Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #10001
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Easy now. That’s quite a leap from what I said.

You're right, You start with shiving your bully. Anything but telling the teacher.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #10002
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agents are key brokers when it comes to trades coming together. If there is an agreement to see if an option exists to find Huby a new home Walsh will be a big part of that process just like Craig Oster was with the Tkachuk deal.

I think it is good that they held a closed door meeting instead of Walsh’s typical tactics of making it public on social media.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #10003
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Send Huberdeau to the Leafs!

Is there any team you could see him going to? I don't know who would want him.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #10004
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the fact he works for them, Allan Walsh tells his clients what to do and they typically do it. That’s why they hire him - they think he knows what’s best for them.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #10005
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It’s this type of stuff where Huberdeau is making things very hard for the fanbase to get behind him.

Taking it to your agent and going about it this way is like telling the teacher on the bully. At some point, you’re going to need to confront the problem yourself.
I'm not sure I understand this analogy.

Child = Huberdeau
Teacher = Walsh
Bully = Who, exactly? Huska? Conroy? Us? Teammates? Other teams?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:38 PM   #10006
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Because most teams value character
Man I don’t know anything about this Addison guy but it seems you have some real beef with him, what’s the deal?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #10007
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Do you think he had to raise it with his agent?
Walsh is the most aggressive agent in the NHL when it comes to defending his players.

I have no issue with agent, player, and management having open lines of communication, particularly if the starting premise was "look we all agree this isn't working, so how do we change that".

Confront the problem. I have no issue with that.
100% agree. Frankly both Walsh and Conroy are in difficult spots, as there is only so much they can do to fix this. A trade is nearly impossible at this point so hopefully both sides have some ideas on how to get things working better with the Flames.

Now if Walsh starts making some public comments, then he just makes his client's life harder. And puts Conroy in a horrible spot.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #10008
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Send Huberdeau to the Leafs!

Is there any team you could see him going to? I don't know who would want him.
There is always the faint hope the Canadiens would want a French Canadian star but at his age/price/contract length it’s hard to imagine anyone has any interest in him at all.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM   #10009
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Because most teams value character
But that has nothing to do with this trade.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM   #10010
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post

I don't think a trade is possible but if there is one out there it will have a lot of moving parts involving cap dumps. I can't imagine Edwards will retain for 7 years when he barely retains on expiring deals.
IIRC, teams can only retain on three contracts at any one time. Handcuffing the team by taking up one of those spots for another seven years takes away flexibility in trades - particularly at TDL's.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM   #10011
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect whether Huberdeau initiated with Walsh or not, he could have put a stop to it.

Yes, I think the agent getting involved is disruptive. I agree the team should openly deal with the matter, but the agent shouldn’t be involved IMO.
They also pay agents specifically for their representation and guidance throughout the year. Impossible to say the agent shouldn’t be involved without knowing what the conversation included, but there are more reasons for him to be involved than not.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM   #10012
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Anderson and Gallagher are serious dead weight contracts for 3 more years as well. Huberdeau isn’t done.
I believe Anderson and Gallagher both have four years left? Might be wrong. But buying out those two, or having Gallagher on LTIR is like 100% better than a Huberdeau buyout situation.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #10013
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect whether Huberdeau initiated with Walsh or not, he could have put a stop to it.

Yes, I think the agent getting involved is disruptive. I agree the team should openly deal with the matter, but the agent shouldn’t be involved IMO.
Put a stop to what?

Trying to find a solution for something isn't working for either party at the moment?

Everyone's reputation is taking a hit here, and collaboration will make it easier to find that solution.

Treliving got to know the person, but it seems like they didn't ask the bigger questions as to how he likes to play, how he would fit on a team that plays this way prior to handing out that contract.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:46 PM   #10014
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
IIRC, teams can only retain on three contracts at any one time. Handcuffing the team by taking up one of those spots for another seven years takes away flexibility in trades - particularly at TDL's.
The only contract the Flames have ever retained on was Rittich. I’m still not sure he allows retention on UFAs they deal this year
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:49 PM   #10015
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s not a good person. They probably figured it out like they did in Lethbridge
Are you confusing him for someone else? Lethbridge never got rid of him he just got too old. I also never heard rumblings about Addison being a problem. I was always under the impression that he was well liked.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #10016
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
I believe Anderson and Gallagher both have four years left? Might be wrong. But buying out those two, or having Gallagher on LTIR is like 100% better than a Huberdeau buyout situation.
That or Gaudreau are the only possibilities that make a bit of sense if either GM thinks Huberdeau can turn it around but I thinking we will jsut have to hope Huberdeau pulls a Skinner
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:57 PM   #10017
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I'm not sure I understand this analogy.

Child = Huberdeau
Teacher = Walsh
Bully = Who, exactly? Huska? Conroy? Us? Teammates? Other teams?
Child = Huberdeau
Parent = Walsh
Classroom = Hockey Team
Teacher = Huska
Principal = Conroy
SuperNintendo Chalmers = Edwards

"My kid is complaining about being unhappy at school and not fitting in with the other kids in the class. What are you going to do about it?? Can you get rid of some of the kids? Can you get some new kids? Can we switch classrooms? Can you change your style of teaching to fit my kid? Can my kid get special treatment?"

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-08-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 02:58 PM   #10018
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Put a stop to what?

Trying to find a solution for something isn't working for either party at the moment?

Everyone's reputation is taking a hit here, and collaboration will make it easier to find that solution.

Treliving got to know the person, but it seems like they didn't ask the bigger questions as to how he likes to play, how he would fit on a team that plays this way prior to handing out that contract.
I don’t like the optics of it only because I don’t see a way to move the player with this contract.

And then now having this meeting having taken place and media knowledge of it, it becomes even more disruptive.

This situation needs to quiet down and start with accountability. No matter who’s involved, there’s no quick fix on the horizon. So that’s why for me, in house is the strongest option before bringing in the boisterous agent.
howard_the_duck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:01 PM   #10019
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t like the optics of it only because I don’t see a way to move the player with this contract.

And then now having this meeting having taken place and media knowledge of it, it becomes even more disruptive.

This situation needs to quiet down and start with accountability. No matter who’s involved, there’s no quick fix on the horizon. So that’s why for me, in house is the strongest option before bringing in the boisterous agent.
What media knowledge?

Its a random poster on a message board spouting rumours.

We don't know if anything has even happened yet.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 03:02 PM   #10020
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
They also pay agents specifically for their representation and guidance throughout the year. Impossible to say the agent shouldn’t be involved without knowing what the conversation included, but there are more reasons for him to be involved than not.
The history of the player and his agent getting involved isn’t a good one. Didn’t go well last season, so history repeating itself and I worry this becomes a circus.
howard_the_duck is online now   Reply With Quote