Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 11:03 AM   #1001
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The jabs between Friedman and Bieksa last night seemed a bit personal. And Friedman even said something about Bieksa after the panel when he appeared later that evening (not about being a fanboy but something else). Maybe they just don’t like each other.
It's a pretty common situation where the veteran who had to work for it and pay their dues resents the newbie it comes easy for. Bieksa's a natural, whereas Friedman worked his whole career for this.

Pretty unprofessional for that kind of petty stuff to come up on air but that's my theory at least.

Also I have no idea what Luke Gazdic is doing on the panel. He doesn't contribute anything of note. Guy has 8 points and played a single season with McDavid so Sportsnet thought he was qualified to go on national TV?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:06 AM   #1002
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Absolutely love the Greaser hate in here, I'm still beaming after last night LOL.

One question: How come some fellow Grease haters in here refer to them as "the Oil"? I lived in EDM long enough to know that's the beloved pet name Oiler fans call their team. It sounds like you're a Grease fan when you call them that, just FYI.

Thank you for your time..
It's similar to the Leafs, Nucks, Habs, Sens, etc. When you have to type it you want it over with as quick as possible.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:08 AM   #1003
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
It's a pretty common situation where the veteran who had to work for it and pay their dues resents the newbie it comes easy for. Bieksa's a natural, whereas Friedman worked his whole career for this.

Pretty unprofessional for that kind of petty stuff to come up on air but that's my theory at least.
I forget what was said but they were throwing around broadcast terms like Bieksa needed to learn them. But Bieksa's not that new at this point. It's been 4 years now. Longer than Botteril.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #1004
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also I have no idea what Luke Gazdic is doing on the panel. He doesn't contribute anything of note. Guy has 8 points and played a single season with McDavid so Sportsnet thought he was qualified to go on national TV?
He was blessed by the hand of McDavid.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:13 AM   #1005
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I agree that it was shocking - and it was unprofessional.

My read on it was that Bieksa has probably been pointing out to Friedman and McLean how biased they have been towards the Oilers all season. And Friedman rebutted that last night. Difference is: Friedman did it on camera, and directly. Very unprofessional, and I would imagine they discussed it afterwards. Friedman directly attacked Bieksa's professionalism, on camera.
Yeah I noticed it too.

Pretty hypocritical of Elliotte who's shamelessly been oilers-slanted in about every broadcast despite priding himself on being mr. objective reporter

Bieksa has simply been a voice of reason on a panel dominated by favoritism and ogling over McDavid to an extent that they gloss over the blemishes of the oilers and downplay the strengths of other teams.

Calling him the resident canuck fan is an exaggeration to say the least and projecting their own warts onto him.

Bieksa's reaction to that assertion was like "really, on air?" It was awkward.

Half of that panel needed to retire like, yesterday.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:14 AM   #1006
4th Line Goon
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I was thinking about how this must look to Canuck fans and how weird it would seem. Canuck fans love their team as much as Flames fans love theirs, but they don't really have a team that they loathe just as much as they love theirs. An Oilers loss feels almost as good as a Flames win to me. It would be nice if it didn't have to be the Canucks this time, but so be it.
I'm a Canucks fan and yes, it does feel a little weird.

I've seen some people in here say at least this version of the Canucks is somewhat likable. I appreciate that and I agree. I didn't much care for the 2011 version either, mainly because of the diving. I would have almost preferred that we don't dive and lose with honour, rather than diving and winning with little honour. As it turned out we dived and we still lost. The worst outcome, at least for me personally.

I much preferred the underdog 1994 team. That was a team one could get behind.

Bottom line, and speaking only for myself, I appreciate you guys but I know the love affair will end by the time next season comes around. Hell, I would be disappointed if things didn't go down like that. For now, I'll just enjoy the fact that the Canucks are receiving a lot more love from all over the NHL than they did in 2011.
4th Line Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 4th Line Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:16 AM   #1007
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

See, now if this guy starts trolling or abruptly disappears after a loss never to be seen again, you can make fun of him for disappearing.

Also, Bieksa and Friedman are friends. Stop being dense, you sausages.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:18 AM   #1008
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Silov is not good. Luckily Skinner is even worse.
Yep for sure watching this game most of what I saw was some really mediocre to downright poor goaltending. Silov looks like he is on a slippy slide and leaves 3/4 of the net open. Skinner just sucks.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:23 AM   #1009
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Absolutely love the Greaser hate in here, I'm still beaming after last night LOL.

One question: How come some fellow Grease haters in here refer to them as "the Oil"? I lived in EDM long enough to know that's the beloved pet name Oiler fans call their team. It sounds like you're a Grease fan when you call them that, just FYI.

Thank you for your time..
I love watching the highlights and looking at the grins on all the happy Oiler faces after the Ceci and Hyman goals...

Just knowing whats coming.

Yeah boys...yuk it up...all smiles...banging the glass, huge cellies boys!!!

Remember this moment boys....because I know whats coming next.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:24 AM   #1010
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
See, now if this guy starts trolling or abruptly disappears after a loss never to be seen again, you can make fun of him for disappearing.

Is a sausage dense?
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:26 AM   #1011
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsor_pilates View Post
is a sausage dense?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-09-2024, 11:29 AM   #1012
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Goon View Post
Bottom line, and speaking only for myself, I appreciate you guys but I know the love affair will end by the time next season comes around. Hell, I would be disappointed if things didn't go down like that. For now, I'll just enjoy the fact that the Canucks are receiving a lot more love from all over the NHL than they did in 2011.
LOL - this guy thinks it's going to last 1 second beyond this playoff round...

The Canucks and their fans suck donkey balls.

It's just that the Oilers suck more. It's a purely binary choice for the next 2 weeks.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:38 AM   #1013
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Is there a clip of the panel disagreement between Bieksa and Friedman.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:40 AM   #1014
4th Line Goon
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
LOL - this guy thinks it's going to last 1 second beyond this playoff round...

The Canucks and their fans suck donkey balls.

It's just that the Oilers suck more. It's a purely binary choice for the next 2 weeks.
And here I thought I was being very diplomatic - kind even.

Unlike you, I'm not prone to gross generalizations. I know of only one Flames fan who can go suck donkey balls.

Last edited by 4th Line Goon; 05-09-2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:43 AM   #1015
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Goon View Post
I know of only one Flames fan who can go suck donkey balls.

Which one?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-09-2024, 11:44 AM   #1016
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If you think Bieksa is a natural, go listen to the Podcast him & Kesler tried to start (& no one would buy) where they both, uh, like, totally, you know, sound like Valley Girls.

Bieksa has benefited immensely from media training.

His relationship with Friedman is likely reciprocal. Kevin provides Elliotte with actual hockey knowledge & Friedman with how to convey it effectively.

However at the end of the day, Elliotte is clueless about the actual game & how it’s played at the NHL level because he hasn’t had enough actual quality reps watching, analyzing, and interpreting video as a player or professional coach.

He rarely forms an original thought about the game, and when he does it’s usually wrong.

Him & Marek go which way the wind blows.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:45 AM   #1017
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I agree that it was shocking - and it was unprofessional.

My read on it was that Bieksa has probably been pointing out to Friedman and McLean how biased they have been towards the Oilers all season. And Friedman rebutted that last night. Difference is: Friedman did it on camera, and directly. Very unprofessional, and I would imagine they discussed it afterwards. Friedman directly attacked Bieksa's professionalism, on camera.
but what's wrong with being a canucks fan boy tho? he's an alumni who played there for many years. its the same way on ESPN - Wayne cheers for the Oilers, Hank cheers for the Rangers etc. Messier cheers for both Oilers and Rangers.

NBA on TNT - Shaq cheers for the Lakers... I mean all this stuff is pretty common and I think authentic. Personally, I like it.

I think maybe in the US because alumni associations are a way bigger deal like college etc. its kinda like a lifetime gig.
InternationalVillager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:46 AM   #1018
4th Line Goon
Draft Pick

Quote:
Which one?
The guy with a mouthful of donkey balls.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:52 AM   #1019
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
but what's wrong with being a canucks fan boy tho? he's an alumni who played there for many years. its the same way on ESPN - Wayne cheers for the Oilers, Hank cheers for the Rangers etc.

NBA on TNT - Shaq cheers for the Lakers... I mean all this stuff is pretty common and I think authentic. Personally, I like it.
Bieksa isn't even that bad of a homer IMO. I think he may have taken it up a notch lately just to counter the obvious Oilers bias on the rest of the panel, but he seemed pretty balanced before this series.

When he first joined the crew, I was dreading having a Canucks alumni working Flames games, but he was more professional and fair than I thought he would be. I say good on him for trying to keep the rest of the panel honest at this point and calling out their Oilers bias.

I really don't like Friedman that much, even going back to his days on the Score. He comes off as kind of pretentious and snooty.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:53 AM   #1020
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How do you even know their interpersonal relationship?

Colleagues and friends look pretty similar over social media and of course they're going to say that, but you can't really confirm that without knowing them.

At the end of the day it is a game and these guys who are handsomely paid for hanging out and chatting about it recognize that.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote