Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #81
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctordestiny View Post
Compusmart is closing its Edmonton stores and everything is on sale starting tomorrow. I'm considering upgrading my TV. I'm wondering what CPers think about these products and prices:

Sony Bravia 32-inch LCD TV - reg. 1600, sale 999
Sony Bravia 40-inch LCD TV - reg 2500, sale 1499
Sony Grand Vega 50-inch LCD TV rear-projection - reg 2000, sale 1300
Sony Grand Vega 55-inch LCD TV rear-proj - reg 2500, sale 1500
Samsung 40-inch LCD HDTV - reg 2500, sale 1599

Should I be going HDTV (I suppose so) for my next set? Should I go rear-projection? I've always thought Samsung was a poorer make, but the above set is the highest-priced of all of those TVs. What about Samsung?

Any and all advice appreciated.
It this only in Edmonton or will similar sales be happening in Calgary?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #82
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Compusmart in Deerfoot Meadows is also closing and having this sale, I was there on opening day and they didn't have any prices anywhere close to that, but maybe they're reducing things as they go along.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #83
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The Compusmart in Deerfoot Meadows is also closing and having this sale, I was there on opening day and they didn't have any prices anywhere close to that, but maybe they're reducing things as they go along.
Interesting - is there any website that lists when stores like Best Buy or Future Shop will be having their future sales? I'd love to get a good deal on a TV as I'm not going to have a whole lot of cash to spend.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #84
photon

Exp:

The best deals site in Canada is RedFlagDeals.com (Disclaimer, I'm a moderator over there), sometimes they have info on upcoming stuff (but not usually). Very active forums.

PriceNetwork.ca is also good.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 AM   #85
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Interesting - is there any website that lists when stores like Best Buy or Future Shop will be having their future sales? I'd love to get a good deal on a TV as I'm not going to have a whole lot of cash to spend.
Check these sites regularly - They dont list upcoming sales of the Big Box Stores, but do have great deals on flat panels:

http://www.complete-it.ca/
http://www.avdeals.ca/

They sell 'industrial' versions of flat panels (no attached speakers - you want real speakers and audio receiver anyway), and are often as cheap as it gets. They sell some other A/V stuff also. They are Canadian so that makes sure all the manufacturer's warranty applies here.

I've ordered big ticket items from both of them and can vouche for their validity.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #86
photon

Exp:

I picked up one of those 32" Sony Bravias from the Compusmart sale, will unpack and install it today.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #87
photon

Exp:

$999.. You can get a 32" Daytek from Costco for $650, but I had one of those Dayteks die on me so I'm trying a bit better brand name (mind you Costco's return policy is the best ever).
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #88
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are everyone's thoughts on DLP's? I can get a 56' Samsung S5665W for about $1800 from Costco which strikes me as a decent price.

However, Futureshop has a sale on for the next few days on their Toshiba 42HL167 (for $1699) which is obviously a better TV. Would I be better off to go Plasma/LCD or is a cheaper DLP a viable option? I don't mind spending some money in a few years to replace the lamp but would it be more cost-effective just to get a better TV?

I'm leaning towards the Toshiba right now, it has received some great reviews and that is a pretty decent price for it. Given that it is already on sale, is there any way I could bargain the Futureshop guy down a little/get a bargain on a TV stand?

Last edited by Cerebral; 06-03-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #89
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on DLP's? I can get a 56' Samsung S5665W for about $1800 from Costco which strikes me as a decent price.

However, Futureshop has a sale on for the next few days on their Toshiba 42HL167 (for $1699) which is obviously a better TV. Would I be better off to go Plasma/LCD or is a cheaper DLP a viable option? I don't mind spending some money in a few years to replace the lamp but would it be more cost-effective just to get a better TV?

I'm leaning towards the Toshiba right now, it has received some great reviews and that is a pretty decent price for it. Given that it is already on sale, is there any way I could bargain the Futureshop guy down a little/get a bargain on a TV stand?
i don't like projection TV's due to the sheer size of them or how the viewing angle has to be perfect to get the best picture. they also don't seem to handle bright rooms as well as LCD does (plasma is the worst there though) so for me the extra $$ was worth it to go with my Sony Bravia
Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #90
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dell is getting out of the LCD-TV business.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #91
photon

Exp:

Compusmart is still having their sale, though it's now pretty picked over. There was a Panasonic 32" Viera TV for $999 though which I thought was pretty good.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #92
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Dell is getting out of the LCD-TV business.
Or are they?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/dell/rumo...ket-266974.php
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #93
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i don't like projection TV's due to the sheer size of them or how the viewing angle has to be perfect to get the best picture. they also don't seem to handle bright rooms as well as LCD does (plasma is the worst there though) so for me the extra $$ was worth it to go with my Sony Bravia
That's what I'm leaning towards doing now. I think I messed up pretty bad not getting that 42' Toshiba for $1699 (it's 1080p as well) so I'll just have to wait for the next few months and hope that another awesome deal pops up.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #94
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

DLP technology just fascinates me. They're doing super slim models now that are wall mountable. They're doing "home theaters in a box" where you can have a projector with a DVD player and 5.1 sound output in a single unit that will give you a 10' viewing screen with the projector a mere 4' away from the wall.

I have noticed viewing angle issues with my set compared to LCDs my friends have, but I still prefer having the bigger screen. Even the older DLPs are not that big if you have a dedicated theater room.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #95
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
DLP technology just fascinates me. They're doing super slim models now that are wall mountable. They're doing "home theaters in a box" where you can have a projector with a DVD player and 5.1 sound output in a single unit that will give you a 10' viewing screen with the projector a mere 4' away from the wall.

I have noticed viewing angle issues with my set compared to LCDs my friends have, but I still prefer having the bigger screen. Even the older DLPs are not that big if you have a dedicated theater room.
Samsung also apparently has these LED DLP TVs out now that don't even have the lamp life problems of previous DLP TVs. I'm still doing some research on what TV I want to get - I'm leaning towards a 40' Samsung LCD at this point in time but I wouldn't mind checking out a few decent DLPs as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #96
lifer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

OK, I've posted this in the Blue Jays thread, but I thought i might get a quicker answer here. I'm watching the Jays game on sportsnet HD on Bell. I have the view set to HD normal. In this setting it is cutting off the sides of the tv screen so it's like I'm watching an old TV. Does this mean I'm not getting the game in HD? I put it to HD stretch and the picture quality is significantly worse.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #97
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
OK, I've posted this in the Blue Jays thread, but I thought i might get a quicker answer here. I'm watching the Jays game on sportsnet HD on Bell. I have the view set to HD normal. In this setting it is cutting off the sides of the tv screen so it's like I'm watching an old TV. Does this mean I'm not getting the game in HD? I put it to HD stretch and the picture quality is significantly worse.
Yeah, the game is not being aired in HD even though it's on the HD channel. Most away games seem to be in SD as the expense of renting a HD truck seems to be out of reach. HD content is increasing but it's still not 100%. If you've got an LCD, my advice is to leave it on normal. If it's a plasma or CRT, a stretch mode may help prevent burnin.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #98
lifer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

thanks. that's sort of what i figured, but I wasn't positive.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #99
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:
Default Plasma Burn In Question

Hey guys, we just got a 42" plasma TV with all the inputs available today, and I'm wondering if I would kill the TV by hyooking my laptop into it. Does anyone have any useful experience with using a plasma as a monitor?

How long would it take for the start bar to burn in, and why would they even include a VGA input if the risk of burn in is there? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #100
cheung31
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In a recent Future Shop flyer, they had those Ask an Expert and apparently newer Plasmas are not susceptible to burn ins. Although there's an apparent initial 2 or 3 hour "work in" period for the plasma to get to the correct brightness.