Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2024, 11:32 AM   #81
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

The coaches salary cap is the dumbest thing the league could have ever done. No wonder QB play has been decreasing each year
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 11:41 AM   #82
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I think you can make a strong argument that the CFL bringing in the non-player operations cap (aka coaches cap) has had a significant negative impact on the fortunes of the Stamps. We have all witnessed some excellent coaches leaving for greener pastures mainly due to this cap which I also think has had a negative impact on the quality of CFL play since it was implemented.
One of if not the dumbest thing I have ever seen in a sports league.

What does this even accomplish? We are going to lose good minds to the NFL, current players will go to the NFL.

The CFL currently is sprinkled with Huffs blueprint all over the league with coaches and players. Not only have we been raided of players but coaches as well.

At some point the coaching talent is going to decrease as you have less to offer. Lots of complaints about Dave here, but we are lucky to have him here and never had this dumb cap when Huff was in charge or we would be in trouble right now.

With that being said I think we should have elevated Mace over Monson before he was taken off to Toronto.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 03:53 PM   #83
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't see this posted, but the Stamps have added two new coaches to the staff:

The Calgary Stampeders have hired André Bolduc and Ryan Williams to finalize their coaching staff for the 2024 season.

Bolduc will serve as Calgary’s running backs coach after spending this past season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders as their running backs coach and run-game coordinator. He spent eight seasons with the Montreal Alouettes prior to that and interviewed for the club’s head coaching job in 2023. He has also previously coached at the Université de Montréal, Université de Sherbrooke, and Collège Montmorency.

The native of Alma, Que. went unselected in the 1996 CFL Draft out of Concordia before spending six seasons in the league as a member of the Ottawa Rough Riders, Edmonton Elks, and Montreal Alouettes. He caught 38 passes for 393 yards and one touchdown and recorded 52 career special teams tackles with two fumble recoveries.

Williams will be the quarterbacks coach with the Stampeders after spending the past six years at the University of Georgia. He served as an assistant wide receivers and quality control coach, graduate assistant, and recruiting and player personnel analyst with the Bulldogs, helping them win two National Championships.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/29/c...oaching-staff/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:27 AM   #84
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Shawn Bane is still looking for a team in 2024 - He's likely looking for a pretty big contract after a monster year with the Riders, but if the Stamps can fit him in somehow, I sure wouldn't mind seeing him back at McMahon full time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 02:01 PM   #85
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never listened to him on a Riders radio broadcast, but I know he was very defensive on Twitter (as in anyone criticizing the Riders was rebuked quite harshly).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1752417368209342974
Old 01-30-2024, 03:37 PM   #86
Njord
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have never listened to him on a Riders radio broadcast, but I know he was very defensive on Twitter (as in anyone criticizing the Riders was rebuked quite harshly).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1752417368209342974
Even us Rider fans didn't like him. He bullied Derek Taylor out of a job in Regina and even the new voice of the PWHL Daniella Pontacelli would have some choice words about him if she could
Njord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:51 PM   #87
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njord View Post
Even us Rider fans didn't like him. He bullied Derek Taylor out of a job in Regina and even the new voice of the PWHL Daniella Pontacelli would have some choice words about him if she could
What a piece of ####. Derek Taylor's wife on X:
@FionaOdlum:
Do you want to know what's low.... when he relentlessly bullied DT, had his wife stalk me, told lies about our family....would you like me to go on? We love(d) Saskatchewan, we loved the community and the stress he caused was unbearable...so ya, it's a great day.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:32 AM   #88
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like big sexy Strev is about to be announced as a Bomber again
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:11 AM   #89
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
One of if not the dumbest thing I have ever seen in a sports league.

What does this even accomplish? We are going to lose good minds to the NFL, current players will go to the NFL.

The CFL currently is sprinkled with Huffs blueprint all over the league with coaches and players. Not only have we been raided of players but coaches as well.

At some point the coaching talent is going to decrease as you have less to offer. Lots of complaints about Dave here, but we are lucky to have him here and never had this dumb cap when Huff was in charge or we would be in trouble right now.

With that being said I think we should have elevated Mace over Monson before he was taken off to Toronto.
I agree the coaches cap seems dumb, but this is probably the desired outcome of the cap and might have actually increased the quality play across the league.

Maybe without the cap, Chris Jones, Corey Mace, Rick Campbell, and Ryan Dinwiddie (not to mention all the various assistant coaches like Josh Bell), etc are being paid big $$ in Calgary, and the other teams are employing worse coaches.
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:25 AM   #90
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe? But I dunno. I haven’t found anything more recent than the 2018 article from when it was introduced that states there can be 11 coaches and 14 other football ops staff. I guess depending how loose that “other ops” staff category is that leaves you at least 3 or 4 coaches short in my opinion. I know lots of guys do double duty on roles but in my mind and experience:
1. HC
2. OC
3. DC
4. ST coordinator
5. QB coach
6. WR coach
7. RB coach
8. OL coach
9. DL coach
10. LB coach
11. DB coach
And now maybe these are “luxury” coaches but in my head they’re pretty essential for the Canadian game
12. Safety/Sam linebacker coach
13. DB #2 (corners or halfbacks)
14. Kicking coach
Then there’s passing game/running game QC coaches on both offence and defence but often those would be the position coaches

You can shrink the list by having guys double up on duties but I just can’t see how fewer coaches does anything but reduce the time players spend with an individual coach and get less instruction time and that equals worse football
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:55 PM   #91
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see any value in the coaches cap, it's an answer to a question nobody asked from a commissioner who just likes to be different, as if that's going to go on his resume.

Club finances should dictate on field staffing.

If teams want to pay coaches $2M because they can afford it, go for it. Doesn't mean better coaching.
Having a coaches cap means continuity for coaches and thus teams is less than intended, becuase if there's an extra $10k a year if you go to Winnipeg from Ottawa, guys will take it. $10k for 6 months of work is a lot for what position coaches make.

So, coaches jump around, and loyalty and continuity is less so, which leads to less stable roster and more time is taken for thr carousel of coaches each year, to get trained up on current team schemes, by the HC and the franchise.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:27 AM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think all the blame falls on the commissioner for the administrative cap as it's what some teams (Stampeders I believe were one of them) wanted to keep operating costs down and a response to the Chris Jones years in Regina where they were spending money like crazy to try and buy a Grey Cup.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:32 AM   #93
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps signed three receivers yesterday - Details in the link below, but it appears these three guys have bounced around CFL and NFL practice rosters as well as the USFL.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/31/c...ree-receivers/
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 09:43 AM   #94
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
I agree the coaches cap seems dumb, but this is probably the desired outcome of the cap and might have actually increased the quality play across the league.

Maybe without the cap, Chris Jones, Corey Mace, Rick Campbell, and Ryan Dinwiddie (not to mention all the various assistant coaches like Josh Bell), etc are being paid big $$ in Calgary, and the other teams are employing worse coaches.
The quality of play has significantly decreased.

Not sure how hiring cheap coaches helps make that better.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:27 PM   #95
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darn it, the Riders have signed Shawn Bane.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed receiver Shawn Bane Jr. to a two-year contract extension through the 2025 season.

The 28-year-old was scheduled to hit free agency on February 13 and remains in Riderville after accepting a $40,000 signing bonus. He is scheduled to earn $170,000 in hard money this coming season with up to $12,000 more in performance incentives and all-star bonuses, putting his potential maximum earnings up to $182,000. His hard money will bump to $175,000 in the second year of the pact with the same incentive structure, maxing out at $187,000.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/01/m...ear-extension/
Old 02-01-2024, 11:52 PM   #96
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Darn it, the Riders have signed Shawn Bane.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed receiver Shawn Bane Jr. to a two-year contract extension through the 2025 season.

The 28-year-old was scheduled to hit free agency on February 13 and remains in Riderville after accepting a $40,000 signing bonus. He is scheduled to earn $170,000 in hard money this coming season with up to $12,000 more in performance incentives and all-star bonuses, putting his potential maximum earnings up to $182,000. His hard money will bump to $175,000 in the second year of the pact with the same incentive structure, maxing out at $187,000.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/01/m...ear-extension/

I will never understand DD's choice to let him walk.

I thought he was trending to being a top 2 WR type player in this league....and he still may be. Add in his return abilities. Yeah.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:31 AM   #97
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave simply liked Odoms-Dukes better. Doesn't look like a great decision in hindsight but Dukes is two years younger and probably still has his best days ahead of him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:46 AM   #98
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps re-sign Dozier

Dozier, 30, made 16 starts for the Stampeders during the 2023 season.
The Kansas native made 63 tackles, including four tackles for loss, seven special-teams stops, two sacks, two fumble recoveries.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 11:22 AM   #99
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jameer Thurman is still unsigned and the Stamps have yet to sign Micah Awe. I wonder if we could see a return of Thurman to the Stamps at the expense of letting Awe go.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:39 AM   #100
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Bo falling apart, and Maier having limited arm talent the Stamps ran a lot more WR screen and didn't got vertical.

You need some bigger receivers to get out and block to run those types of plays. I wonder if that played a part. We have some smaller guys, Henry, Michel and Begelton are smaller receivers.