Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 01:34 PM   #1021
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, not sure if this has been posted or if I can embed.

As a dad of a dman, these clips turn my crank. Hate that defencemen highlight reels are when they are either going end to end (usually being selfish idiots) or slappers from the point. Fine traits those are, but these show head on a swivel, sees the outlet before he even makes the defensive plays and has a really good stick. Regehr ain't and never had that stick, what he's doing in those clips. (Recognizing its just clips)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763017942965317912
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:37 PM   #1022
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Would love it if A) Tanev wins the Cup with Dallas; b) Flames get the Dallas 2026 3rd rounder, and C) Tanev resigns in Calgary this summer and finishes his career here.
Why not do it all again! Sign him to a one year deal and trade him again at the next deadline!
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:39 PM   #1023
Cambardi
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A silly question maybe - But if Calgary made the playoffs and won Stanley Cup - Would Tanev's name go on the cup for Calgary?
Cambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:41 PM   #1024
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambardi View Post
A silly question maybe - But if Calgary made the playoffs and won Stanley Cup - Would Tanev's name go on the cup for Calgary?
Must have played, or have dressed as the backup goaltender, for at least one game of the Stanley Cup Finals for the championship team, AND: Must be on the roster when the team wins the Stanley Cup.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 01:48 PM   #1025
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I asked about Grushnikov and if he could be the next Regehr stay at home type.

The response was "not likely, he makes the easy play and can be sneaky dirty defending, he does the little stuff that pisses off people, more like Warrener with better wheels"

Maybe we have a new #44
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:54 PM   #1026
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I was considering it successful if they moved the 5 key players and they received 15 pieces in return. They have 8 prospects and draft picks out of the guys they moved and Kuzmenko who will probably bring another piece or two next year if moved. They probably get three pieces as well for Hanifin and Markstrom when they are moved. Basically in keeping with what I was hoping. Definitely a good job by Conroy.
The number of pieces is largely irrelevant, it's the quality of those pieces that matter.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:57 PM   #1027
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
So I asked about Grushnikov and if he could be the next Regehr stay at home type.

The response was "not likely, he makes the easy play and can be sneaky dirty defending, he does the little stuff that pisses off people, more like Warrener with better wheels"

Maybe we have a new #44
Which would be pretty good. Warrener was a decent defenseman.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:01 PM   #1028
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe we have a new #44
Regehr was an exceptionally talents stay at home dman. You won't find many like that. We need to temper our expectations of The Grusher. If he becomes a steady back end dman, we'll have made out just fine.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:08 PM   #1029
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I am fine with the return. Very whelmed. It was wishful thinking to expect a 1st rounder and/or a top prospect (LOL) coming back. If you are disappointed in not getting that, then that's on you for your expectations being so out of line for a 34 year old defensive D-man who is injury prone. GMs, scouts, other fans, other players, they all see the same things we do when it comes to Tanev. They all see him as a high risk for injury, but a solid defender when healthy. Scouts see him slouched on the bench after blocking a shot, or him hobbling to the locker room after a hit. Flames were playing with fire by holding onto Tanev as long as they did, and if he would have gotten injured on some stupid play, then we would get nothing in return. So let's not pretend the Flames got hosed.

I will forever remember Burke's stupid stance on not trading away Cammalleri for a low draft pick because he thought the Flames would get lowballed and laughed at. Conroy got something, and that's what matters. Never heard of the prospect coming our way, but willing to give him a chance.

Also, I don't think Tanev is signing against next summer. At his age he deserves to play on good teams and go on cup runs. He's not getting that here. For his own sake, I hope he stays away.

Onto the next UFA.
The only thing that not dealing Cammalleri preserved was Burke's fragile ego.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 02:16 PM   #1030
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Why? Because you don't? You think Conroy would lie about it? (why not just say something else)

Well first of all Conroy never actually said this (not publicly anyways) and secondly players that profile like Grushnkov almost never become full time NHL players and when they do, they are typically 6-7 defenseman.

If it’s true Conroy actually values him alone more than a first round pick then I’m seriously concerned about this organization’s ability to evaluate talent. Thankfully, like I said earlier I don’t actually believe it.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:21 PM   #1031
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I am fine with the return. Very whelmed. It was wishful thinking to expect a 1st rounder and/or a top prospect (LOL) coming back. If you are disappointed in not getting that, then that's on you for your expectations being so out of line for a 34 year old defensive D-man who is injury prone.
You seemed as excited as many others of the prospect of bigger returns.

What a time to be alive! Never thought I'd ever see the Flames in a position like this approaching the deadline, holding ALL the best cards. Conroy has already hit 1 home run, potentially 2-3 more to go. Unreal. Excited to see how the next few days play out.

Huntingwhale
Old 02-29-2024, 02:34 PM   #1032
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe we have a new #44
NVM, mixed up my players.
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 02:37 PM   #1033
musth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sure, Tree....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763063441109958978
Old 02-29-2024, 02:40 PM   #1034
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Also, not sure if this has been posted or if I can embed.

As a dad of a dman, these clips turn my crank. Hate that defencemen highlight reels are when they are either going end to end (usually being selfish idiots) or slappers from the point. Fine traits those are, but these show head on a swivel, sees the outlet before he even makes the defensive plays and has a really good stick. Regehr ain't and never had that stick, what he's doing in those clips. (Recognizing its just clips)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763017942965317912
He reminds me a lot of Tanev in those clips in how he moves and how he reads the play.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:40 PM   #1035
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musth View Post
Tre - Instead of two 5th round picks, I told Connie I'd throw in a 6th round pick, and a few paper clips.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:45 PM   #1036
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1763022097931276471

Figured I'd share this here. Nice snapshot of the Conroy era so far. And we'll be able to add Hanifin and his return to this list shortly.
That 2023 3rd has a name!
Old 02-29-2024, 02:46 PM   #1037
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Tre - Instead of two 5th round picks, I told Connie I'd throw in a 6th round pick, and a few paper clips.
And future considerations of course.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:46 PM   #1038
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Well first of all Conroy never actually said this (not publicly anyways) and secondly players that profile like Grushnkov almost never become full time NHL players and when they do, they are typically 6-7 defenseman.

If it’s true Conroy actually values him alone more than a first round pick then I’m seriously concerned about this organization’s ability to evaluate talent. Thankfully, like I said earlier I don’t actually believe it.
How do you possibly know what he "profiles like". Honestly, did you even know who this player was before the trade? And now you are saying you know more about him based on hockeydb stats?

I was hoping for more than we got, but to say you know more about this player than Conroy is kind of bonkers.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:47 PM   #1039
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Makes it even sweeter that Toronto lost out then, this is excellent news.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:51 PM   #1040
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
They thought they were in it but they weren't.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: