Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #1021
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One more post on articles i found online. First, Gizmodo's take on lack of multi-tasking on 3G/old iPod Touches. They speculate lack of ram (which makes sense).
http://gizmodo.com/5513828/the-reaso...ones-and-ipods

Also, the iPad dashboard looks neat, but it was rejected by Apple. Developers can download and add it manually. I kinda wish Apple built in something like this natively.

http://gizmodo.com/5513525/ipad-dash...ser-experience
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #1022
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
Also, the iPad dashboard looks neat, but it was rejected by Apple. Developers can download and add it manually. I kinda wish Apple built in something like this natively.

http://gizmodo.com/5513525/ipad-dash...ser-experience
I've never really understood the push for widgets on the iPad. When you think about it, the apps themselves are pretty much widgets. Mind you, I never really liked them on my Macs, either. Same with the gadgets or whatever MS calls them.

I'm all for adding new stuffs, but I just don't get the need for a weather widget, when I get the same info (and more) from a weather app. The guy in the video had a calculator widget... what's wrong with the calculator app on the home screen?

Edit: I guess that's probably what Apple meant by "it contradicts the iPad experience."
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #1023
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't get what's so bad about dashboard and widgets. TV's have 'em these days, for Pete's sake. With many things, even if I disagree with Apple, I can at least see where they're coming from. Not this though.

Edit: I do agree a calculator widget is silly.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #1024
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think I'm going to just start automatically ignoring posters who use the word fanboy. Same with ###### bag. Never been fond of that either. What exactly is so descriptive about calling someone a bag of water?

Anyway, I digress.
Fanboy isn't always necessarily used in a negative sense. Fanboy is just easier to type than fan, aficionado, or supporter who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking and enthusiasm for Apple products.

Quote:
PS: I don't know which Apple forums you're hanging out in, but as far as I can remember, the only people in this thread who have tried to compare the iPad to a laptop are the ones who were trying to use that as an excuse for why the iPad sucked.
There's plenty people out there that were saying the iPad was much more than it was. Some online, some people I know in real life and some tech columnists.
Example? Why yes, of course:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/56514
Quote:
iPad is a Kindle, netbook, tablet PC and (to some degree) low end laptop killer. The iPad is also a viable alternative to laptop use in many situations.
Usually when something is billed as a xyz-killer, it should at the very minimum be able to do what xyz can. The iPad fails miserably at this test. Like I said, it's not Apple that released these types of statements so I can't really fault them but there were enough of this type of hype around to get me interested in one by thinking it could do something it definitely couldn't and wasn't designed to.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #1025
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
Usually when something is billed as a xyz-killer, it should at the very minimum be able to do what xyz can. The iPad fails miserably at this test. Like I said, it's not Apple that released these types of statements so I can't really fault them but there were enough of this type of hype around to get me interested in one by thinking it could do something it definitely couldn't and wasn't designed to.
Did you really just quote a line from some random article that says that the iPad is... and I quote again... "a Kindle, netbook, tablet PC and (to some degree) low end laptop killer?" That's your basis for all of this?

Dude.

Edit: Never mind. I just googled "iPad laptop killer" and that was the first article that came up, so I see what you did there.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-10-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #1026
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've never really understood the push for widgets on the iPad. When you think about it, the apps themselves are pretty much widgets. Mind you, I never really liked them on my Macs, either. Same with the gadgets or whatever MS calls them.

I'm all for adding new stuffs, but I just don't get the need for a weather widget, when I get the same info (and more) from a weather app. The guy in the video had a calculator widget... what's wrong with the calculator app on the home screen?

Edit: I guess that's probably what Apple meant by "it contradicts the iPad experience."
I just want a better home screen, and think widgets would be a good way to do it. On my mac, i have the weather widget, gmail, NHL scores and a couple other things. I think i'd be nice to have all that info at a quick glance without having to open up 3 or 4 full apps.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #1027
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Actually yeah, I guess I can see your point.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #1028
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fanboy isn't always necessarily used in a negative sense. Fanboy is just easier to type than fan, aficionado, or supporter who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking and enthusiasm for Apple products.

There's plenty people out there that were saying the iPad was much more than it was. Some online, some people I know in real life and some tech columnists.

valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #1029
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Fanboy isn't always necessarily used in a negative sense. Fanboy is just easier to type than fan ... who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking and enthusiasm for Apple products.
Clear it up any?
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #1030
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
Clear it up any?
Nope.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #1031
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It's how defensive you are about this that makes it fun for people to goad you into it. Just understand that a lot of people don't like the ipad. You don't have to keep defending it or your own interest in it or Apple products.

It's the same on many other forums with different things from videocards to muscle cars to religion. People have a lot of brand loyalty in this world along with stubborness and conceptions. Everybody wants to believe that the things they choose to spend money and time on are the very best and right things in the world while others will think it is a total waste of time and money. People take things too personally.

When I say that Apple is overpriced and evil, it means that Apple is overpriced and evil for me. It may not be for you. It's a criticism of Apple, not you. This is sort of like that guy who would do nothing but talk about how Lady Gaga was so awesome while most others didn't care. I've given up defending the things I like on the internet. You are fortunate in the fact that Apple products at least, are very popular. The things that I actually like, I rarely find anybody who knows what I am talking about or share my interests since I instinctually steer myself away from anything I consider to be popular so I don't even bother.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-11-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #1032
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's how defensive you are about this that makes it fun for people to goad you into it. Just understand that a lot of people don't like the ipad. You don't have to keep defending it or your own interest in it or Apple products.

It's the same on many other forums with different things from videocards to muscle cars to religion. People have a lot of brand loyalty in this world along with stubborness and conceptions. Everybody wants to believe that the things they choose to spend money and time on are the very best and right things in the world while others will think it is a total waste of time and money. People take things too personally.

When I say that Apple is overpriced and evil, it means that Apple is overpriced and evil for me. It may not be for you. It's a criticism of Apple, not you. This is sort of like that guy who would do nothing but talk about how Lady Gaga was so awesome while most others didn't care. I've given up defending the things I like on the internet. You are fortunate in the fact that Apple products at least, are very popular. The things that I actually like, I rarely find anybody who knows what I am talking about or share my interests since I instinctually steer myself away from anything I consider to be popular so I don't even bother.

I've never totally understood the whole avoiding whats popular to the point of being militant. I mean if you like something, why should it matter if it is popular?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #1033
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't have a problem with people not liking something I like. What I do have a problem with is people getting in my face about it and then insulting me when I tell them I don't appreciate it. That doesn't make me a fanboy. It makes me a human being.

What about baseball? I can't stand baseball and every time I hear someone refer to a pro baseball player as an "athlete" I want to stab myself in the eye. It's the fakest sport on the planet, played by disgustingly rich steroid junkies. You don't think I'd love to stick my nose into every baseball thread on this board and share my wonderful opinions with everyone else there?

You know why I don't? Because I'm not an a$$hole.

What makes people like you think that, in order to use something I like, I have to first listen to you tell me how much it sucks?

Edit: Also, don't ever think that just because I'm the only person who speaks his mind on these things, that I'm the only one here who cares. I get PMs from people almost daily who tell me how they wish people would just stfu and stay out of Apple threads.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-11-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #1034
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have a problem with people not liking something I like. What I do have a problem with is people getting in my face about it and then insulting me when I tell them I don't appreciate it. That doesn't make me a fanboy. It makes me a human being.

What about baseball? I can't stand baseball and every time I hear someone refer to a pro baseball player as an "athlete" I want to stab myself in the eye. It's the fakest sport on the planet, played by disgustingly rich steroid junkies. You don't think I'd love to stick my nose into every baseball thread on this board and share my wonderful opinions with everyone else there?

You know why I don't? Because I'm not an a$$hole.

What makes people like you think that, in order to use something I like, I have to first listen to you tell me how much it sucks?

Edit: Also, don't ever think that just because I'm the only person who speaks his mind on these things, that I'm the only one here who cares. I get PMs from people almost daily who tell me how they wish people would just stfu and stay out of Apple threads.
That's a good analogy. I also hate baseball with a passion yet I don't have the same urge to go into baseball threads and talk about it for some reason. I will STFU and stay out of this thread.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #1035
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

...this is the part where I always feel like a jerk.

For the record, I don't mean anything personal. I'm just very tired of having to defend myself for liking something. If I came in over the top, I apologize.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #1036
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Did he just compare Apple to Lady Gaga

Back to the topic at hand, I just got shipment notification for my iPad!!!!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #1037
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Did he just compare Apple to Lady Gaga

Back to the topic at hand, I just got shipment notification for my iPad!!!!
Super jealous

Hope Canadian website allows orders soon
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #1038
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Did you really just quote a line from some random article that says that the iPad is... and I quote again... "a Kindle, netbook, tablet PC and (to some degree) low end laptop killer?" That's your basis for all of this?

Dude.

Edit: Never mind. I just googled "iPad laptop killer" and that was the first article that came up, so I see what you did there.
Yea, might not have been the method to find the BEST example article but it was sure the fastest way to find one.

Despite the fact that it's not the ideal article to prove the point, the point still stands. He bills it flat out as a netbook killer. This would lead me to assume it would be able to do everything that a netbook can and then some which I think everyone can agree is not the case.

Also, what's the difference between a netbook's functionality and a low-end laptop's functionality? It has a CD drive. Being able to run slightly more processor intensive software. That's really all I can think of off the top of my head... So if it's a netbook killer and in most cases a low end laptop killer again, it should stand to reason it can do everything a netbook can and some of those features that a laptop has but a netbook doesn't. Again, not the case.

Anyway... stuff like this, of which there are many other examples, is why I had a misconception of what the iPad was capable of. It's not a criticism of you (unless your day job is being a shoddy tech journalist) or anyone on this forum or even Apple so there's no real need to continue an argument on it.

Last edited by Phaneuf3; 04-12-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #1039
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #1040
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Need another reason to buy the iPad?

Only for you Star Trek fans.