Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #981
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The "Flames" was a reference of The Union army burning Atlanta. It should be on the same level of political incorrect insult to the people of the southern states who's ancestors were brutalized in the war by a much superior industrialized foe who invaded their territory and imposed their morals on the defeated.

This is a parallel to the American first nations that commonly had slaves and remnants exist in their culture. There are not a lot of hereditary chiefs who did not have slaves a few generations ago and no hereditary chiefs from the defeated tribes. The invasion of Canadians stopped that practice.

When Calgary took over the Flames the team and kept the name because it fit in with the Gas Flares. Try selling the acceptability of celebrating Gas flares with your social justice warrior.

Same class as Oilers.

Canucks and Canadiens is a a name associated with the invading force that suppressed the first Nation people

Senators is associated with elite self interest and political payback at tax payer expense

Only the Leafs are safe.
What a terrible take. I never actually disliked you as a person -- until now.

If Native Americans want to use Native American imagery, they're welcome to. If the people of Atlanta want to call themselves the Flames they're welcome to.

To compare the genocide of millions of of the original inhabitants of this continent to the razing of a mostly abandoned city of 20,000 is unconscionable. And your cavalier whataboutism about transatlantic slavery, the darkest chapter in North American history besides said genocide, disgusts me.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...urned-atlanta/
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #982
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jordin Tootoo

Last edited by corporatejay; 07-08-2020 at 06:00 PM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to corporatejay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #983
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Jordin Tootoo
> My point is that context really does matter.

I wish people would understand that point above all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #984
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wasn't directed at you. Just posting viewpoints in the thread, and viewpoints of prominent Inuk people.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #985
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tkachuk View Post
Remember how they changed our NATIONAL ANTHEM for PC reasons? The "all of us command" bull####? I choose to be offended by the part about god in the anthem, as i'm an atheist, and I demand it be changed.

Seriously, this is all nonsense, and I'm honestly disturbed by the number of wanna be SJW's here that feel that this is actually an issue. Offense in these instances is taken, not intended. Context matters.
What a turd you are. They changed it back to the original lyrics.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4002268/o...ender-neutral/

Edit: a word.

Last edited by sempuki; 07-08-2020 at 06:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #986
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

In reference to Tootoo's comments, I was reading an online discussion about the origins of the name and it was interesting. Although I should state that there were no sources and it was just word of mouth, so I can't verify the truth. It sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

The short version is that it actually started with a rugby rivalry between Calgary and Edmonton pre-1900. The teams didn't have nicknames then. It was in fact opposing fans that came up with the names. Calgary fans called the Edmonton team the "Eskimos" to make fun of their northern latitude, albeit thousands of km from the arctic. They said that Calgary's team was called "Cow Camp" by Edmonton fans.

Later, the owner of the rugby team started a baseball team and football team, which he officially called the Eskimos.

Not sure if that is a true story, but if true, it wouldn't have come from a place of respect or hate really for that matter. But probably more negative than positive.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #987
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
In reference to Tootoo's comments, I was reading an online discussion about the origins of the name and it was interesting. Although I should state that there were no sources and it was just word of mouth, so I can't verify the truth. It sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

The short version is that it actually started with a rugby rivalry between Calgary and Edmonton pre-1900. The teams didn't have nicknames then. It was in fact opposing fans that came up with the names. Calgary fans called the Edmonton team the "Eskimos" to make fun of their northern latitude, albeit thousands of km from the arctic. They said that Calgary's team was called "Cow Camp" by Edmonton fans.

Later, the owner of the rugby team started a baseball team and football team, which he officially called the Eskimos.

Not sure if that is a true story, but if true, it wouldn't have come from a place of respect or hate really for that matter. But probably more negative than positive.
Even if we paint it with a negative brush, it's still not negative towards people but rather the difference in winter climate between the two cities due to a lack of Chinooks.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #988
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Redskins was a slur, great news, finally after all these years.

Maybe they'll even stop calling us Indians some day?

BREAKING: Washington Redskins to Get New Name, Scrap Native American Imagery

Quote:
The owner of the team, Dan Snyder, and the D.C. franchise are conducting an internal review, pulling all the team's apparel off the shelves and according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the team is planning to remove all Native American images.
https://knx1070.radio.com/articles/r...qrmgqrTMES5Ugc
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #989
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I thought they did a survey 4 years ago, and 9 of 10 native Americans didn’t care about the name. They do the same survey every 10 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #990
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
I thought they did a survey 4 years ago, and 9 of 10 native Americans didn’t care about the name. They do the same survey every 10 years or so.

So, it means something to some. Deeply. Not in the form of entertainment.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #991
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So what about the 1 in 10 it does? Or the 10 in 100? or the 1000 out of 10000?

So we don't care if we negatively effect 10% of an entire population?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #992
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Has nothing to do with the survey or what the majority owner Dan Snyder wants . The decision was made for him when Nike, fed ex and Amazon all said they wouldn’t sell redskins merchandise.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #993
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know the survey, but even it that is the case, it is meaningless without knowing the whole story.

Was it a survey of Native American football fans? Just Native Americans in the DC area? Was anyone with some Native American ancestry allowed to participate even if they were never immersed in the culture or experienced the hardships?

I have doubts that they traveled to the most impoverished reserves in North America and asked their opinions.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #994
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you need a survey to tell you if you should not be using the term red skin or n***er you're a lousy human being. I mean, come the #### on!
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #995
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That survey sounds dumb and what a footnote to have on your legacy with the team.

“* Team renamed in 2020 despite strong initial opposition from owner Dan Snyder.”
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #996
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit : Can’t make iimages work from my phone

Last edited by MrMike; 07-09-2020 at 11:45 PM.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:19 AM   #997
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
So what about the 1 in 10 it does? Or the 10 in 100? or the 1000 out of 10000?

So we don't care if we negatively effect 10% of an entire population?
It's tough, because no decision will make everyone happy and their are going to be contrasting opinions within the Aboriginal communities. Tootoo talking about Eskimo's name really outlined this, as did BC Chris talking about the jerseys he does for Aboriginal teams. Because of this, you need to set an artificial threshold of some kind, which really sucks, but it is a necessary evil. What an acceptable threshold is could be debated until the cows come home.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #998
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the NCAA somehow handled this one pretty reasonably.

Get the support of the Aboriginal leadership in your area and if all of them are inside you keep the name. In the case of the Eskimos you would discuss with the Inuit bands and if they all agree then you keep the name.

It’s not a threshold of x% but does address the small groups matter. You can also have real conversations with groups about what a team could actually do to help prejudice and racism beyond just a name change.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #999
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Certainly Indigenous people must be involved in discussions about sports team names and logos.
But many Indigenous peoples have been colonized, and conditioned to think that any recognition is better than none.
They need to understand that human beings are not mascots.
It's like Blacks who thought they could numb the effect of the N-word by reclaiming it themselves.

Jordin Tootoo says Edmonton team name discussion should centre on feelings of Inuk people
Quote:
We should all understand what the term means to the Inuk people,” he said. “My father’s generation connects this term to describe who they are. He would refer to himself as an Eskimo. My generation refers to itself as Inuk. What is important to me is that people understand this. And, when referring to the Inuit people, they respect that we refer to ourselves today as Inuk.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/footb...JY2YZqsbMpBnxs

Last edited by David Struch; 07-10-2020 at 09:32 AM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #1000
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the NCAA somehow handled this one pretty reasonably.

Get the support of the Aboriginal leadership in your area and if all of them are inside you keep the name. In the case of the Eskimos you would discuss with the Inuit bands and if they all agree then you keep the name.

It’s not a threshold of x% but does address the small groups matter. You can also have real conversations with groups about what a team could actually do to help prejudice and racism beyond just a name change.
I assume you are talking about UND and their former moniker The Fighting Sioux and the Florida State Seminoles? It was a good way to handle it because Sioux is specific to their region. It is the same with the Seminoles too, as the band is exclusive to the Florida region.

Eskimos is a little different because their name doesn't represent one specific band of Inuit as their are 9 different bands on Inuit People in Canada. So is the blessing of the nearest Inuit band really good enough? Especially when the nearest Inuit lands are about 1500km away from Edmonton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post: