Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #1041
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
if its a foul at all its a red

the ball was coming down and he kicked at Parker's stomach, it then hit Parkers head
It wasn't a red.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #1042
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like he saw a situation and took advantage of it to me, and to a lot of others

sadly for his case because of past actions (biting, kicking, etc) he can't get the benefit of the doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
It wasn't a red.
what I meant was for the ref to give a foul there at all, it has to be a red, there's no in between of that being a yellow

it's either nothing or a red

like the yellow webb gave Rooney last year, it's a red or nothing
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #1043
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
looks like he saw a situation and took advantage of it to me, and to a lot of others

sadly for his case because of past actions (biting, kicking, etc) he can't get the benefit of the doubt

what I meant was for the ref to give a foul there at all, it has to be a red, there's no in between of that being a yellow

it's either nothing or a red

like the yellow webb gave Rooney last year, it's a red or nothing
Would it not be a yellow if the ref decided it wasn't intentional? You don't just get an automatic red every time someone gets kicked.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #1044
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

for a kick that high and what looked intentional I think you do
Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #1045
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree with your assessment. He appeared to be genuinely looking at and going for the ball. It was just one of those things. A yellow can be justified if the ref thinks while he did not mean to kick Parker, but should have been more in control - a situation akin to a mistimed tackle.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #1046
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know how this can be seen as unintentional

the ball is still off screen and coming down at this point, to a place where Suarez knows he wont be able to hit it

look at Carroll looking up at the ball, he knows where it is
Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #1047
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I dont know how this can be seen as unintentional

the ball is still off screen and coming down at this point, to a place where Suarez knows he wont be able to hit it

look at Carroll looking up at the ball, he knows where it is
Watch the video instead of the picture. The kick happens after the ball has been headed. It is quite clear.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #1048
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a perfectly good clip of the incident - look at that because it tells you far more than a still.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #1049
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #1050
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone else I would side with you, but because of who it is I think he knows what he was doing

I would think the same thing if it was someone like Balotelli or Rooney or Adebayor etc.

the stills though were captioned wrong I will admit that, clearly after the header by Parker
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #1051
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

He seemed genuinely apologetic afterwards, I dont know. It happened and I didnt dwell on it, the ref seemed sure, to me it seemed like a careless move but not malicious.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #1052
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand why you think that, but I think he was genuinely going for the (foot)ball.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #1053
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I understand why you think that, but I think he was genuinely going for the (foot)ball.
I agree. He just did it very clumsily. Hell, it kind of looks like he didnt even realize Parker was standing there until afterwards, he was just focused on the ball.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #1054
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I see someone who knows damn well what he's doing. He knows where Parker is, he knows the ball won't fall to him, and he takes advantage of the situation.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1055
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I see someone who knows damn well what he's doing. He knows where Parker is, he knows the ball won't fall to him, and he takes advantage of the situation.
I guess we disagree then. Suarez's reputation is his own fault and he can't really complain too much that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in this type of situation.

I know there have been times when I thought I could make a great play, misjudged it badly and ended up kicking someone. It happens, he got a yellow. If it wasn't for his reputation we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #1056
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #1057
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
for a kick that high and what looked intentional I think you do
Then you have to effectively ban overhead or 'bicycle' kicks as they are dangerous, made with one's back to the play and result in 'unintentional' high contact a good deal of the time.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #1058
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I guess we disagree then. Suarez's reputation is his own fault and he can't really complain too much that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in this type of situation.

I know there have been times when I thought I could make a great play, misjudged it badly and ended up kicking someone. It happens, he got a yellow. If it wasn't for his reputation we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Which is why you (and I) don't get crap loads of dosh to play in the premiership, there is no way in hell any half competant 1st Div player makes that much of a cack up by accident.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #1059
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Several Twitter sites claiming to be the real deal sprung up within hours of the moggy's dash across the pitch during the first half.

One, @AnfieldCat, has already attracted almost 19,000 followers while video footage of the feline's antics are proving popular on the web.

One post on the Twitter site had a gentle dig at Liverpool's city rivals: "Everton rumoured to be interested in signing me, Bill Kenwright too paw to stump up the money."

in my 3 minute cameo I've ran past more players than Stewart Downing has all season #anfieldcat #meow
http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16164797

Hilarious! I'm glad Liverpool fans have a sense of humour about it.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #1060
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That seems pretty intentional to me. He knew exactly where Parker was since they were jostling for position and it was pretty much guaranteed that the ball was not dropping to stomach level in any case. He was tracking the ball in the air but when he goes for the kick he is looking directly at Parker's chest.

That was just a sneaky move by Suarez to be able to kick a man in the stomach while claiming it was an "accident" since the ball was in the area.
Closed Thread