Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 10:28 PM   #81
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I dont understand the conspiracy theories....this is like the 9/11 conspiracies...they make no sense.

He literally had a ruptured spleen. He didn't rupture it himself. He was injured, get over it.
Peter Forsberg played the third period of a Game 7 with a ruptured spleen. He then missed the rest of the playoffs and the entire following regular season before coming back for the playoffs (there was no cap back then).

Stone's been out since February, which was right around the same time trade talk started ramping up ahead of the deadline, and is now on his way back for the playoffs two months later (after doing the same thing last season and the season before (so they could get Eichel, but the missed the playoffs)).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:32 PM   #82
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Peter Forsberg played the third period of a Game 7 with a ruptured spleen. He then missed the rest of the playoffs and the entire following regular season before coming back for the playoffs (there was no cap back then).

Stone's been out since February, which was right around the same time trade talk started ramping up ahead of the deadline, and is now on his way back for the playoffs two months later (after doing the same thing last season and the season before (so they could get Eichel, but the missed the playoffs)).
So you're saying… what exactly? Stone faked a ruptured spleen?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:45 PM   #83
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had a lacerated spleen, not ruptured.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:46 PM   #84
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
He had a lacerated spleen, not ruptured.
Fair enough.

OK, does anybody think he faked that?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:55 PM   #85
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

This feels like you're agreeing with me. Forsberg missed an entire season and came back for playoffs when there was no cap.

So he had no reason to miss game 82 and come back for 1st game other than helping his team win and playing through a painful injury.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:57 PM   #86
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Fair enough.

OK, does anybody think he faked that?
Not sure if that’s aimed at me?

I never said he faked it. I don’t even care. They most likely played and or knew when he would return, but the injury is real and dangerous.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:58 PM   #87
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That’s what a loophole is. Something rules allow but shouldn’t.
No that's not. A loophole is something that's not intended to be used, but is used for a teams benefit.

This is literally not a loophole and is being used for its intended purpose. Offsides are not a loophole, they're in the rule book.

Playing over the cap in the playoffs is literally in the CBA. You can call it whatever you want but it isn't a loophole. Its being used for its intended purpose.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:01 PM   #88
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Not sure if that’s aimed at me?

I never said he faked it. I don’t even care. They most likely played and or knew when he would return, but the injury is real and dangerous.
No, it's not aimed at you. It's aimed at the conspiracy crowd, particularly FanIn80.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:49 PM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No that's not. A loophole is something that's not intended to be used, but is used for a teams benefit.

This is literally not a loophole and is being used for its intended purpose. Offsides are not a loophole, they're in the rule book.

Playing over the cap in the playoffs is literally in the CBA. You can call it whatever you want but it isn't a loophole. Its being used for its intended purpose.
Pretty sure the intent was to not penalize a team whose LTIR player happened to recover after POs start so he was ineligible. Pretty sure it wasn’t intended to hide players until the POs. But the way it works, you can get away with it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 12:34 AM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont understand the conspiracy theories....this is like the 9/11 conspiracies...they make no sense.

He literally had a ruptured spleen. He didn't rupture it himself. He was injured, get over it.
He literally didn't. If it ruptured, maybe he ruptured it himself...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Ruptured spleen?

Sounds like an inside job.

False Flag operation. We can all see the obvious tell-tale editing of the footage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
So you're saying… what exactly? Stone faked a ruptured spleen?
Precisely Dr. Watson! For you see, there are people who play hockey and live without spleens at all! Modern medical science has determined that the spleen is entirely unnecessary!

Therefore one can only conclude that the mastermind of such a scheme is none other than.....

Dr. Moriarty!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 01:59 AM   #91
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

My bad, guys. I didn't realize how difficult it must be for a group of Las Vegas billionaires to convince a doctor to stretch a diagnosis or a recovery timeline for one or two of their players.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 07:42 AM   #92
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My solution: A player who is on LTIR at the end of the season must sit out the first round even if cleared to play.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:14 AM   #93
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
My solution: A player who is on LTIR at the end of the season must sit out the first round even if cleared to play.
Even if it was 4 games, that's enough to scare teams. If you were on LTIR and didn't play in game 81 or 82, you need to stay on it for 7 days and it starts counting the day of your teams first playoff game.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:24 AM   #94
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matt Murray back
Old 04-13-2024, 09:32 AM   #95
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Someone else for the Leafs to rotate after Samsonov, Woll, and Jones get shelled. 4 goalies for 4 losses now, perfect.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:32 AM   #96
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

My solution: The team you ice in the post-season must be cap compliant. Expand all rosters all you want. Let teams be $100M over the cap, but the lineup on the ice during every game must be cap compliant. If you've stocked up on extra star bodies, only so many of the get on the roster for the game. Make a choice between what high priced players you put in that lineup.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #97
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
This punishes individuals.

You get injured. You work hard to get healthy. But you're not allowed to play in the playoffs because some fans want to institute arbitrary rules.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 09:52 AM   #98
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
My solution: The team you ice in the post-season must be cap compliant. Expand all rosters all you want. Let teams be $100M over the cap, but the lineup on the ice during every game must be cap compliant. If you've stocked up on extra star bodies, only so many of the get on the roster for the game. Make a choice between what high priced players you put in that lineup.
If a solution is needed (I am not sure that it is), I think this is the best one. Manage your injuries any way you want. Get your team through the season and into the playoffs. Get them healthy and ready to play. But ice a 20-man roster that is under the cap.

And it shouldn't be too difficult, considering it's only 20 players, and not 23. Should be plenty of wiggle room for teams to work with.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:55 AM   #99
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
\

"My solution"?

This is the exact thing almost every columnist and fan is proposing. I do believe it's the solution that you like. As many many do. But it's not yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 11:35 AM   #100
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's had recurring back problems for years. It's not like that's uncommon, those of us over 30 with desk jobs should be familiar.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1778934737395966132
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post: