Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #1001
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Something doesn't jive here. If you have to floor it to get through the light, you're not having to slam on your brakes in order to stop for it.

Also, we should know where the yellow light cams are? Are there huge signs I'm not aware of?
Yes there are huge signs.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #1002
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Yes there are huge signs.
Never seen one before (except for the "Radar Patrolled" signs that are never near any traffic lights). The only way I know where red light cams are is by being caught by them before or by physically seeing the camera.

Either way, if your only choices when approaching a yellow light is to floor it to get through or to slam on your brakes, you're doing driving wrong. If you are the second car behind someone approaching a yellow and YOu floor it to try and force them to floor it and then YOU end up having to slam on your brakes while the person ahead of you eased to a stop, you are the doosh.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #1003
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Never seen one before (except for the "Radar Patrolled" signs that are never near any traffic lights). The only way I know where red light cams are is by being caught by them before or by physically seeing the camera.
Before any intersection that has red light and or speed cameras, there are huge signs. Pretty easy to spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #1004
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I should take a look for these signs.

Doesn't change the doosh scenario.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #1005
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Either way, if your only choices when approaching a yellow light is to floor it to get through or to slam on your brakes, you're doing driving wrong. If you are the second car behind someone approaching a yellow and YOu floor it to try and force them to floor it and then YOU end up having to slam on your brakes while the person ahead of you eased to a stop, you are the doosh.
I'm not the one slamming on my brakes; strugglers are. They're the ones that are GingMGs. And who would floor it behind somebody who is slamming on their brakes? You would rear end them. What are you even talking about?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #1006
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well I should take a look for these signs.

Doesn't change the doosh scenario.
Yes, but keep in mind the doosh scenario was a complete figment of your imagination.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #1007
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asking someone to floor it to get through a yellow kind of flies in face of what the yellow light actually means. It is proceed with caution and you're not supposed to have to apply any gas in order to get through.

It's not "OMFG ITS YELLOW GET THROUGH AAAAAHH"

Yes I have a vivid imagination. I can imagine your avatar sitting behind that guy at the red light fuming.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #1008
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
People who unnecessarily stop at yellow lights. Floor it you GD p***ies.

I'm not talking about when there is a yellow light camera (you should know where those are) or if traffic is waiting to turn left in front of your lane; I'm talking about situations where it is perfectly safe and reasonable to let a few more cars through the intersection without affecting anybody, but some struggler slams on his brakes.
Quote:
Asking someone to floor it to get through a yellow kind of flies in face of what the yellow light actually means. It is proceed with caution and you're not supposed to have to apply any gas in order to get through.

It's not "OMFG ITS YELLOW GET THROUGH AAAAAHH"

Yes I have a vivid imagination. I can imagine your avatar sitting behind that guy at the red light fuming.
From Transportation Alberta:

Quote:
SOLID YELLOW LIGHT:

When a green light changes to yellow, it warns that the light will change to red
immediately and drivers must prepare to stop or clear the intersection. Drivers
approaching an intersection with a solid (not flashing) yellow traffic control light must bring their vehicles to a complete stop before the stop line or crosswalk, unless a point has been reached at the intersection where stopping cannot be done safely. If there is no stop line or crosswalk, vehicles must stop before the intersection. Drivers already in the intersection and facing a yellow light must safely clear the intersection.
No, it does not mean floor it, speed up, yield, proceed with caution, or anything else. If you are approaching a yellow light, you stop if you can do so safely. It almost acts as a red light. If you cannot stop safely, you continue through. If you are already in the intersection you clear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #1009
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
From Transportation Alberta:

No, it does not mean floor it, speed up, yield, proceed with caution, or anything else. If you are approaching a yellow light, you stop if you can do so safely. It almost acts as a red light. If you cannot stop safely, you continue through. If you are already in the intersection you clear it.
Yes, I know that's the rule. But in practical terms it helps the flow of traffic to just go through if it's not going to negatively affect anybody else. Maybe you enjoy waiting around for a five minute light cycle, but I have better things to do. I'm not talking about running red lights. I'm saying if the light is yellow and you could either go or stop, just go.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #1010
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I know that's the rule. But in practical terms it helps the flow of traffic to just go through if it's not going to negatively affect anybody else. Maybe you enjoy waiting around for a five minute light cycle, but I have better things to do. I'm not talking about running red lights. I'm saying if the light is yellow and you could either go or stop, just go.

Oh god, 5 full minutes.......oh the humanity.....
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #1011
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How does that help the flow of traffic when you are preventing people from completing their left-turns - or everybody does their left- turn anyway and blocks traffic from being able to go on their green light?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #1012
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think Sliver is the reason that the Intersection at Elbow and Glenmore is a complete gong show at 4:00PM everyday
Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #1013
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The rule states that if the light is yellow, and you could either go or stop, just stop. If you need to get there five minutes earlier, then leave five minutes earlier. Maybe even put in a buffer and leave ten minutes earlier. If the light is red and you're late, you don't get to run it based on how valuable your time is. I know you said you're not talking about running reds, but the stopping rules are the same for red lights as they are for yellow lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #1014
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Especially when you consider that the 5 minute light cycle is most likely actually between 90 seconds and 2 minutes. I know it feels like an eternity, but it's rarely much longer than that.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #1015
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
People who unnecessarily stop at yellow lights. Floor it you GD p***ies.

I'm not talking about when there is a yellow light camera (you should know where those are) or if traffic is waiting to turn left in front of your lane; I'm talking about situations where it is perfectly safe and reasonable to let a few more cars through the intersection without affecting anybody, but some struggler slams on his brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How does that help the flow of traffic when you are preventing people from completing their left-turns - or everybody does their left- turn anyway and blocks traffic from being able to go on their green light?
Of course that wouldn't help the flow of traffic, which is why I addressed it in my OP.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #1016
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
The rule states that if the light is yellow, and you could either go or stop, just stop. If you need to get there five minutes earlier, then leave five minutes earlier. Maybe even put in a buffer and leave ten minutes earlier. If the light is red and you're late, you don't get to run it based on how valuable your time is. I know you said you're not talking about running reds, but the stopping rules are the same for red lights as they are for yellow lights.
It's not about needing to be somewhere five minutes earlier. It's about not needing to wait an extra five minutes for no reason. When you could opt to go through the yellow light without endangering anybody else or affecting anybody else in any way shape or form, why wouldn't you do it?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #1017
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not about needing to be somewhere five minutes earlier. It's about not needing to wait an extra five minutes for no reason. When you could opt to go through the yellow light without endangering anybody else or affecting anybody else in any way shape or form, why wouldn't you do it?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #1018
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Sliver, if going through is not going to affect anyone or anything around you, then why not?

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #1019
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I agree with Sliver, if going through is not going to affect anyone or anything around you, then why not?

His argument is not safety based. It is time based. Apparently 5 minutes is a make or break amount in his life.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #1020
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His argument is not safety based. It is time based. Apparently 5 minutes is a make or break amount in his life.
Fair enough, I just read it as why inconvenience yourself for no reason.

Another example is all the lights that aren't timed differently or don't shut off in the middle of the night. Industrial areas are bad for this, literally nobody else around in any direction, and there's a red light. I pretty much treat those like stop signs. Stop, if it's clear, I go.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread