Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #981
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
So of all the names we've heard you're most comfortable with Carlyle?
Oh hell no- you might as well say Ron Wilson to me. I want a fresh face behind the bench. A Jon Cooper type. I don't want any recycled old school coaches. I heard a lot about Travis Green and how he is an up an comer. I would welcome that so that the coach can grow with the team. Fresh ideas.

Geoff Ward in Jersey was a PP and special teams guy who took a band of misfits in Jersey and had them have one of the better power plays in the NHL.

A combination of the two meaning Green as coach and Ward as Asst would be intriguing to me. Both are considered up and coming. If one fails, you got the other just in case.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #982
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=22979

This guys seems to me moving up the coaching ranks. 3 years assistant in OHL, now Associate for Rangers. Can potentially see the Flames going after him as a coach in coming years. They did before.

The Kitchener Rangers have a young coaching staff; Van Ryan (37), McKee (38), this guy (36), McKenzie (30), Tisi (31)
That's kinda crazy.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008122016.html
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #983
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
The big thing about Krueger is that he was arguably the most instrumental player in building the Swiss national team. NHL experience is an asset but not required and his brief cup of coffee that you seem adamant to write off was probably the only time over the last 8 years the Oilers showed major signs of improvement, the only coach the players seemed to buy into.

Krueger is thought of very highly in hockey circles from everything I have read, probably more so than any candidate being suggested.
It's not that I write off Kruger, it's that he was only there 48 games man. And major signs of improvement ? I don't remember that at all- Unless you are an Oilers fan. He still had a loosing record in those 48 games. Being respected in hockey circles is great, and even internationally, but there are guys out there right now who are also respected but it doesn't mean they are fit to be an NHL coach. Dave King was a very well respected coach for Canada, the Flames etc- but it didn't mean he was a good fit.

And may I add again... the guy is in soccer right now, and has been since 2014- seems perfect to me.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #984
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=22979

This guys seems to me moving up the coaching ranks. 3 years assistant in OHL, now Associate for Rangers. Can potentially see the Flames going after him as a coach in coming years. They did before.

The Kitchener Rangers have a young coaching staff; Van Ryan (37), McKee (38), this guy (36), McKenzie (30), Tisi (31)
That's kinda crazy.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008122016.html
That indeed would be funny. And if I recall, he was a 6th overall pick for us ?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:22 AM   #985
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
It's not that I write off Kruger, it's that he was only there 48 games man. And major signs of improvement ? I don't remember that at all- Unless you are an Oilers fan. He still had a loosing record in those 48 games. Being respected in hockey circles is great, and even internationally, but there are guys out there right now who are also respected but it doesn't mean they are fit to be an NHL coach. Dave King was a very well respected coach for Canada, the Flames etc- but it didn't mean he was a good fit.

And may I add again... the guy is in soccer right now, and has been since 2014- seems perfect to me.
In the 10 seasons since the Oilers Cup run Kruegers 2012-13 team ranked

3rd in Winning Percentage (only 07-08 and 08-09 were better)
3rd in Goals per Game (only 07-08 and 08-09 were better)
1st in Goals Against per Game
2nd in Powerplay Percentage (only 11-12 was better)
3rd in Penalty Killing Percentage (only 06-07 and 07-08 were better)

The Oilers may not have lit the world on fire but since they bottomed out that was clearly their best season, if was the only season that the Oilers didn't earn a top 5 pick in that time.

Also you keep bringing up soccer, so what if he is currently in soccer? The guy played hockey, spent 20+ years coaching hockey and is still coaching Team Europe at the World Cup, obviously he loves the game.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 12:26 AM   #986
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
exactly ...

if the Canuck fan were dreaming of their next head coach then you'd have a hype argument. But the guy is on every one's list (media etc), and has been interviewed for both jobs so its all merit.

Here's a thought ...

Burke mentioned the process would include doing due diligence, talking to people and then at some point bringing them in to talk to ownership/King. This week we've heard second interviews for Carlyle and now Green.

Given how the Flames always surprise the media and this market, what if the Flames just announce a press conference tomorrow to introduce Green as the head coach and Carlyle as an associate?
This is my choice. Up and comer with the veteran who is a great bench manager. Solid combo but would Carlyle want the job?
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #987
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah I'm not even saying Kreuger is an amazing choice.

I just think "bah! Soccer!" isn't really a good criticism of him, and was pointing out the reasons why some people would probably be excited to have him despite his lack of North American experience.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 01:24 AM   #988
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah I'm not even saying Kreuger is an amazing choice.

I just think "bah! Soccer!" isn't really a good criticism of him, and was pointing out the reasons why some people would probably be excited to have him despite his lack of North American experience.
Krueger is at the top of my list personally. I see a guy that helped improve a bad Oiler team, a guy that was behind the bench when Yak, Hall, Gagner and Schultz all had career years. A guy that built a pathetic Swiss program into a respectable program that while not a powerhouse were always a threat to pull off an upset.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 AM   #989
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I look at it is Kruger is a good candidate and has the credentials to be a success. What I remember of the Swiss was that they were a huge trapping team. If this is the way Kruger coaches, I'll take a pass but if he's that well thought of in international circles, he's probably pretty good at working with what he has and adapting a system to suit the team.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 AM   #990
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I just don't think it's worth getting stoked about until Kruger actually coaches a full season.

Hartley had a ton of career highs for both forwards and dmen last season. Gaudreau, Giordano, Hamilton, Backlund, Colborne all had career years for points or goals.

Treliving needs to get a goalie before any coaching system works, IMO.
Players having career seasons doesnt mean the coach is good, it could just mean that the team sacrificed defense for offense. Iggy had his best offensive seasons under Greg Gilbert and Mike Keenan, does that make them better than Darryl Sutter, who was coach when Iggy had some of his poorer offensive seasons?

Remember when Matt Stajan was a 50 point guy with the Leafs? You know if the Leafs made the playoffs that year?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:25 AM   #991
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The way I look at it is Kruger is a good candidate and has the credentials to be a success. What I remember of the Swiss was that they were a huge trapping team. If this is the way Kruger coaches, I'll take a pass but if he's that well thought of in international circles, he's probably pretty good at working with what he has and adapting a system to suit the team.
The Swiss were a trapping team because they had little offensive talent. When he was in Edmonton they sure didn't trap and while they were the best Oilers team for GA per game in a decade, they were also the best offensive team in the last 7 years, with the best special teams (both PP and PK) they have had in that time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #992
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe I just missed it but there doesn't seem to be much talk about Dineen out of Chicago. On the surface he seems to check most of the boxes. Anyone have any insight into him?
Red Slinger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #993
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the two most intreguing things about Kruger to me are:

- I remeber being happy when the Oilers fired him, I can't really explain why other than something about him and the team that year made me feel he was doing a good job and going in the right direction (potentially it's just a feeling based on what I'll say next).

- Most importantly, from his time with the Oilers and seeing him in the media to everything else he's done and I've read about him, I don't know how else to say this other than it all leads me to believe that Kruger is a very smart man. This leads me to believe that he will be successful in whatever he touches. Don't get me wrong, being a good coach is a talent and a skill set, not everyone that is smart has it, but he's coached enough at various levels for me to be willing to assume he's got this skill set.

Now I don't honestly know if he's the right choice, a lot of the other names like Green and Ward sound interesting, and I won't pretend to have a clue on how to judge whether our coaching selection will end up being a good one until I have a chance to watch them coach the Flames, coach evaluation unless I'm watching it day in day out is well well out of my capabilities as a fan (and even then I likely don't know squat). But Kruger gives me smart / successful vibes, as does Burke and Treliving tbh. Not something Feaster for example made me feel. Doesn't really mean anything, but that's honestly why the name Kruger interests me just a little bit.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #994
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I think the two most intreguing things about Kruger to me are:

- I remeber being happy when the Oilers fired him, I can't really explain why other than something about him and the team that year made me feel he was doing a good job and going in the right direction (potentially it's just a feeling based on what I'll say next).

- Most importantly, from his time with the Oilers and seeing him in the media to everything else he's done and I've read about him, I don't know how else to say this other than it all leads me to believe that Kruger is a very smart man. This leads me to believe that he will be successful in whatever he touches. Don't get me wrong, being a good coach is a talent and a skill set, not everyone that is smart has it, but he's coached enough at various levels for me to be willing to assume he's got this skill set.

Now I don't honestly know if he's the right choice, a lot of the other names like Green and Ward sound interesting, and I won't pretend to have a clue on how to judge whether our coaching selection will end up being a good one until I have a chance to watch them coach the Flames, coach evaluation unless I'm watching it day in day out is well well out of my capabilities as a fan (and even then I likely don't know squat). But Kruger gives me smart / successful vibes, as does Burke and Treliving tbh. Not something Feaster for example made me feel. Doesn't really mean anything, but that's honestly why the name Kruger interests me just a little bit.
Haha just yesterday I was talking to my wife about Krueger and how I remember being really happy when the oilers fired him, almost a sense of relief but I couldn't really figure out a reason as to why I was so happy they got rid of him
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #995
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Krueger seems better suited to management than coaching.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #996
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't hate the idea of Krueger, but it feels like he is being over valued on this board mostly because he was hosed by the oilers, and not necessarily because of his fit with this team. Coaching a flawed team all the way to 26th or whatever they were is decent, but I am not so sure it screams "building a winner".
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #997
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Аrpon Basu @ArponBasu
Kirk Muller said he didn't pursue open head coaching positions in Calgary and Anaheim because he preferred this role in Montreal.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #998
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't a big fan of Muller so that comes as a relief to me.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #999
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Аrpon Basu @ArponBasu
Kirk Muller said he didn't pursue open head coaching positions in Calgary and Anaheim because he preferred this role in Montreal.
Were the Flames and Ducks even interested?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #1000
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Ex-Senators coach Dave Cameron talking to Red Wings about Assistant's Job

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/loca...g-to-red-wings
I have a first hand account of Trevor Linden being in Ottawa. Any chance Van is interviewing Cameron for some sort of an associate coach role?
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote