Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2023, 05:32 PM   #81
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put ketchup in my chicken noodle soup. Not the canned stuff, but like the Lipton brand powder stuff.

My sister and I have done it since we were kids and I thought it was normal until I moved out and people started commenting on it. To this day, I still do it and my sister and I are the only people I know to do this. Of course, I haven't polled the world on it, so maybe some people here do it too. I won't eat the stuff unless there is a dollop of ketchup in it. And of course, chopped onion.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:35 PM   #82
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Liver and onions.
Pickled Herring.
Smoked oysters.
Gefilte Fish.
this one is rough. cold gelatinous fish sausages...*shudder*
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:02 PM   #83
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are all sick people.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #84
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Sapporo Ichiban, it's never not in my cupboard. At one point back in the day a cashier dubbed me the "Ichiban Man" cuz they saw me buying it so many times in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I used to love Sapporo Ichiban, but lots of carbs. I don't have instant ramen much anymore but I usually keep some of the Chef Woo ramen they have at Safeway around for emergencies.
I used to eat a lot of the stuff until I watched a Youtube video many years ago calling for people to eat literally anything else. Like it's just empty carbs, megaton sodium, and chemicals with basically zero nutrition. He said if you're hungry it's actually better to eat a chocolate bar like a Snickers or whatever than an Ichiban (or comparable instant ramen thing) cause even though there's lots of sugar it at least has some nutritional value (though obviously not a good option either).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 09:50 AM   #85
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

For when I just cannot be bothered to feed myself properly I always have individually packaged pounds of ground beef in the freezer and a box of hamburger helper in the cupboard. Usually chili macaroni because it's one of the few that doesn't require milk, so if you have that (usually under $2) and the ground beef (buy it on sale and you can get a pound for $3) that's a lot of food for five bucks with almost zero effort.

I guess it's probably not gross to most people but it is pretty trashy stuff, but sometimes you get lazy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:15 AM   #86
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Idahoan au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:18 AM   #87
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
I bring these camping. When I used to go camping.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:20 AM   #88
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those aren't distasetful, those are a tasty easy side dish. Unfortunately you can't buy them in Canada right now, and that bitch Betty Crocker puts flour in hers, so being celiac I can't have 'em! I actually went looking for them on Sunday, as Save-on was the only place I could find them, and they were cleared out. So I emailed them...

Quote:
Thank you for reaching out. Right now we are only selling the casseroles in US stores. We are hoping to get back into Canadian retailers soon but are unsure of when and where that will be. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship products from our online store to Canada right now. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:51 AM   #89
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Corned beef hash. I’m literally eating it right now. My wife thinks I’m a lunatic for liking it, she calls it dog food.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:46 PM   #90
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is making me hungry. I eat all kind of strange food.

Know those boxes you see on social media where you’re asked to state how many you would refuse to eat? I’ve never had even one.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:00 PM   #91
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raw egg yolk on rice is really good. My Japanese friend got me into it, but some people think it's weird.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:13 PM   #92
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I used to eat a lot of the stuff until I watched a Youtube video many years ago calling for people to eat literally anything else. Like it's just empty carbs, megaton sodium, and chemicals with basically zero nutrition. He said if you're hungry it's actually better to eat a chocolate bar like a Snickers or whatever than an Ichiban (or comparable instant ramen thing) cause even though there's lots of sugar it at least has some nutritional value (though obviously not a good option either).
We keep high sodium stuff around for the kid, it helps with her POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) - kind of in the same way diabetics always have certain things on hand to help with lows. I'll have one every once in a blue moon, because nostalgia. Her POTS is also why we have just jars of pickle juice in the fridge, which people always give us funny looks for, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I hated brussel sprouts up until quite recently, and if I ever eat them boiled I still hate them. You gotta roast the #### out of them, develop some real dark caramelization.
Whiskey glazed. So good.

Quote:
In the US they have a steakhouse one that is supposed to be really good but no one's ever been able to find it when they're down there and ask if we want anything brought back. As someone else mentioned, they're nice for camping. We also buy those boxes of sodium potatoes from Costco, that you reconstitute with water, then fry. We mostly keep them in the trailer, but I keep a couple of boxes at home.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:21 PM   #93
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yes, but what about the vibe? It's not just a snack, it warms your soul...with salt, but still..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:24 PM   #94
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hereford Corn Beef in a can (the one with the key to open the can). We called it dog food growing up. Slap some in between white bread and some cheddar cheese. Bam!

Sardines in tomato sauce or spicy oil.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:26 PM   #95
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Hereford Corn Beef in a can (the one with the key to open the can). We called it dog food growing up. Slap some in between white bread and some cheddar cheese. Bam!

Sardines in tomato sauce or spicy oil.
Okay, the second one is one of my go to's. Except I use crackers.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:31 PM   #96
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

For years I used to make ichiban noodles, strain them, add a giant dollop of cheez whiz, the ramen powder and a can of tuna. I’m pretty sure it hit all the food groups.

I also highly, highly recommend peanut butter and mustard on a saltine. You will never understand the weird taste explosion until you try it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:34 PM   #97
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Corned beef hash. I’m literally eating it right now. My wife thinks I’m a lunatic for liking it, she calls it dog food.
With a side of scrambled eggs
Old 01-25-2023, 10:08 PM   #98
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Neither of these foods are bad on their own but this specific combination gets me a lot of flack.

Bowl of milk microwaved until it’s warm/hot but not piping. Add a pack of Graham crackers. It turns into a delicious oatmeal type mush. Or maybe reminiscent of cream of wheat.

It’s ####ing amazing. I eat it at least a couple times a week in the winter.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 05:28 PM   #99
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
For years I used to make ichiban noodles, strain them, add a giant dollop of cheez whiz, the ramen powder and a can of tuna. I’m pretty sure it hit all the food groups.

I also highly, highly recommend peanut butter and mustard on a saltine. You will never understand the weird taste explosion until you try it.
I too would make ichiban and cheese but not with tuna and it was delicious. I also really enjoyed eating dry ichiban with the seasoning sprinkled on it.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:51 PM   #100
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I tried this. Bizarre. I wouldn’t ever think to do this.

Not that bad. Weird alternating between the mustard and PB flavours registering

Worth trying.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote