Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2022, 03:02 PM   #1021
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
How do you go from not getting sick for 3 years to getting sick 3 times in under 2 months?!
Enemy action.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #1022
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drivers and cyclists may never truly get along, but let us at least join forces in derision towards the biggest pest in our urban landscape today...the electric scooter rider.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 03:09 PM   #1023
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Drivers and cyclists may never truly get along, but let us at least join forces in derision towards the biggest pest in our urban landscape today...the electric scooter rider.
Pest for who? Cyclists only?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #1024
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Pest for who? Cyclists only?
Well in my experience it's also for vehicles. These scooters travel way faster (it seems) than cyclists so can come up on you unexpectedly if you are not watching closely. Especially in the bike lanes DT.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #1025
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What? No. Not true. Second, the cyclist should see a signal light if it's not a BMW.
In that case the cyclist is sneaking up even faster and trying to pass.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #1026
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
In that case the cyclist is sneaking up even faster and trying to pass.
You say that like it is a guarantee. Will some cyclists try that? Maybe. But most are smart enough to see a signal and not want to end up broadsiding a vehicle.

Like, I get turned in on all the time on the 7th st cycle track. I'm aware enoguh to know that is what they are about to do. Do I run into them to prove a point? No, that would be dumb.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #1027
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sore hip really grinds me gears.

I caught an edge last night playing beer league.

Stupid old fat UCB

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #1028
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My sore hip really grinds me gears.

I caught an edge last night playing beer league.

Stupid old fat UCB
Want me to take a look?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #1029
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Want me to take a look?

The worst part is my daughter also plays on the team (that part is wicked), but when she just came home from work I was washing dishes she walked by and nailed my in right on the sorest part of my hip.

I'm in pain, angry and proud.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #1030
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we're talking about driving and cycling what are the rules/right of way on that newer section of cycle track on 3rd Ave at 6th Street? It is a bit weird because west of 6th the track is on one side of the road but east of 6th the track splits to both sides of the road. Riding eastbound you have to cross the traffic lane to continue in the cycle track. Do cars yield to cyclists or cyclists to cars?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #1031
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OH F--K I totally forgot to share this. Saturday night, I was walking from the Stampede grounds to an area of downtown where cabs would be less of a nuisance to score for a ride home (Uber surge pricing GFY), and I'm walking ~20-25 feet behind this drunk French dude from Montréal. I assume this because he has a Habs logo tattooed on his left calf and he was speaking very standard francophone Quebecer-English earlier.

Anyway, walking westbound on 12 Ave SW coming up to the intersection across from Twisted Element, and I hear bike bells ringing. So I keep to the right of the sidewalk and about four of these f--king assh-les on scooters fly past me, and they're pinning it. French guy is relatively biased to the right side of the sidewalk, though he's drunk so he's not stuck to it although he is using whatever space he's entitled to as a person walking on a sidewalk would be anyway. One of these clowns on the scooter clip the side of this guy and he almost gets knocked on his ass, drops his phone, and they have the gall to start swearing at him to get out of the way. French guy loses his sh-t on them and if not for the fact that they sped away from him after hitting him, he'd probably have fought them.

Those scooters can kiss my ass.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #1032
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everybody knows all of that. Except strugglers.

I have missed this GS / Sliver banter. You two should antagonize each other more.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #1033
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have missed this GS / Sliver banter. You two should antagonize each other more.
It's a one-sided relationship

Old 07-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #1034
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Enemy action.
I knew it was Putin!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #1035
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Seemingly getting sick for the 3rd time since late May alone. So ridiculous.

To add to that, I'm a front line worker and didn't get sick even once during the entire height of the pandemic. How do you go from not getting sick for 3 years to getting sick 3 times in under 2 months?! Starting to really consider masking up again..
You know, I was wondering about this seeing as how something is ripping through my house now too.

The thing is, we have been so hyper-sensitive about hand washing and masking and isolating for so long...have we become more susceptible to 'run of the mill' ill?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #1036
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming home today crossing Memorial at 7th st, and there are goddamn scooters strewn about everywhere. What really got me though, is some stupid moron got paid to put a sign right in the middle of the sidewalk where you exit Memorial that says "no parking within 5m of crossing". Goddammit mother####er! Like, thanks for the sign to keep cars away from this so we have space to get across...by putting a sign right in the space we need. I picked it up and moved it 2 feet over. It was there yesterday, too.

Construction signs and barriers seem to be all over the place this year(not in purposeful use, just randomly scattered).
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:34 PM   #1037
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Anyway, walking westbound on 12 Ave SW coming up to the intersection across from Twisted Element, and I hear bike bells ringing. So I keep to the right of the sidewalk and about four of these f--king assh-les on scooters fly past me, and they're pinning it. French guy is relatively biased to the right side of the sidewalk, though he's drunk so he's not stuck to it although he is using whatever space he's entitled to as a person walking on a sidewalk would be anyway. One of these clowns on the scooter clip the side of this guy and he almost gets knocked on his ass, drops his phone, and they have the gall to start swearing at him to get out of the way. French guy loses his sh-t on them and if not for the fact that they sped away from him after hitting him, he'd probably have fought them.

Those scooters can kiss my ass.
I’m living in the Beltline for a few months, so bike across the 12th Ave cycletrack twice a day. So far, the scooters have been by far the biggest hazard to contend with. Cars, cyclists, pedestrians…all relatively predictable. The people riding the scooters though are all over the place...whether it’s inexperienced first-time rider weaving in and out of lanes, the oblivious packs who treat it like a rolling party, or like in your story, those riding aggressively without any regard for other’s safety.

I get why they are popular, and I think they can be a good transportation option for short/medium urban trips…but man, I’m starting to get why so many people hate them. You're just never sure what rider you will come across, which is what makes them annoying.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #1038
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's a one-sided relationship

You both need to work on this.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 05:31 PM   #1039
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Here's a good example in the aerial view: https://goo.gl/maps/do4z2F3wQQJHDEkX9

The red car has left the flow of traffic on 6th St and is making a right turn onto 13th Ave. The white car on 6th St is still in the flow of traffic and can continue moving south without concern. If a cyclist was also travelling south behind the red car, they could see the red car was occupying the curb lane and pass on the vehicle's left with the flow of traffic. If the cyclist tried to pass the red car on the right, the cyclist would be the idiot in this case.

On the other hand, if the red car was directly in front of the white car to make a right turn from the traffic lane, the curb lane would be open and a cyclist would have no reason to expect the driver to make a right turn in front of it. In that case, the driver would be in the wrong.

If you don't have a dedicated right turn lane, you should be as close as safely possible to the curb when making the turn (turning from one curb lane into the other before re-entering the flow of traffic after making the turn). If there are vehicles parked in the curb lane, they should be well back from the intersection itself, so you should move over to be as close to the curb as you can once you've passed the last parked car (of course, making sure there are no bikes on your right before doing so). This is one of many reasons why you shouldn't ever park too close to an intersection.
Using that image, the near incident would have happened when I was moving into the red car’s position after the parked cars (which were in marked spots so I assume they’re fine). As I went into the turning position, out of the straight line, the cyclist and I almost collided.

Maybe I’m just the jerk for not shoulder checking properly (I did signal, not an idiot) it it seems bizarre that a cyclist would attempt to pass vehicles on the right approach and intersection where vehicles are turning right and they’re going straight.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 09:37 PM   #1040
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Because at that point the cyclist is going faster than the car. You think it's bizarre and Fuzz said so above too. But its more common than you think. You cant shoulder check for a bike 100 feet behind you.