Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2023, 03:17 PM   #10041
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
She’s really in your head isn’t she chemgear?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:25 PM   #10042
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1725128228912701623
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:05 PM   #10043
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Fk yeah. I hope plastic straws come back. I currently drive with a bunch in my glovebox for movies and such, but 90% of the time I forget to bring them in with me and am stuck with those nasty paper ones.
Straws would be nice, but I want my plastic grocery bags back. For all my life our grocery bags would always serve a second purpose as garbage bags for our bathrooms, but now I have to buy those separately. I don't see how the environment comes out ahead in that case where you're just swapping one plastic bag for another
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:50 PM   #10044
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Straws would be nice, but I want my plastic grocery bags back. For all my life our grocery bags would always serve a second purpose as garbage bags for our bathrooms, but now I have to buy those separately. I don't see how the environment comes out ahead in that case where you're just swapping one plastic bag for another
Co-Op is still fighting the good fight
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2023, 12:45 AM   #10045
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Co-Op is still fighting the good fight
Coop not getting an exemption 100% proves that it's performative.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:46 AM   #10046
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
PP is a modern Canadian conservative he panders to his religious' base, but not so hard he scares away moderate conservatives. He promises a better economy, but doesn't plan on working with any kind of economic austerity. In short, the economic course will largely stay the same, but there will be a sharp decrease in social justice rhetoric and an increase of right wing dog whistles.

PP looks like a strong candidate because his job is to be the primary critic of an increasingly unpopular and scandal ridden PM.

Is he dangerous? probably not in small doses but give any PM 10 years and they will find a way to make their friends rich and push through some ideologically driven BS.

Odds are good he is the next PM so long as he can steer clear of any anti abortion or homophobic scandals.

This is bang on IMO. The wave Poilievre is riding is in large part due to incompetence of JT and the overall easy target he and his government have become.

As much as many people have already made up their minds and defined him, I think Poilievre will have a chance to really define himself once it’s him in the spotlight and not just slinging mud at a giant target. I doubt he’s the radical the left want to paint him as but he’ll be hated by them all the same.

My guess is he won’t actually defund the CBC and he won’t actually entirely axe the carbon tax. He’ll just create exceptions he can campaign on i.e. farmers, home heating, etc.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:21 AM   #10047
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary '89 View Post
This is bang on IMO. The wave Poilievre is riding is in large part due to incompetence of JT and the overall easy target he and his government have become.

As much as many people have already made up their minds and defined him, I think Poilievre will have a chance to really define himself once it’s him in the spotlight and not just slinging mud at a giant target. I doubt he’s the radical the left want to paint him as but he’ll be hated by them all the same.

My guess is he won’t actually defund the CBC and he won’t actually entirely axe the carbon tax. He’ll just create exceptions he can campaign on i.e. farmers, home heating, etc.
Why is it when Conservatives tell voters who they are and what they will do, people like you keep assuming they will be different and softer? They never ever do that. So frustrating.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:52 AM   #10048
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lai...tion-of-canada

Quote:
The Canadian federal government has failed to recover any of the more than $100,000 that it paid to Laith Marouf, the federal “anti-racism” contractor whose virulently antisemitic social media posts became the centrepiece of a national scandal.
Quote:
“Go drink the sea of Gaza you little Zionist b—h,” Marouf wrote in a Nov. 5 post directed at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

So how much more money has been wasted like this? I know this amount is a drop in the bucket, but….
Old 11-17-2023, 08:01 AM   #10049
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lai...tion-of-canada

So how much more money has been wasted like this? I know this amount is a drop in the bucket, but….
From the article:

Laith Marouf, who has collected about $500,000 in federal contracts, urged creation of 'Zionist-Hunter squads' targeting Canadian politicians

Another post advocated the creation of armed self-defence units of Canadian Muslims to fight the police.

The Trudeau government’s initial defence was that they didn’t know who Marouf was — a claim that fell apart as the scandal progressed. Diversity and Inclusion Minister Ahmed Hussen would later tell a House of Commons committee that he’d been aware of Marouf’s extremism for more than a month before the story hit the press.

As the Marouf scandal progressed in 2022, one of the most telling things it revealed was that a government anti-racism coordinator was able to espouse extremist views for years on end without anyone batting an eye.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #10050
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1725516393108422967
Old 11-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #10051
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why is it when Conservatives tell voters who they are and what they will do, people like you keep assuming they will be different and softer? They never ever do that. So frustrating.
Cuz people like me know that Canada is 63% left-leaning and hard RW simply won’t work here. Erin O’Toole knew that and tried to ride the middle ground but failed. Poilievre gets painted as Javier Milei type RW radical and it’s fine if people like you believe that, but rest assured that the ocean of LW comrades you have here won’t ever let him or anyone be that type of leader.

I have my doubts about Poilievre and about any politician really, I wouldn’t call him softer, just more centrist.
What I don’t understand is why the left NEVER doubts their leaders. Such blind orthodox following.

Also very frustrating.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:59 AM   #10052
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cuz people like me know that Canada is 63% left-leaning and hard RW simply won’t work here. Erin O’Toole knew that and tried to ride the middle ground but failed. Poilievre gets painted as Javier Milei type RW radical and it’s fine if people like you believe that, but rest assured that the ocean of LW comrades you have here won’t ever let him or anyone be that type of leader.
That's an unprovable claim. If fact, if you look at a similar conversation that took place regarding Danielle Smith you'll find hand-waiving that 'once she's in office she'll soften'. The same was said about and by Donald Trump, that he would be "more Presidential". The last resort usually holding these politicians in check, is the courts, particularly in Canada where a majority government gives the governing party a lot of leeway.

Quote:
I have my doubts about Poilievre and about any politician really, I wouldn’t call him softer, just more centrist.
Based on what? Hope? He has shown us who he is through his words and actions. Why not believe him?

Quote:
What I don’t understand is why the left NEVER doubts their leaders. Such blind orthodox following.

Also very frustrating.
That's true, you don't understand. If anything, the Left has multiple purity tests. The Right tends to unify behind their leaders while the Left tends to eat it's own as 'not my kind of Left'.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2023, 09:00 AM   #10053
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What makes the Laith thing worse, is the government has never recovered any money from this person.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #10054
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What makes the Laith thing worse, is the government has never recovered any money from this person.
He's even openly mocked Trudeau about it.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:44 AM   #10055
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
That's an unprovable claim. If fact, if you look at a similar conversation that took place regarding Danielle Smith you'll find hand-waiving that 'once she's in office she'll soften'. The same was said about and by Donald Trump, that he would be "more Presidential". The last resort usually holding these politicians in check, is the courts, particularly in Canada where a majority government gives the governing party a lot of leeway.

Based on what? Hope? He has shown us who he is through his words and actions. Why not believe him?

That's true, you don't understand. If anything, the Left has multiple purity tests. The Right tends to unify behind their leaders while the Left tends to eat it's own as 'not my kind of Left'.

So I talk about Canadas left leaning population and your response is nope, Alberta isn’t like that? Cool. And the Trump comparison? So sharp! You read at a Cuban style level!

As for the right unifying behind their leaders, Kenney, Redford, Stelmach, Prentice, O’Toole and Scheer would love to have a word with you.
Trudeau has been liberal leader for 10 years somehow and even dumb dumb Singh just landed an approval rating of over 82% in the most recent federal NDP convention. ‘Not my kind of left’ hey?

Last edited by Calgary '89; 11-17-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:00 AM   #10056
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So I talk about Canadas left leaning population and your response is nope, Alberta isn’t like that? Cool. And the Trump comparison? So sharp! You read at a Cuban style level!

As for the right unifying behind their leaders, Kenney, Redford, Stelmach, Prentice, O’Toole and Scheer would love to have a word with you.
Trudeau has been liberal leader for 10 years somehow and even dumb dumb Singh just landed an approval rating of over 82% in the most recent federal NDP convention. ‘Not my kind of left’ hey?
If we're talking about reading comprehension, my post didn't address your claim that Canada is left-leaning. It is. That's not debatable. My response was in regards to your comment that somehow Canadians would somehow moderate a potential PP majority government. I offered examples of how the people of Alberta aren't able to moderate Smith and Americans weren't able to moderate Trump.

Not sure what Cuban style level means but I'm guessing it must have seemed like a great burn in your mind.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:05 AM   #10057
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

We’re doin it cuban style, boys!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:07 AM   #10058
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It’s not a burn man, seems more like reality.

A conservative majority lasting more than 4 years would be a surprise to me. Canadian politics and American are night and day IMO, even though there’s a lot of people who like to equate the 2. We don’t have Fox News and we don’t have MSNBC here either which is a damn blessing.

Besides, I’m giving my opinion on what a Poilievre government will likely look like, I seriously doubt the CBC and carbon tax applause lines will actually become reality when he’s PM. I think it’ll be more about toning down culture wars rhetoric and hopefully tearing up some of those oddly intrusive liberal bills related to online content and podcast speech.

By all means disagree and debate!
Old 11-17-2023, 10:52 AM   #10059
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ya. Here it is.

Quote:
Although the contract was revoked, the feds haven’t been able to recover any of the cash — something that Marouf seemed to mention in a post. “Clutch your purses Jewsaders!… Your Crime Minister can’t get the money back with all the might of Apartheid Canada,” he wrote
Great, so we (as in taxpayers) end up finding someone who is openly advocating for hate and genocide. Anti-racism at its finest!
Old 11-17-2023, 01:05 PM   #10060
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cuz people like me know that Canada is 63% left-leaning and hard RW simply won’t work here. Erin O’Toole knew that and tried to ride the middle ground but failed.
O'Toole didn't try to 'ride the middle', he tried to play both sides and came off as a flip-flopper. Pick a subject, and you can probably find O'Toole answering in support and in opposition to it.

PP, to his credit, is telling everyone who he is, and what he stands for. It just doesn't happen to be something people actually want.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: