Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2023, 11:08 AM   #1021
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Draisaitl will ask for 15 and someone will give it to him. My guess? Chicago to play with Bedard.

McDavid I’m unsure if he stays, but I bet Edmonton is desperate enough to give 17.5 x 8. Or whatever the cap figure is times 20% (max offering).
They would, because without McDavid they're nothing. They'd have an identity crisis. Just an incompetently run roster full of overpaid mid players signed too long. They'd be harder to watch than these Flames during their worst stretch.

Hopefully Draisaitl strings them along then walks and they don't get a heap of assets for him. That would be the best case scenario. If that happens, then I actually don't think what happens with McDavid matters. They'll either overpay to extend him until the age where he's no longer a top player or he spurns them for greener pastures and it's identity crisis for the team that underachieved and failed for a full decade with him and they'll have to wear those horns.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:03 PM   #1022
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
McDavid made 15M in the first 2 years of his contract, He's down to 11 this year and 10 next year. I wonder if he's sour? This year he's paid, in actual dollars and not cap hit, less than 16 other guys including Timo Meir, Seth Jones, Ovie, Hamilton, and Roope Hintz.

He's going to ask for max cap hit at max actual salary.
I think the amount is less important to him than the destination is.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 12:29 PM   #1023
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Edmonton is his best shot at continuing winning individual awards which seems more important than championships to him. Most other teams would have other players to share a 2 minute powerplay with.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #1024
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Wonder Twins have any interest in winning a Cup, they'll do the smart thing and both move on from the Oilers, likely as early as next year.

However if all they care about are money and racking up McPP points, then I could see them staying, even with the knowledge that they'll never get remotely close to a championship.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:33 PM   #1025
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
I think the amount is less important to him than the destination is.
Money is always important. But I expect the two will combine. For example, in 2 years TB will have dropped Stamkos and Hedman's current deal will be done and he's 35 - if he extends it will be much less. And the Point, Kucherov and Sergachev contracts will be bargains by then. Kucherov will have one more year at $9.5. I wonder if they take a run.

The Kings could take a run at him too. That's right when Kopitar's deal ends.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:36 PM   #1026
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Money is always important. But I expect the two will combine. For example, in 2 years TB will have dropped Stamkos and Hedman's current deal will be done and he's 35 - if he extends it will be much less. And the Point, Kucherov and Sergachev contracts will be bargains by then. Kucherov will have one more year at $9.5. I wonder if they take a run.

I'm sure a lot of big market american teams will be maneuvering cap around in hopes to take a run at him. He will be the biggest player to hit free agency in decades and will become the highest paid player ever regardless of where he signs. Edmonton will have a lot of money after Draisaitl leaves and the carrot of the 8th year but it's hard to imagine him wanting to spend his career in Edmonton.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:46 PM   #1027
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Chicago as well
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:54 PM   #1028
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine that Edmonton trades McDavid the season before he becomes a UFA, so teams acquiring him can re-sign him to an 8 year deal.

Either way, Edmonton will get a haul for him. It is a real shame that Edmonton is terrible at both drafting and development though.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 02:23 PM   #1029
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

To have a better than 50% chance of making playoffs EDM will have to go 29-16-7. Beat Devils 6-3, playoff odds up 1.8 to 24.3%.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...ic/Oilers.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 02:40 PM   #1030
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think if the Oilers trade Draisaitl, McDavid is not re-signing. I don't think Draisaitl wants to stay in Edmonton his entire career, when he could be a big man in a US city somewhere.

Also, why would they want to stay. They will get paid huge dollars wherever they go.

The Oilers now have traded their future. Their AHL team is at the bottom. They have no one at the World Junior Championships. Their best prospects are heading to bustville (Holloway, Broberg). They have big money tied up in declining players (The Tenderness, Hymen, Nurse). If either of their stars ever want to win, they need to leave this sinking ship.

I could see the Oilers playing it out with Draisaitl like the Flames did with Gaudreau. If they move him, the fans blame the team for the breakup. If they give him another playoff, and then try to sign him until the bitter end, the blame goes on Draisaitl for breaking up this magical era of Oiler hockey.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 03:15 PM   #1031
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Oilers bit the bullet and traded them both to different teams they could likely set themselves up quite well for the next decade and possibly beyond. Imagine going into a rebuild with the haul that those two could bring. They could likely attach a couple of bad contracts to one or both of them too and get themselves out from under those.

Their fanbase would lose their friggin' minds! That part would be glorious.

I can't even fathom it ever happening but it could be an interesting talking point and theoretical exercise.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 03:52 PM   #1032
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

They hit their peak two years ago and they’ll never be as good again in eternity.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 03:58 PM   #1033
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
If the Oilers bit the bullet and traded them both to different teams they could likely set themselves up quite well for the next decade and possibly beyond. Imagine going into a rebuild with the haul that those two could bring. They could likely attach a couple of bad contracts to one or both of them too and get themselves out from under those.

I can't even fathom it ever happening but it could be an interesting talking point and theoretical exercise.
True, imagine how good they will be in the future if they tank for 4 1st overall picks.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 04:30 PM   #1034
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post

A different franchise could use these two as the catalyst for a great team. The Oilers? They would mostly draft the wrong guys. When they drafted the right guys, they would ruin them in development. The young guys would be rushed in and not taught any defense. They would vastly overpay anyone that looked pretty good, to negate their value. Their goalies would be thrown to the wolves until they completely lose their confidence. We know this because of simple math: E=ng.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #1035
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
They would, because without McDavid they're nothing. They'd have an identity crisis. Just an incompetently run roster full of overpaid mid players signed too long. They'd be harder to watch than these Flames during their worst stretch.

Hopefully Draisaitl strings them along then walks and they don't get a heap of assets for him. That would be the best case scenario. If that happens, then I actually don't think what happens with McDavid matters. They'll either overpay to extend him until the age where he's no longer a top player or he spurns them for greener pastures and it's identity crisis for the team that underachieved and failed for a full decade with him and they'll have to wear those horns.
The Oilers are delusional so what happened with Gaudreau will happen twice over with McDrai. They won’t believe either of them will refuse to extend and they won’t act until too late. And if you thought Gaudreau was wispy washy about staying or going, wait until you see McDavid.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 06:24 PM   #1036
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
To have a better than 50% chance of making playoffs EDM will have to go 29-16-7. Beat Devils 6-3, playoff odds up 1.8 to 24.3%.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...ic/Oilers.html
And that third period against the Devils of 4 goals on 6 shots is totally sustainable.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 06:29 PM   #1037
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
I think Edmonton is his best shot at continuing winning individual awards which seems more important than championships to him. Most other teams would have other players to share a 2 minute powerplay with.
This isn't true at all. I hate McDavid as much as the next guy but he really wants to win. Everything I have heard through the rumour mill is the Oilers keep trying to find ways to placate him because they are afraid he is going to bolt as a UFA and that fear is justified. I have heard he doesn't think he can win a SC in Edmonton, his fiance is not a fan of the city, there are not the marketing dollars he could make in the US, and he doesn't like the fishbowl atmosphere there either. No matter how much they offer him I don't see any way Connor McDavid extends in Edmonton. Draisaitl on the other hand I have no read on at all. I wonder when they both said "Cup or bust" at the beginning of the year if that was there way of saying win a Cup now because this is it for us. If I was the Oilers I would eat the backlash and trade McDavid, you might be able to overpay Leon to stay and be the face of the team but McDavid is outta there.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 06:29 PM   #1038
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Oilers are delusional so what happened with Gaudreau will happen twice over with McDrai. They won’t believe either of them will refuse to extend and they won’t act until too late. And if you thought Gaudreau was wispy washy about staying or going, wait until you see McDavid.
I'll bet on it happening once.

One of them will be nice and give them a heads up, which won't matter because they'll botch the trade somehow. I'd bank on that being McDavid. Drai seems like exactly the type of guy to Gaudreau them, but without the remorse.

They're both be vilified as soon as they leave, as Bumonton again shows its true colours. It will be jilted lover vibes up there for years.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 12-22-2023 at 06:37 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 06:38 PM   #1039
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
This isn't true at all. I hate McDavid as much as the next guy but he really wants to win. Everything I have heard through the rumour mill is the Oilers keep trying to find ways to placate him because they are afraid he is going to bolt as a UFA and that fear is justified. I have heard he doesn't think he can win a SC in Edmonton, his fiance is not a fan of the city, there are not the marketing dollars he could make in the US, and he doesn't like the fishbowl atmosphere there either. No matter how much they offer him I don't see any way Connor McDavid extends in Edmonton. Draisaitl on the other hand I have no read on at all. I wonder when they both said "Cup or bust" at the beginning of the year if that was there way of saying win a Cup now because this is it for us. If I was the Oilers I would eat the backlash and trade McDavid, you might be able to overpay Leon to stay and be the face of the team but McDavid is outta there.
Looking forward to the Oiler fans hypocrisy on McDavid the player if/when McDavid bolts.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 07:12 PM   #1040
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Wasn't there an Oilers executive who told a player to choose the team over his marriage? I vaguely recall the incident, but the names escape me.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote