can do. Too many teams are entranced by him carrying the puck and let him open up a guy in a dangerous spot. Todd seems to understand this, as well as the Kings.

And if your line up has the depth then you can counter offensively when the other lines are out there.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 04-20-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:23 AM   #1051
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

A positive for the Kings is that McDavid hasn’t been McDavid yet. But he isn’t gonna stay cold forever
Old 04-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #1052
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of Danault - wow what a player.

Really does it all at both ends. Never really stood out to me in Montreal but I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Massively valuable, smart, shutdown player with sneaky talent offensively. He deserves a place Selke conversations IMO.
This guy is a playoff superstar. at $5.5 mil he is one of the best value contracts in the league.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #1053
Southside403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
This guy is a playoff superstar. at $5.5 mil he is one of the best value contracts in the league.
Montreal let him walk wouldn't offer that
Southside403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:23 PM   #1054
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't think there's any comparison between how Leaf fans approach their team and how Oil fans do. Leaf fans are EXTREMELY fragile and nervous about any hint of impending catastrophe. If they beat Tampa 5-0 next game the result will be a sense of "Okay... okay, calm down. We lost home ice but we're Okay, just have to keep that level of play up. God I hope they can keep that level of play up... they can't, can they? Vasilevsky is going to get three straight shutouts isn't he? Oh God."
Yeah true, I guess I'm more referencing how Leafs fans traditionally are seen, and how they can be when things are going very well. I agree especially in recent years there's a lot of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" with that fanbase now going into the playoffs even when things look good, similar to Flames fans. Greaser fans live in an entirely different reality.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:26 PM   #1055
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
A positive for the Kings is that McDavid hasn’t been McDavid yet. But he isn’t gonna stay cold forever
Yeah they need to be ready to start games at the opening puck drop as starting every game 0-2 is not a recipe for success. Ideally they would be the team getting out of the gates early to put pressure on the Oilers who have the burden of being the overwhelming favorites in the series.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #1056
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I don't think LA is really doing an exceptional job defending him so far.

He's got 11 shots on net through 2 games. He's 69% expected goals 5v5.

Last night he had two, 2 on 1s that they didn't convert.

He had a real nice chance in the third when he walked a defender.

McDavid has been getting schooled on faceoffs, like 35%, and Korpisalo has made a number of big saves, but Connor has been getting some real good looks and could easily be at 3-4 points right now instead of 1.

I'd say Connor's lack of points so far is more about being snakebit/Korpisalo making some huge saves rather than anything special the Kings are doing.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #1057
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

McDavid has been getting schooled on faceoffs, like 35%, and Korpisalo has made a number of big saves, but Connor has been getting some real good looks and could easily be at 3-4 points right now instead of 1.

I'd say Connor's lack of points so far is more about being snakebit/Korpisalo making some huge saves rather than anything special the Kings are doing.
I think he looks completely disinterested. Definitely not the guy we saw in the first couple rounds last year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:42 PM   #1058
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

They didn't convert because those 2 on 1s were obstructed in some way. LA is defending well. Bend but don't break. Being very patient in defending, especially with their sticks.

Results speak for themselves, and it's spanned 6 games now, which tells you that it's more than just "Connor hasn't turned it on"

Maybe it's time to reevaluate and maybe *gasp* give LA a little credit. They're a good team.

But oiler fans tend to only see things from inside their little echo chamber bubble with the Staples and Spectors of the world whispering "we're incredible! no one can stop us!" sounding in their ears, until suddenly the Oilers are eliminated and the faithful are left dumbfounded, explaining it away with ridiculous or nonsensical reasons

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 04-20-2023 at 01:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 04:33 PM   #1059
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
I think he looks completely disinterested. Definitely not the guy we saw in the first couple rounds last year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We'll he's probably won the trophies that he was interested in, he's ready for the off season.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:22 AM   #1060
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

It’s my 29th birthday today. Last year on this day Tkachuk scored #40 and got his 100th point. I’m manifesting an Oilers loss as a birthday gift

Tags
2023 , kings , oilers , playoffs