Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #1001
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 23 minutes ago
Jay Bruce is coming up in trade talks still. Blue Jays could be a possibility.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 4 minutes ago
Jays are said to like Jay Bruce very much. Word is, deal could be in works.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #1002
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the replace one of Encarnation or Bautista?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #1003
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope everyone enjoys this year because this organization is headed for a painful end to the decade IMO. Nothing in the cupboard, cheap owners and two of our best hitters are likley gone within a year. I wonder how long Donaldson will want to stick around once the dominos start falling?
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #1004
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal now6 seconds ago
Sources confirm: #BlueJays trying to acquire #Reds’ Bruce.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #1005
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I hope everyone enjoys this year because this organization is headed for a painful end to the decade IMO. Nothing in the cupboard, cheap owners and two of our best hitters are likley gone within a year. I wonder how long Donaldson will want to stick around once the dominos start falling?
About as long as he is under team control.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #1006
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jay Bruce is signed thru 2016, 6 yrs/$51M & 17 team option. Looks to be $8.5m for this year.

Edit.. Wrong figure.

Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB 13 seconds ago
Jay Bruce would be an upgrade but not sure I understand the logic of adding a piece in LF. 12.5 million in '16, option at 13M for '17.

Last edited by jschick88; 02-22-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #1007
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Does the replace one of Encarnation or Bautista?
I hope he's not replacing either of them. He hasn't had a very good season since 2013. I'd be more than happy if they were acquiring him to fill the hole in LF, but with the Jays, we all know that's not the case and they'll go with the cheap option of Pompey/Saunders/Alford.

Wonder what they would have to give up? They have next to no prospects left, and Alford should be untouchable.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #1008
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1 minute ago
Source: Bruce deal, if it happens, could involve 3rd team, and that team could get Saunders from #BlueJays. Saunders earning $2.9M in 2016.

Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi 1 minute ago
#BlueJays tried to get Jay Bruce in 3-team deal that fell through recently, per source. @JonHeyman @Ken_Rosenthal report Jays still on him

Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
Jay Bruce had #BlueJays on no-trade list, but is said to be willing to head north. OF due $12.5m in '16, option for '17 at $13m w/ $1m b.o.

Last edited by jschick88; 02-22-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #1009
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1 minute ago
Source: Bruce deal, if it happens, could involve 3rd team, and that team could get Saunders from #BlueJays. Saunders earning $2.9M in 2016.
That would make me some kind of happy, but you don't get Bruce for Saunders which scares me that Alford is in play.

I think the writting is on the wall for Bautista if they acquire Bruce. He'll be moved for pitching help at the deadline if they are in contention or for prospects if they are not.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #1010
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
3-way trade has legs. As said, Bruce to Jays, Saunders to angels
Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #1011
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jay Bruce?

Can't say I'm massively familiar with him but from what I've read in the past, I do not believe many will be a fan of this. Let's wait and see what is outgoing, and what the scope is for this deal.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #1012
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is Bruce a 40 HR guy at Rogers Center? Maybe!

Still a perplexing deal if it goes through. Unwilling to spend money on pitching or a proper lead-off, but adding even more power to a roster that already has the most power in baseball. As I mentioned above, the Jays must really not like Bautista's number he's given them.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #1013
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
That would make me some kind of happy, but you don't get Bruce for Saunders which scares me that Alford is in play.

I think the writting is on the wall for Bautista if they acquire Bruce. He'll be moved for pitching help at the deadline if they are in contention or for prospects if they are not.
Unfortunately with his quotes today I think the writing is most definetly on the wall that Bautista's time as a Jay is on the clock. with them having Tulo, Donaldson and Martin all do big $ over the next few years and some talent coming up I can't see the Jays committing big money to bautista for the next 4-5 years. Not sure it makes sense too either.

I can't see how it would cost Alford, who I agree should be untouchable, considering by taking Bruce's contract you are doing the Reds a bit of a favor.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #1014
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Jay Bruce?

Can't say I'm massively familiar with him but from what I've read in the past, I do not believe many will be a fan of this. Let's wait and see what is outgoing, and what the scope is for this deal.
Never lives up to his draft hype. That said, has a lot of pop in his bat. Consistent 25-30 hr hitter. Below average hitter with a declining OBP.

That said, he doesn't have the draft hype to compare him to in Toronto and his contract is relatively good value given his HR/RBI totals. I'd take him on the Jays for sure if we aren't giving up anything and Rogers is strangely willing to increase their budget by 6 million.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #1015
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Unfortunately with his quotes today I think the writing is most definetly on the wall that Bautista's time as a Jay is on the clock. with them having Tulo, Donaldson and Martin all do big $ over the next few years and some talent coming up I can't see the Jays committing big money to bautista for the next 4-5 years. Not sure it makes sense too either.

I can't see how it would cost Alford, who I agree should be untouchable, considering by taking Bruce's contract you are doing the Reds a bit of a favor.
I can't see the Jays giving up Alford, I just can't possibly see who else they would trade as all their other prospects are gone. If they get Bruce for just Saunders, that's a pretty serious windfall for the Jays in my opinion.

I just find it really funny that they will spend some extra cash on a position they don't really have a current need for when they could have more productively spent it on pitching or lead-off/speed.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #1016
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that OBP is not good.

Career high of 34 HR. 28 years old but stats in decline.

Hitters ballpark could cancel out the decline and he could have a useful season or two, who knows.

What is more concerning is the likely implications of this, which are bye bye Jose after this year. No way would we add this much money to the OF is there was any thought of paying for Bautista.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #1017
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is however endearing that the Yankees and Red Sox are on his no-trade list, that's refreshing to see.

Jay Bruce's no-trade list:
1. Yankees
2. Red Sox
3. Athletics
4. Rays
5. Marlins
6. Twins
7. Indians
8. Diamondbacks
Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #1018
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that OBP is not good.

Career high of 34 HR. 28 years old but stats in decline.

Hitters ballpark could cancel out the decline and he could have a useful season or two, who knows.

What is more concerning is the likely implications of this, which are bye bye Jose after this year. No way would we add this much money to the OF is there was any thought of paying for Bautista.
Yup, Bautista is as good as gone. Rogers clearly didn't like his perceived value of himself, and him standing on his soapbox today telling everyone what was going to happen has sped up the process. I don't think he finishes the year in Toronto regardless of their playoff position.

Still think that isn't news Roof-Daddy?

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-22-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #1019
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It is however endearing that the Yankees and Red Sox are on his no-trade list, that's refreshing to see.

Jay Bruce's no-trade list:
1. Yankees
2. Red Sox
3. Athletics
4. Rays
5. Marlins
6. Twins
7. Indians
8. Diamondbacks
Jays are on it as well, but he's apparently willing to move it to come north according to Ken Rosenthal.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #1020
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Jays are on it as well, but he's apparently willing to move it to come north according to Ken Rosenthal.
It sounds like the Jays were at one point, but that 8 team list is his most updated (probably adjusted after last season).

Also, Stoeten weighs in on Bruce:
http://thebluejaysnation.com/2016/2/...rading-for-him